Sniper

Looking for a Flat Bed Open Trailer Supplier

Wondering if any members here work for a trailer supplier or know someone. I'm looking for a new open 20 foot flat bed equipment trailer with a wood deck, the type you see used to haul backhoes or skid steer type equipment or even cars.

Anyone know of someone in the state?

Actually i think it might not work.  I have fender wells.  Yeah.  You need a deck over.  My friend has a 12k 20 ft deck over.  That would work better. 

Ok.  Now that im actually reading thoroughly your needs. You need to either buy.  Or rent a deckover for awhile.  

I can work around the fender wells, I did when I built the last one. It's actually better with the lower deck, since there's a maximum overall height I have to stay under. A deckover takes up more of that space.

Ext2a.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I can work around the fender wells, I did when I built the last one. It's actually better with the lower deck, since there's a maximum overall height I have to stay under. A deckover takes up more of that space.

Ext2a.jpg

Wow, that is quite cool. 

29 minutes ago, bennj said:

That is neat! Looks like a front porch on the other side. Would love to see inside pics.

3 minutes ago, 10X said:

It’s about the right size to be a good reloading/gun room. 

Yep, there was a porch. It also made a great Man Cave, and a place to escape from wifey. Here's some pics of the inside:

Ext3.jpg

cards3.jpg

cave3a.jpg

cave7a.jpg

cave5.jpg

kit1a.jpg

cave8.jpg

Hall4.JPG

Bath3.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sniper said:

Ext2a.jpg

What was the weight all said and done? How fast on the road can this travel -- safe highway speeds? 

Not in NJ but My family owns Carrs Trailers in Muncy PA -- https://www.carrsofpa.com

It's under 3 hours away but they will have it in stock -- worth the drive if you want it today -- They carry lots of different brands and try to stock everything so you can drive home with it immediately -- no ordering and waiting -- Call and talk to Rich Jr. Tell him his cousin Jeremy sent you

28 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

What was the weight all said and done? How fast on the road can this travel -- safe highway speeds? 

It was around 8K when completed. I didn't weight it  but based on others who build similar ones, they weighed theirs. I pulled it at 50+ to see how it traveled, the guy who purchased it from me ran it up the parkway at 65 and didn't have any issues. Obviously, it wasn't built to be pulled all over the country like a travel trailer. From what I've read, these tiny houses only get moved a few times during their lives, so setting a land speed record isn't usually a goal.

Thanks for the link to the trailers, I'll check them out. I actually bought this trailer out by Harrisburg, but that place won't have more built for at least a month, and I want to get started building sooner.

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

It was around 8K when completed. I didn't weight it  but based on others who build similar ones, they weighed theirs. I pulled it at 50+ to see how it traveled, the guy who purchased it from me ran it up the parkway at 65 and didn't have any issues. Obviously, it wasn't built to be pulled all over the country like a travel trailer. From what I've read, these tiny houses only get moved a few times during their lives, so setting a land speed record isn't usually a goal.

Thanks for the link to the trailers, I'll check them out. I actually bought this trailer out by Harrisburg, but that place won't have more built for at least a month, and I want to get started building sooner.

What brand trailer did you build on last time?

I was more thinking if a built tiny house would make it up to NH from here and not be a miserable drive

2 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

What brand trailer did you build on last time?

I was more thinking if a built tiny house would make it up to NH from here and not be a miserable drive

I got the trailer new from the manufacturer, Applalachian Trailers, out near Harrisburg. I would have had no concerns towing it that far, based on how I built it. It would definitely hold up for that trip. I had some people from around the country interested in buying it, but they couldn't find the financing they needed.

But, like I said before, this wasn't built to be a lightweight, aerodynamic travel trailer, that you would tour all 48 states. I used all the same materials found in your house, it was a true house, just built on a trailer, instead of a foundation. So, it was heavier than the lightweight plastic and thin insulation used in traditional travel trailers.

