brucin

SKS designed to launch grenades

I recently came across an SKS (YUGO) that had an odd muzzle device. The seller said it was for launching grenades. He said the gun would use blank cartridges to launch them.

The price was pretty good but I was worried about the quality of the rifling in the barrel since the rifles primary purpose was to only fire blanks.

Anyone have info on these and did I pass on a good deal at $350?

Yugo SKS 59/66 are equipped with a grenade launcher/flash hider combo. Grenades can be launched using a blank and the grenade ladder sight open which blocks the gas system and send all the gas energy towards launching the grenade. Obviously blank cartridges must be used , using live ammo wold have catastrophic consequences.  The system is very similar to what used by the Beretta BM59 to launch Nato-Energa grenades.  

Your worries are unjustified as the primary use of the rifle is to shoot bullet ammo and grenade launching is occasional.  Rifling and bore must be checked as per any other surplus rifle. 

$350 is a good price for an SKS 59/66 in excellent condition.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Plus keep in mind... most of these guns have been lightly shot since being rearsenaled, put into storage, sold to US markets.

The probably of the gun damaged from the grenade launcher is about the same as someone with an Arisaka hitting an airplane with those airplane sights. =) 

7 hours ago, BM59 said:

Yugo SKS 59/66 are equipped with a grenade launcher/flash hider combo. Grenades can be launched using a blank and the grenade ladder sight open which blocks the gas system and send all the gas energy towards launching the grenade. Obviously blank cartridges must be used , using live ammo wold have catastrophic consequences.  The system is very similar to what used by the Beretta BM59 to launch Nato-Energa grenades.  

Your worries are unjustified as the primary use of the rifle is to shoot bullet ammo and grenade launching is occasional.  Rifling and bore must be checked as per any other surplus rifle. 

$350 is a good price for an SKS 59/66 in excellent condition.   

If it's also a flash hider then wouldn't it be a no go in New Germany or would that be the second evil feature?

They used to be very common.  I have one and enjoy occasionally launching a dummy grenade.

Not sure that NJ interprets the muzzle device as a flash hider.  For what it’s worth I’ve had mine out to public ranges with no question.

More info on launching grenades if you’re interested:

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/74260-m1a2-grenade-adapter-nj-legal/

10 hours ago, brucin said:

If it's also a flash hider then wouldn't it be a no go in New Germany or would that be the second evil feature?

The muzzle devise on the Yugo 59/66 is not in any way a Flash Hider - it is strictly a Grenade launcher.

The barrels are not  chrome lined, but good quality - a visual inspection of the bore would be very helpful to see if the barrel is corded from surplus ammo, or shot out. In most (not every) case the 59/66 out in the market are in pretty good condition overall........

It doesn't matter if it's a flash hider or not, since it's not a semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine the 2 feature clause is irrelevant.  

That being said, it's not a flash hider anyways.  It's a spigot type rifle grenade discharger.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I should have jumped on this. Oh well i'll check out the show in July maybe the guy will still have it.

I have one... plus training grenades/blanks. Why? America... even in NJ.

mKxWeHn.jpg

hWSk4PW.jpg

As mentioned, flash hider stuff doesn’t matter... not a detachable magazine. Usually, those adapters do not have holes in them. The one I saw at the Maine Cabela’s did have holes...