Zeke

Torn between two choices

Both are nice.  A few more options with the 700.  The RPR is a chassis gun that can't go into a stock.  The 700 is a stocked gun that can go into a chassis.  Chassis are awesome until you need to hold it in the winter.  They get less awesome after that.  Some of the chassis are nice as they are polymer over aluminum.  The KRG Bravo comes to mind.  

Text me for upgrades when you're ready.  

• Like 1

I’m a fan of the Ruger but either will do. With the money you save on the Remington, take the action to Tier 1 and have it trued up. For a 6.5cm, I would lean towards a 24” barrel but a 22” will do. 

What do you plan on using this for? That might help the selection process

13 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

I’m a fan of the Ruger but either will do. With the money you save on the Remington, take the action to Tier 1 and have it trued up. For a 6.5cm, I would lean towards a 24” barrel but a 22” will do. 

What do you plan on using this for? That might help the selection process

I’d like to hit 12” steel at 1000 if I do my part.

I have a 24” match barrel on my gun and hitting at a 1000 yards isn’t a problem in terms of speed. At that distance it’s me making sure I do my part in terms of trigger and recoil control

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bully said:

Both are nice.  A few more options with the 700.  The RPR is a chassis gun that can't go into a stock.  The 700 is a stocked gun that can go into a chassis.  Chassis are awesome until you need to hold it in the winter.  They get less awesome after that.  Some of the chassis are nice as they are polymer over aluminum.  The KRG Bravo comes to mind.  

Text me for upgrades when you're ready.  

Correction, RPR is NOT a chassis gun. It was designed that way from start. 

It was not an existing action that was dropped into a chassis. 

It was a gun designed from the start. It looks like a chassis, but it is a complete gun. 

I was corrected for that by Ruger engineers.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

I’d like to hit 12” steel at 1000 if I do my part.

Any of them should have no issues. 

Are you going to reload or want to hunt?  If so look at 6.5 PRC.  About 250 FPS more than Creedmoor 

Also look at the Howa 1500 either as action or in MDT chassis. 

12” at 1000 will not be a problem assuming you are not using garbage Ammo. 

Once it goes back subsonic you will have issues... but otherwise 12” not an issue. 

I would even say if you are going to want to do different stock or chasssis, get a Ruger American. 

7 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Any of them should have no issues. 

Are you going to reload or want to hunt?  If so look at 6.5 PRC.  About 250 FPS more than Creedmoor 

Also look at the Howa 1500 either as action or in MDT chassis. 

12” at 1000 will not be a problem assuming you are not using garbage Ammo. 

Once it goes back subsonic you will have issues... but otherwise 12” not an issue. 

I would even say if you are going to want to do different stock or chasssis, get a Ruger American. 

Ruger American has also caught my eye. I will be reloading. I’m looking to start down the rabbit hole 

20 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Agreed.

Simple, well known, plentiful, reliable, and affordable. Great place to start to learn.

I do agree, 308 is a great place to start and learn with, especially since it will make your mistakes much bigger.  The inherement ballistics of modern cartridges are much more forgiving to misreading wind, etc. 

of course if you do reload, you can overcome those issues by loading long.  

If someone is limited to factory Ammo, for target shooting, the new wonder cartridges such as 224 valk, 6mm and 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 300 Norma, 300 PRC are far easier to shoot well, especially at distance. 

308 great to learn on. 

Have a video coming in a bit with an interview with Hornady engineers talking about this. 

• Agree 1

I have the following long range guns we can shoot if you want to play... 

Howa Oryx 308.... this is a Howa 1500 action and barrel in an MDT chassis. Stock from factory. 

Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target in 6.5 PRC. 

Have coming this week Thompson Center LRR in 308...

and have another undisclosed rifle in 300 PRC. :)

Unfortunately waiting on Ammo for the 6.5 and 300. Have less than a box for 6.5. 

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

308, you'll thank me later.  

@Zeke listen to Ray Ray on this one. 308 is a great place to start. I would get a 700 in 22-24" barrel. Like the others said you have many more options as far as stocks, chassis, ammo etc. 

• Thanks 1

At this stage of the game I see no point in starting with a 308. Especially if you intend to shoot to 1k. The price difference between match 308 and 6.5 is negligible. Why handicap yourself? I no longer even have a 308 in a bolt action precision rifle. I love the 308, I really do! But its time has passed. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Maksim said:

Correction, RPR is NOT a chassis gun. It was designed that way from start. 

It was not an existing action that was dropped into a chassis. 

It was a gun designed from the start. It looks like a chassis, but it is a complete gun. 

I was corrected for that by Ruger engineers.

I personally don't care what the Ruger engineers say.  It's a chassis gun that cannot be put into a stock.  The rest is marketing and semantics.  

And I agree with Shane.  I've shot them both and will take the 6.5 over a 308 all day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

At this stage of the game I see no point in starting with a 308. Especially if you intend to shoot to 1k. The price difference between match 308 and 6.5 is negligible. Why handicap yourself? I no longer even have a 308 in a bolt action precision rifle. I love the 308, I really do! But its time has passed. 

Thank you! I would like to point out how much you just sounded like @Ray Ray

as @GRIZ mentioned, I have a 7mm rem mag that is more than capable. I’m jus looking for better, and a little less fatiguing.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

I agree with this. 6.5cm ammo is everywhere now. Price is almost the same between the two rounds as well (for match ammo). The creedmore will do everything the 308 can do plus more. No need to limit yourself

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bully said:

I personally don't care what the Ruger engineers say.  It's a chassis gun that cannot be put into a stock.  The rest is marketing and semantics.  

And I agree with Shane.  I've shot them both and will take the 6.5 over a 308 all day.  

I do agree it is semantics... but Chassis gun is precisely what you are describing, you can take the barreled action and stuff it back into a stock...  You cannot do that with an RPR as it was built around its chassis looking chassis? lol.   This is also one of the main differences, and again, I cannot speak with too much confidence on it beyond me shooting their "chassis" guns at a mile and beyond.  

By Chassis, we are talking MDT, AI, etc.  That don't require bedding and typically offer more adjust-ability stock out of the box. The Chassis itself can be mated to a variety of barreled actions but generally still holds the action by a couple of screws.

In the case of RPR, and again, not an expert on them by any means, my understanding from chats with designers/engineers is that it is more like barreled action is part of the stock/chassis... hence why accuracy at longer ranges out of stock gun without any hand fittings, etc.   Further going off of.

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/11/precision-rifle-stock-or-chassis-system/

http://www.snipercentral.com/ruger-precision-rifle-full-review-2/

I guess bottom line, it offers "chassis features" but it is not built as a chassis gun. 

And here is the more definitive answer... it is a "Precision MSR Stock"

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2015/07/24/ruger-precision-rifle-review/

10 hours ago, Shane45 said:

Let's be realistic here, it's all the same.  Gun companies want you to buy the new hotness. 

556?  Played out

308?  Too old

45acp?  Too big

10mm!  Wow!  6.5 Creedmore!  Amazing 

300BLK!  A game changer!

No, they are not.  Buy a 308 @Zeke, it is proven and reliable and plentiful. 

• Like 1

Forget what I said about .308 Zeke.

I defer to @Shane45 and @Bully

If they say there is no value in learning in .308, then follow their advice. They are the SME on this stuff.

I guess that’s like me telling people to not worry about mastering Iron Sights before going to a RDS.... it may slay a sacred cow, but the BBQ is going to be amazing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1