Zeke

Torn between two choices

2 hours ago, Shane45 said:

The one thing I like about the RPR is the ease with which you can swap barrels. I dont know about the other budget minded systems but I do know there are really good barrels made for the RPR that you can swap yourself.

Eveything on it swaps easily since it takes standard AR15 parts -stock, grip, handguard. It can also use both AR10 and AICS mags. Barrel is easy to swap once you break the barrel but free. Not sure if Ruger fixed it or not on the new generations but on the older ones, it’s an absolute b*tch to get off. 

Well...... if you were a former Sniper, Former Instructor at Rifles only, etc etc etc like Frank G, I'd say get whichever you want because the skillset is well established.  I actually prefer short barrels for 308. All my short action Accuracy Internationals were 20" 308's or were 20's soon after I got them. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:23 AM, Zeke said:

@Rob0115 thread drift, not my fault!

I read through and you’re right it isn’t your fault.  I’d get the 700 in 6.5 for a couple reasons.  While .308 is ubiquitous and there is plenty of good ammo choices I’d choose 6.5 because it’s more BC, there’s als a lot of god ammo choices and, important to me, noticeably softer shooting.  I have 6.5x47L and it has very light recoil.  

Id go 700 because of the large universe of aftermarket support.  RPRhas gotten quite a following but I’d still go 700 action.  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I read through and you’re right it isn’t your fault.  I’d get the 700 in 6.5 for a couple reasons.  While .308 is ubiquitous and there is plenty of good ammo choices I’d choose 6.5 because it’s more BC, there’s als a lot of god ammo choices and, important to me, noticeably softer shooting.  I have 6.5x47L and it has very light recoil.  

Id go 700 because of the large universe of aftermarket support.  RPRhas gotten quite a following but I’d still go 700 action.  

I compare the 700 to the 1911, the rpr to the Glock. My problem with the rpr is it’s ugly as hell vs a 700 imho. And it’s moar dollars also.

On 4/15/2019 at 6:33 PM, Bully said:

Guys, I shoot a .223 in precision rifle matches at 600 yards.  Don't look to me for any real advice.  I'm obviously way behind the curve.

There’s @Bullybeing modest. 

10 hours ago, Zeke said:

I compare the 700 to the 1911, the rpr to the Glock. My problem with the rpr is it’s ugly as hell vs a 700 imho. And it’s moar dollars also.

So you already know the answer.  The force is with you.  

• Agree 1