vladtepes

MRO VS Eotech

Looking at a new SBR optic.. the Leopold is good but I really want to switch to a green reticle.. they will be about the same price.. 

looking at the MRO VS Eotech.. Eotech was pretty good for me when I ran it before.. but open to input.. 

Do I remember correctly that you have some astigmatism issues? It seems to be a consensus that the MRO is better than most other dots for people that have an astigmatism. I know that Eo's have been particularly bad for mine. Plus I dont like Eotech for a number of reasons. So MRO vote here.

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Holosun or Primary Arms a no-go?

I only have a handful of guns so when it comes to parts I normally stretch up a little higher in price for something I perceive as better.. with that said I do have a PA scope on my 308 that is pretty good.. but from a quality perspective my Trijicon scope seems much better..

34 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Do I remember correctly that you have some astigmatism issues? It seems to be a consensus that the MRO is better than most other dots for people that have an astigmatism. I know that Eo's have been particularly bad for mine. Plus I dont like Eotech for a number of reasons. So MRO vote here.

Yes you do remember right.. for whatever reason I had an eotech before and it was not that bad.. the deltapoint is pretty clear.. but main goal is going over to a green reticle.. maybe it’s just in my head but I feel like I pick it up faster..

ACOG. I think that's the only optic that isn't affected by my astigmatism. So far I've had no luck with an EOTech, PA red dot, Aimpoint PRO, Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism scope. I need to find someone that owns an MRO I suppose. 

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

ACOG. I think that's the only optic that isn't affected by my astigmatism. So far I've had no luck with an EOTech, PA red dot, Aimpoint PRO, Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism scope. I need to find someone that owns an MRO I suppose. 

not a chance.. this is for my 7.5in SBR.. an ACOG would be so out of place.. LOL 

You dont have that issue with an ACOG because its an etched reticle, not a projected dot. However, if memory serves, the way the etched reticle is reflected off the prism, it can have its own issues with astigmatism that causes you to lose some of the reticle image. And even though they make a 1.5x acog, I hate that .5! It sucks my eye in!

I feel like I see green better too!

Standard forum answer- buy both. Put your favorite on the SBR, then build another rifle for the other optic. Problem solved haha.

I haven’t had a chance to get behind a MRO yet but I read the earlier generations had a bit of a fisheye/magnification problem. Even tho there is no magnification (obviously) the glass seemed to instill that sense anyways, like you were looking at 1.1x. But what do I know, I haven’t used it yet. 

Little late to the game, but I went EO because of the parallax difference. 0 at 100 vs about 9” IIRC.

Plus I am cross eye dominant, both eyes open doesn’t work out so well as point shooting, so I prefer the bigger window vs. tube.

I got rid if my EOTech for an MRO, I love it. I also have a Leupold LCO, I thought it worked in both red and green dot, but I was wrong. Either way the LCO is awesome too.

I returned my Eotech XPS back when they were running the refunds... Not that i entirely regret the decision, but I did prefer it to my MRO.

The MRO is nice and all, and it doesnt have any drawbacks that effect it's performance, but it does have the slight magnification a blue tint, and can have led refraction(red streaks) at odd lighting angles.

The Eotech had non of that, but at the end of the day the MRO keeps better zero in temp flux, and i think its design is inherently better for durability.  

My disdain for EOTech and L3 in general is well documented here. I had nothing but issues with mine and the bunch of others we had issued to Team members that I was responsible for. Yeah, they are in use with military units, but I don’t have the supply resources to swap batteries every day/job, spare optics for replacement when they constantly fail, or easy range access to make sure the zero is good before taking the rifle to work. Hell, we’d have to spend the first hour and a half, and an ~1/8th of our allotted range ammo for each range training session just chasing zeros on EO equipped guns that were zeroed 2 weeks ago.... :facepalm: 

It’s funny that’s I did not have any of those issues with the Aimpoint RDS optics that replaced them.

Anyway, I shitcanned all of my EOTurds but one for refunds - I have a AA battery model that I forgot was in the safe. I slapped it on a SW MP15-22.

I have one MRO that I traded a buddy an Aimpoint PRO for - He needed the PRO to be in compliance with Dept policy.

The MRO is OK. None of the EO issues have surfaced. Although I do like the size/weight of the MRO, I do marginally prefer the Aimpoint PRO. 

I am happy enough with the MRO though, I wouldn’t trade back.

* Sidenote: I have a spare Tangodown MRO cover if anyone is looking and is interested. I accidentally added two to my cart...

On 4/18/2019 at 7:07 PM, ChrisJM981 said:

Just you know.. asking the stupid question in case there's someone stupider in the room, but are you using prescription glasses with these optics? 

A 4x acog and 1x prismatic scope are essentially the same thing, the only difference should be lens sizes, target magnification, and build quality. 

You can have issues with dots and holographic sights even with a corrected astigmatism because of the nature of how those optics work. Nothing is going to fix an uncorrected astigmatism..... well except making the image bigger until your brain has enough to work with to fill in the crap data from the astigmatism. i.e. if the acog was better, it may just because it made the image larger. 

If you don't have prescription glasses... get them. 

If you do and dots are rough,  find an optometrist who will work with you and get you a scrip to mitigate it and get special shooting glasses. 

