Bully

Building a... (gulp!) Glock

I’m just catching this thread now.

Bully, you got good advice so far and made some good purchases.

I have the Overwatch triggers same as Mrs.Z. I like the Falx - I’m not a fan of flat faced triggers. 

KKM is my go to barrel, but I have tried some others. Lone Wolf is OK - I have an original and an Alpha .40-9mm Conversion barrel. I also grabbed a Victory first G19 barrel and I am really liking it. Great value to be had there.

Understand that no matter what the advertisement says, you will never get a 1911 trigger feel on a Glock. If you are looking for the feel of a 1911 trigger, get a 1911. That being said, you can clean the Glock trigger up a bit though without sacrificing safety.

First thing I would recommend is the Apex Striker Safety Plunger for the slide - if you have not already grabbed one. Makes a huge difference in the way the trigger feels. I’d rather a stock OEM trigger with the Apex plunger than an aftermarket trigger and a stock plunger.

Second, throw a Ghost connector in there and you are golden. There are lots of options from Ghost. Some require fitting, some don’t. Find one you like, it’s pretty subjective. They are pretty cost effective, so you can try a few without killing your wallet. Remember, the higher “weight” the trigger pull, the crisper the break. As you get lower weight trigger connectors, you will start to get that spongey-feel.

Finally, look at aftermarket triggers. I see you grabbed one already - the Apex is a solid choice by reputation, but I have no time on one.

Don't mess with springs until you get time on the gun so you know what feels different. I use all Wolff springs at the stock weights in all of my Glocks (except for the Recoil Springs - I use OEM for that).

The Apex No Fail Extractor is a good investment as well. It won’t change the way the gun shoots. But is a nice add-on especially if your gun is throwing brass in your face instead of to the side.

For the holsters - what’s your purpose? Carry? CCW? Competition? You 100% going to put a comp in it.

• Like 1

@High Exposure

Thank you. 

I have the stock plunger that I put a good polish on. It seems pretty clean to my non-discerning trigger finger. Break is clean. A bit on the heavier side, I’m thinking 4.5-5 lbs as a seat of the pants guess. That’s fine for me. The connector is an Apex and again, seems fine to me. I’m used to DA triggers on revolvers so this is all good in my head. As far as springs, I’ll run what I have until I figure out what I want out of the gun and what it’s doing while getting run.

As for the barrel, I’m gonna run the stock barrel for the moment. I plan to flush it to the slide. I also have some minor slide treatments that I’m planning on as I now have a milling machine. I have the threaded LWD barrel as it came with the package. I’m not 100% on using it and as of this moment won’t “build” it into the gun. I’m fine with sitting on it. That means that for the moment, no comp. 

Holster will be a gaming holster. I don’t CCW except around the house very occasionally. I have another pistol for that. And by gaming, I mean super casual Sunday nights at Tenafly once they start back up. 

• Like 1

I can’t wait to see what you do brother! I love the look of the barrels flush to the slide, and I like some of the custom slide lightening millwork out there.

I prefer duty type holsters - even for competition. The Safariland ALS is my go-to. They fully cover and protect the gun, they are secure, and the release is lightning fast. Lots of mounting options for ride height and belt attachment as well.

33 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I can’t wait to see what you do brother! I love the look of the barrels flush to the slide, and I like some of the custom slide lightening millwork out there.

I prefer duty type holsters - even for competition. The Safariland ALS is my go-to. They fully cover and protect the gun, they are secure, and the release is lightning fast. Lots of mounting options for ride height and belt attachment as well.

Thank you. 

Ive  been looking at the Red Hill Tactical stuff. I will be running an optic so will need the front cut to accommodate that. Additionally, a duty holster is probably, in some ways, a bit of overkill for me. To further up the ante, the RHT is available with sparkles...

Sorry @High Exposure, I'm gonna run a compensator.  

I took the pistol to the range to make sure it runs.  It does.  Very well, actually.  Now to add stuff until that stops and back it up a bit...  Just kidding.  But I do have a comp from Carver on the way.  I grabbed the 2 port.  Seems a nice compromise between recoil mitigation and size.  

I also need to load up some ammo soon for this pistol.  Always a good time.  

No need to apologize. I have a Roland Special Clone with a KKM Barrel and Comp. Fits perfectly in my Safariland ALS holster for a Glock 34.

These 3 pistols all fit in the same Safariland 6360RDS and 6354DO NSW holsters:

9oKUFea.jpg

G35 with iron sights and X300U

G34 with RMR and TLR-1

G19 with RMR, KKM Comp, and X300U

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

No need to apologize. I have a Roland Special Clone with a KKM Barrel and Comp. Fits perfectly in my Safariland ALS holster for a Glock 34.

These 3 pistols all fit in the same Safariland 6360RDS and 6354DO NSW holsters:

9oKUFea.jpg

G35 with iron sights and X300U

G34 with RMR and TLR-1

G19 with RMR, KKM Comp, and X300U

I'll take another look.  I'm just really not needing anything other than a passive retention.  They seem much more geared to duty gear.  

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Look at the ALS only 6354DO holster. Secure retention, automatically locks in, security release adds absolutely zero time to the draw.

I took a look.  It's overkill for me at this time.  I don't need retention and would prefer something cut lower in the front so I can get out of the holster a bit easier.  This is more of a "game" gun/rig.  I don't carry either for work or in the outside world at all.  Thank you for the suggestions.

All the add ins are added. Mag release is in and I have to say I like it a lot. I have a bum thumb so I find a paddle style on small releases work much better than stock for me.

Heading to the range for function check Monday I hope. 

49F145E3-EF15-4B0D-A9AB-7BA167080AFF.jpeg

Looking good!

Bring your standard mag release and the tools you’d need to swap the mag release out when you go to the range. 

Those extended paddles have a tendency to drop mags while shooting for some people. The paddle extends to right where you want your hand to be to grip the pistol best.

I have little hands and like the paddle so I can reach the release without shifting my whole grip, but had to go back to a Vickers release (extended but no paddle) because I constantly dropped mags while shooting with the paddle.

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Looking good!

Bring your standard mag release and the tools you’d need to swap the mag release out when you go to the range. 

Those extended paddles have a tendency to drop mags while shooting for some people. The paddle extends to right where you want your hand to be to grip the pistol best.

I have little hands and like the paddle so I can reach the release without shifting my whole grip, but had to go back to a Vickers release (extended but no paddle) because I constantly dropped mags while shooting with the paddle.

I run paddles on my 1911's.  I have not accidentally dropped a mag yet.  If it weren't for this stupid injury, I wouldn't run them at all.  

I will for sure bring everything to the range with me when I test fire.  Thanks for the advice and suggestions.  All are much appreciated.  

So, Monday I went to the range...

When I was on the phone with Carver buying the comp, he told me that if I don't replace the recoil spring with something lighter, I would get FTE's.  Well, I did.  New recoil spring and guide rod should be here today.  

I also have a Vortex Venom MRDS on the way.  Now I just have to figure out how to mount the darn thing.  It's all fun and games for me at this point though.  I'm stoked and honestly surprised how much I enjoy shooting it.  

My buddy is loaning me some mag pouches and a holster.  They'll get me rolling for a bit.  I'm looking for a belt and once I source one I like I'll start practicing with the set-up to get my draw consistent.  Look out Tenafly...