Zeus2112

Ammo in Essex county (or nearby)

Hi.

New to the forum, and also picking up my first firearm this week—92FS Beretta.

Wondering where to buy cheap range ammo in or near Essex County (Maplewood area). Dick's on RT 22 used to sell? RTSP is a great place, but their ammo is pretty high. Any brick and mortar suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

17 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

Can you buy ammo in PA without a permit?  Yes - no permit required, just need ID in some places to show age.  At least that's what it used to be last time I was there.

Is NJ really going to ban internet orders?  Not yet, but it seems to be an obvious next step with the push for "gun control" that in the end accomplishes nothing.  I'd be more surprised if they didn't at least try.

thanks

SGAmmo is a good vendor and I have bought from them in the past.

TargetSportsUSA is usually the cheapest price on the Internet, especially if you are buying by the case and therefore get free shipping. And they ship using over-boxes, so the case arrives clean and not beat up. (If that matters.)

If you join Prime Ammo you get another 8% off. However TSUSA will charge NJ sales tax.

And shipping to NJ is one day. I ordered this afternoon; it will be here tomorrow. (That's one day from when they ship it. Sometimes when they're very busy it can take several days to go out the door. But depending on conditions that happens elsewhere too.)

So price your ammo purchase taking all factors into consideration.

In addition to SGAmmo and TargetSportsUSA, one of my favorite vendors is Sportsman's Guide.  They usually have a very good selection of stuff on sale and you don't have to buy massive quantities.  Also, they regularly have free shipping for orders over $49.

Otherwise I think Dick's is your closest option, but I don't shop there anymore.

28 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

In addition to SGAmmo and TargetSportsUSA, one of my favorite vendors is Sportsman's Guide.  They usually have a very good selection of stuff on sale and you don't have to buy massive quantities.  Also, they regularly have free shipping for orders over $49.

Those are my go to choices as well.  Ammo is relatively inexpensive right now,  compared to where it's been the last few years.  I would suggest you stock up while you can. 

2 hours ago, GunsnFreedom said:

While you can, buy online.  And don't be afraid to "pull the trigger" and buy more than you think you need.

25 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Ammo is relatively inexpensive right now,  compared to where it's been the last few years.  I would suggest you stock up while you can. 

These are the two correct answers. Anyone that experienced the madness after the Sandy Hook school shooting can attest on how difficult/expensive it was to find ammo afterwards.

Plus, with all the new crap the anti 2A crowd is trying to get passed, stock up what you think you'll need for quite a while. You'll be glad you did.

All the ones I recommended are online vendors that I have bought from. They have great deals when they got free shipping and rebates.

Palmetto State Armory https://palmettostatearmory.com/

Natchez https://www.natchezss.com/

Cabelas Bass Pro Shop https://www.cabelas.com/

The Armory https://www.the-armory.com/

Target Sports USA https://www.targetsportsusa.com/

Found this on Palmetto State Armory. 1000 rounds 169.99 delivered.

You will need to send them a copy of your FID initially and all future orders will ship without issues unless the laws change.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/cci-5200-9mm-115-grain-1000-round-bulk-pack-cc5000bk1000.html

Thanks everyone! Some great info here. I was hoping to find some brick and mortar that was nearby and that I hadn't found already, as I promised my wife I wouldn't keep ammo in the house...Thus stocking up from an online shop isn't really an option for me (yet?) :)

Appreciate all the advice though, thanks again

1 hour ago, Zeus2112 said:

I wouldn't keep ammo in the house...

Kind of like having a safety vest on a boat with no air in it.

Maybe a compromise could be keeping ammo in a locked (padlock) ammo can and the pistol in a locked gun safe?

Most people are setup that way to begin with.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

and that I hadn't found already, as I promised my wife I wouldn't keep ammo in the house...T

So, she's OK with you owning and possessing a handgun in the house, but not OK with having ammo there?

Sounds.... :scratchhead:

LOL, I was waiting for all this.

Yeah, my wife isn't a fan...I had to make my case for the pistol, "bullet proof", so-to-speak...So on top of locking the gun, and then keeping it in a safe box that is locked, I said I would not keep ammo in the house...Clearly the pistol isn't for home defense, but only for shooting at the range.

2 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

Yeah, my wife isn't a fan...I had to make my case for the pistol, "bullet proof", so-to-speak...So on top of locking the gun, and then keeping it in a safe box that is locked, I said I would not keep ammo in the house...Clearly the pistol isn't for home defense, but only for shooting at the range.

You do you. Besides you should ask around these parts and see how many have sneak new guns behind their wive's back.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

Put a padlock on your fire extinguisher and show her the key in the upstairs bedroom. Maybe that will wake her up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

Yeah, my wife isn't a fan..

My wife isn't a fan either of the firearms or the ammo, or the sport in general. But she realizes that its not fair to push her wishes/beliefs on others. She refuses to go to the range with me (that could be a good thing). When something new follows me home, she just looks the other way. When the UPS/Fedex guy shows up with a box, and it looks like he's getting a hernia, she just shakes her head (and goes to off to Kohl's).

So, we have an informal agreement. I don't count the number of shoes, outfits and purses in her closet, and she doesn't count the number of firearms or cases of ammo in my possession.

See how easy it is to "compromise"? You should try that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My wife gets really pissed when I buy guns or ammo. More so with new guns since she has no idea how much ammo I have.

She yells at me then she is fine a few hours later.....But in the end it's well worth it since I still have my new gun!:)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

My wife gets really pissed when I buy guns or ammo.

Actually, my wife is neutral, she really doesn't say much or care about the money. On occasion, when I bring something home or cleaning something, she'll pick it up, but has no interest after that.

25 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

More so with new guns since she has no idea how much ammo I have.

I don't have a basement, so it's tough to find place for the ammo, can't put all that weight in one place. When she sees the cardboard box in the closet, all I hear is, "another one????"

27 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

She yells at me then she is fine a few hours later.

Mine has never yelled, I just use the "You never said anything when I bought all those cordless drills, saws and other tools to do all your renovation projects...". Works every time! :good:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

Thanks everyone! Some great info here. I was hoping to find some brick and mortar that was nearby and that I hadn't found already, as I promised my wife I wouldn't keep ammo in the house...Thus stocking up from an online shop isn't really an option for me (yet?) :)

Put them in the ammo cans that are indescript and put them in the garage with your tool box less one box for the bedroom dresser drawer! 

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

So, she's OK with you owning and possessing a handgun in the house, but not OK with having ammo there?

Sounds.... :scratchhead:

I know, right?  My wife doesn't think about Ammo at all.  It is as if it doesn't exist, unless she sees too much money being directed in that direction.  Only the first gun in the house was a big deal.   Much better to get guns that look alike and never put them next to each other.  Even a Glock and a Smith & Wesson are similar enough to pass the test.  Get all revolvers in stainless format so that they all look alike.    Rule of thumb... never ask about shoes unless she brings up guns or ammo.  

I would avoid supporting Dicks, as they don't respect our personal liberties.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Much better to get guns that look alike and never put them next to each other.  Even a Glock and a Smith & Wesson are similar enough to pass the test.

Or, if someone is a Liberal/Democrat or the MSM, this chart fits that description:

XoG6exjmY3ajWQbgCB45aNXlBML6H4MVWV3He42A

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

If you're ever headed to Cherry Ridge you can always pick up ammo from me on your way there.

• Like 1