hartsfw

Turkish 1938 Mauser Safety not working

Hello folks, I've got a bit of a conundrum here. I bought a 1938 Turkish Mauser from gunbroker recently, and after receiving it I discovered that the safety is stuck in the Fire position and will not engage, even with the rifle cocked. to get it to function I have to take the bolt out of the rifle and manually push the firing pin backwards to allow me to rotate the safety into the disassembly position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7cQ4QM76s

I talked with another friend who suggested the problem might be the sear on the trigger not engaging correctly so I purchased another trigger assembly and replaced the old one. Unfortunately the problem still persists, is there anyone who might be able to help?

On 4/19/2019 at 6:37 PM, amish869 said:

Silly question, but did you disassemble the bolt and inspect the parts?

Whoops! I forgot that I posted this actually. At first I didn't disassemble the bolt because it didn't seem like any of the pieces of bolt itself were malfunctioning. After speaking with a few people and more closely inspecting some of the bolt parts, It appears the cocking piece itself is the problem.

I hadn't closely compared them with parts from another bolt, so I didn't notice or realize how much the end of that surface had worn down. Its supposed to be much pointer so to speak and I think that is what is keeping the safety from being able to be engaged. I ordered a new cocking piece that should be here in a couple days, and this time things should work.

IMAG0375.thumb.jpg.9b3835d57abdf4b21de89771a5e58f1b.jpg

^ The cocking piece from my Mauser as opposed to one in better condition

s-l640.jpg