7 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Just you know.. asking the stupid question in case there's someone stupider in the room, but are you using prescription glasses with these optics? 

A 4x acog and 1x prismatic scope are essentially the same thing, the only difference should be lens sizes, target magnification, and build quality. 

You can have issues with dots and holographic sights even with a corrected astigmatism because of the nature of how those optics work. Nothing is going to fix an uncorrected astigmatism..... well except making the image bigger until your brain has enough to work with to fill in the crap data from the astigmatism. i.e. if the acog was better, it may just because it made the image larger. 

If you don't have prescription glasses... get them. 

If you do and dots are rough,  find an optometrist who will work with you and get you a scrip to mitigate it and get special shooting glasses. 

I have prescription glasses and still have the issue. I was told that custom shooting glasses are going to run around $1500. At that price I might as well look into Lasik. 

9 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I have prescription glasses and still have the issue. I was told that custom shooting glasses are going to run around $1500. At that price I might as well look into Lasik. 

What's your scrip? $1500 sounds way too high.

3 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

What's your scrip? $1500 sounds way too high.

That was from another shooter that purchased a pair. It's not a strong script aside from correcting the astigmatism. I dont remember off the top of my head. That reminds me I need to make an eye exam soon...

12 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

That was from another shooter that purchased a pair. It's not a strong script aside from correcting the astigmatism. I dont remember off the top of my head. That reminds me I need to make an eye exam soon...

Well, I have pretty significant nearsightedness to the point that most shooting glasses can't accommodate it. I also went with a "discounts? You mean MSRP without a markup is a major sale, right?" optical boutique to get mine done, and I hit $530. 

If you have minor near or farsightedness and some astigmatism, you should be able to get something for under $400.  If you just do poly-carbonate in a decent frame with ansi side shields, you can likely keep it damn cheap. 

You got bad advice. 

On 7/10/2019 at 10:56 PM, ChrisJM981 said:

I had lasik done 2 years ago which corrected an astigmatism for me and I still don’t see the most crisp dot, my MRO is the best of the 3 I own though. 

When i wore glasses I had an EOTech, worked great. Light sensitivity was a side effect of getting lasik done and the EO was too bright for my eyes so I got rid of it. 

3 of my rifles have red dots, 1 has a NX8 and another has a Trijicon 1-8, LVPO’s work best for me, just sadly can’t afford a $1600 optic on all of my guns 

12 minutes ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

3 of my rifles have red dots, 1 has a NX8 and another has a Trijicon 1-8, LVPO’s work best for me, just sadly can’t afford a $1600 optic on all of my guns 

Steiner P4Xi.

Costs just a little bit more than an MRO or PRO.

Best value in LPVO out there - IMO.

4 hours ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

Got the trijicon 1-8 on my 3gun rifle. 

considering one of these for my .22 upper. https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x24mm-ffp-illuminated-rifle-scope-with-acss-raptor-556-reticle-black

7 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Steiner P4Xi.

Costs just a little bit more than an MRO or PRO.

Best value in LPVO out there - IMO.

hmm I'll look in to it, thanks! I had a Leupold 1.5-4x on my LWRC and I just sold it...great glass I just wasn't a fan of it, I wanted a true 1x instead but I paid $300 for it so that wasn't a bad deal :) thanks for the pointer on the steiner, looks like a tank! (wanna trade a leupold LCO for one ;) ), I see these going for $650 most websites, is that about right? I paid $380 for my MRO + geissele mount, hopefully I can find a PX4i for less?

3 hours ago, raz-0 said:

considering one of these for my .22 upper. https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x24mm-ffp-illuminated-rifle-scope-with-acss-raptor-556-reticle-black

I run my Trijicon on my AR10, it's a great optic but too heavy and bulky for me to put on a AR15. I hear great things about the PA 1-6, that's a top tier scope for a .22 I recently got a HK416 .22lr, I'm gonna run something cheap on like a PA Red dot or a cheapo LPVO

On 7/12/2019 at 3:36 PM, raz-0 said:

I have the trijicon 1-6 on my 14in AR.. and it is a really nice optic.. I have almost all trijicon optics now.. I think they are really well made and work well.. only slightly on the pricey side.. 

In most of my comparisons between Nightforce and Trijicon, I like Trijicon more. Their glass is slightly better, I just hate their turrets on everything except the accupower models. I dislike the lack of audible clicks in the adjustments with the MRO, ACOG, Accupoints...basically everything they make except the Accupower. I like how the Accupower requires no tools for the zero stop and the turrets have 1/4 MOA adjustments, but the Accupower 1-8 is a tank for an optic. 

The biggest advantage to Trijicon over nightforce is the ability to shop around for a better price. Nightforce sets a strict rule on their pricing so unless you're buying used or on ebay, you won't find much love on the price. I bought my MRO for $300 +$85 Geissele mount. The Accupower 1-8 has an MSRP of $1600 I believe, but I've seen sites selling for $1200, sometimes as low as $900.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

I dislike the lack of audible clicks in the adjustments with the MRO, ACOG, Accupoints...basically everything they make except the Accupower.

Ooooh, I really like my MRO, but yeah, those asshats! No tactile/audible adjustment clicks? SERIOUSLY! What the eff, Trijicon?