Ray Ray

Ruger Wrangler, winner or flame out?

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

So can you fan the hammer on these things?

supposedly you can.  I have not tested this yet as I do not have any snap caps for dry firing.  However, if I cock the hammer back and hold down on the trigger, I can cycle through the entire cylinder while moving the hammer back and forth... so I think it will work.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Who would have thought a single action, 6 shot 22 with fixed sights would be the beez kneez at the NRA show. 

Oh, and the Henry side loader. 

Ray Ray, believe me, at the media event Ruger flew me out for... they devoted three hours to the gun... out of 4 days of new product demos. 

I believe they sold in a week what they planned to all year, or what heritage sells. 

Ita just that it is a cheap gun for around $200 that is both fun and cheap to shoot. Add in reliable, good build quality and lifetime warranty and you have a winner. 

I suppose first hint it would be a hit would be seeing the former Delta and Seals at the training academy, Ie the sniper instructors, have the biggest smiles shooting the Wrangler.

3 hours ago, Maksim said:

Ray Ray, believe me, at the media event Ruger flew me out for... they devoted three hours to the gun... out of 4 days of new product demos. 

:facepalm:

21 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Who would have thought a single action, 6 shot 22 with fixed sights would be the beez kneez at the NRA show. 

Oh, and the Henry side loader. 

Of course!  This is supposed to be fun!

This new Ruger oozes fun!

• Agree 1

I finally got to try out the Wrangler I picked up a few weeks ago. The fit and finish are good IMO.  There are some gaps in the fit of the grip frame but not anything I'm concerned about in a $200 gun.  Great job with the cerakote and bluing.  The trigger is a bit heavy and not as good as my Single Six.  It will probably smooth out with use. My Single Six probably has a bazillion rounds through it.  The Wrangler's loading gate is a little stiff but that will work in.

How does it shoot?  From a rest when I was doing my job with the right ammo I was able to shoot 2"+ groups.  About the same as my Single Six. I could probably do better if i wasnt over 100 years old.  The sights were dead on for windage.  Elevation varied depending on what ammo (high velocity, standard velocity, and bullet weight) but that can be expected.  Reliability was 100%.

IMO Ruger has a winner here.  Great utility grade revolver at a fraction of the price of anything comparable.  Half the price of a Single Six. I've seen the Heritage go for $130 online but add in shipping and transfer fees vs $200 I paid from dealer stock and it's a Ruger!

@fishnut you can fan these but the stiffer action and checkering on the hammer will probably chew up your hand.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I finally got to try out the Wrangler I picked up a few weeks ago. The fit and finish are good IMO.  There are some gaps in the fit of the grip frame but not anything I'm concerned about in a $200 gun.  Great job with the cerakote and bluing.  The trigger is a bit heavy and not as good as my Single Six.  It will probably smooth out with use. My Single Six probably has a bazillion rounds through it.  The Wrangler's loading gate is a little stiff but that will work in.

How does it shoot?  From a rest when I was doing my job with the right ammo I was able to shoot 2"+ groups.  About the same as my Single Six. I could probably do better if i wasnt over 100 years old.  The sights were dead on for windage.  Elevation varied depending on what ammo (high velocity, standard velocity, and bullet weight) but that can be expected.  Reliability was 100%.

IMO Ruger has a winner here.  Great utility grade revolver at a fraction of the price of anything comparable.  Half the price of a Single Six. I've seen the Heritage go for $130 online but add in shipping and transfer fees vs $200 I paid from dealer stock and it's a Ruger!

@fishnut you can fan these but the stiffer action and checkering on the hammer will probably chew up your hand.

Thanks for the write up, definitely want one of these!

On 4/20/2019 at 10:49 PM, Sevenshot said:

I'm definitely getting one of these after they get the kinks worked out of the first run. It'll be under $200 I'm betting everywhere during the end of year holidays. Its a better heritage (better sights better everything) and the price is right. I hope they make a 6". Squirrels won't stand a chance.

Funny post really