I used to work car and motorcycle trade shows at Carlisle Events in PA, you can get some smoking deals on trailers on the last day of a show.  As luck would have it, the Spring show is next weekend.  The trailer vendors sold mostly enclosed trailers, but they also had some pretty heavy duty open trailers too.  Even if you don't find what you are looking for, the show is a boatload of fun.

https://www.carlisleevents.com/events/events-detail/index?id=spring+carlisle

48 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I got the trailer new from the manufacturer, Applalachian Trailers, out near Harrisburg.

I actually have an Appalachian flatbed trailer for work -- I'm pretty sure Appalachian is one of the brands Rich sells -- He might have exactly what you want ready to go

11 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

I actually have an Appalachian flatbed trailer for work -- I'm pretty sure Appalachian is one of the brands Rich sells -- He might have exactly what you want ready to go

Thanks, I checked his website to see what he had. There was one that had potential, but it was a brand I never heard of. The other thing, he's a good 3-1/2 to 4 hour haul from here one way, so that's kinda out of the question, but thanks for the tip.

10 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Did you try Hecht trailers  in Toms River.

I actually just got back a little while ago from there and picked one up. I found a trailer, although not exactly what I wanted, that will work. Cost me a few bucks more than the guy out in Harrisburg, but I have it and can start the project, and not wait multiple weeks.

54 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Yea I talked to Rick this morning, says he doesn’t like Appalachian trailers — didn’t get into details

I didn't have any issues with the Appalachian, but I wasn't using it for it's typical purpose. They seemed to be a decent equipment trailer, 4 wheel brakes, decent welds, radial tires, decent axles. After all, it's a trailer, not a sports car. :mosking:

The dude at Hecht's was trying to give me the sales pitch on how good the fold down ramps were, and when I said I could care less and didn't even want them, he got all confused. Then he was going on and on that my truck couldn't handle a 10K load... Until I told him what I was going to do with it..... Then, the light bulb went off and he said he's received a bunch of calls from people looking for a tiny house trailer.

13 hours ago, Sniper said:

Then, the light bulb went off and he said he's received a bunch of calls from people looking for a tiny house trailer.

Heard this from Rich too -- Looking for a tiny house trailer and actually wanting to pay for a tiny house trailer are 2 completely different things -- Does make you think there's a market for it though...

3 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Heard this from Rich too -- Looking for a tiny house trailer and actually wanting to pay for a tiny house trailer are 2 completely different things -- Does make you think there's a market for it though...

That's true, a specific tiny house trailer is easily another $1K or more over a standard equipment trailer. There is definitely a market, but what I found out with the previous I built, the target market (mostly Millennials) are broke, and have no money. Lots of interest but no money.

1 hour ago, Heavyopp said:

I go the impression that they wanted completed tiny houses -- like a selection of different models to choose from -- not just the base trailer

It's both, many think they can just buy the trailer, and in a weekend or two, build themselves a house out of scrap lumber found in a dumpster, and save a lot of money. There are tons of partially completed houses on the market that many started, only to find out how time consuming and expensive it was. Others want to buy a completed tiny house, as they don't have the funds or credit to buy a regular house.

I've done tons of different types of construction, and even for me, none of it was difficult, but many parts took longer than anticipated due to working in a small space. Also, price and costs wasn't an issue with all the materials, so I wasn't scrounging around for materials.

I'm actually going with a completely different design and engineering plan to see if I can actually make some money on THIS one.

42 minutes ago, Sniper said:

It's both, many think they can just buy the trailer, and in a weekend or two, build themselves a house out of scrap lumber found in a dumpster

Well, they can...problem is they end up with a house that looks like it was built in a weekend or two from scrap lumber found in a dumpster. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, 10X said:

Well, they can...problem is they end up with a house that looks like it was built in a weekend or two from scrap lumber found in a dumpster. 

This is totally relevant to where the dumpster is -- I've been on some jobs where even I was amazed at what got thrown out -- Plenty of times I pulled something out of the dumpster for myself or to re-sell