Sniper

Looking for a Flat Bed Open Trailer Supplier

21 hours ago, Sniper said:

I'm actually going with a completely different design and engineering plan to see if I can actually make some money on THIS one.

Yea,  was wondering about that...

I have the same problem with most of my "fun" projects -- Yes I can make money -- But I would have been better off just going to work

Usually end up making like $6.50 an hour once I actually figure out how much time I put into a project

7 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

This is totally relevant to where the dumpster is -- I've been on some jobs where even I was amazed at what got thrown out -- Plenty of times I pulled something out of the dumpster for myself or to re-sell

I follow the tiny house trend and forums and there were many kids, due to limited budgets, spent like 6 months scouring construction sites or Craigslist looking for free or excess materials to build their houses. Unfortunately, they ended up with a hodge podge built house made with all different materials, windows, doors, etc.

7 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Yea,  was wondering about that...

I have the same problem with most of my "fun" projects -- Yes I can make money -- But I would have been better off just going to work

Usually end up making like $6.50 an hour once I actually figure out how much time I put into a project

Ha, that was kinda the situation with the last one. I wrestled with building a basic house or a nice house for the first one, and opted for nice. So I put in a lot of upgraded materials, fixtures, mechanical system, some high tech and really over built it. Many considered it to be a luxury tiny house.

Problem was, I built a Lexus, when the marketplace could only afford a used Toyota Corolla, and at that price range, still couldn't get approved for financing. I ended up almost giving the house away,  just to get it out of here.

In the end, I think I made like $8/ hour. It's a good thing I'm retired and not depending on that money to live.

So, this go around, I simplified the design to go with more basic materials that won't be as labor intensive to build. I learned with the previous tiny house the important point was : Price first, followed by "looks nice" second. That's it. These kids couldn't care less about mechanical systems, functionality or features.

Hopefully this time, I can get a raise to Murphy's $15/hour wage, at least. :yahoo:

40 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Question ? Does a tiny house need Some form of building permits and  a Co.  

Nope.

That's  one of the attractions to them. Since it's on wheels, and not on a foundation, the towns have no say. That's how some kids get away with building them so shoddy. They're treated like a travel trailer, although some towns take issues with allowing someone to live in one full time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, W2MC said:

@coldsolderjoint --- build one out of used pallets?

Ever actually try and take a pallet apart? -- Not as easy as you would think  

Then there's the dirt embedded in the wood -- No way I'd run a piece of pallet wood thru the surface planer

20 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Then there's the dirt embedded in the wood -- No way I'd run a piece of pallet wood thru the surface planer

Yep - @coldsolderjoint is doing it

48 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Those are two items I thought of too. Taking apart the pallets is a pain. Many boards get split in the process. Plus, you have no idea what the wood has been exposed to (dirt, chemicals, oils, etc.). Not a great idea to use on the inside of a small, confined living environment.