Hello Dom, I used bulkammo.com but can find deals out there google ammoseeker and you can search all the ammo prices. I know for pistol rounds youll need to show the website your FID card for them to ship pistol ammo to nj. I havent used other websites yet but im pretty sure its the same across the board.Youll be able to tell if the ammo, they state tracer or steel etc. i run wolf, blazer. Steel cased and brass case in my pistol and ars.

55 minutes ago, Dommerc said:

Hi everyone, new to ammo and would like some help choosing range ammo in 9mm. My range states they don’t allow armor piercing, tracer, or steel core ammunition allowed. Can anyone help me choose ammo that will be okay to use at the range.

thanks 

Anything brass cased. I’ve never seen steal core 9, or armor piercing 9. I’m not sure they make such a beast in 9

I shoot 124 grain, and whatever is cheapest deal online. Currently it’s American Eagle in my inventory.

8 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

If you live close to the free side of the Delaware river, just about any brand at a Walmart would be just fine!

This....

Walmarts here in PA have 9mm Federal for $7.97 per box.  

As far as range ammo... lots of choices... Federal, American Eagle, Blazer Brass, Fiocchi, Remington UMC, Winchester White Box... in that order.

All of it will be fine for range use. 

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

You forgot S&B  ammo  Quality stuff  accurate . 

Hopefully they improved?  

Honestly, was never a fan.  IIRC some loads were fairly hot and did not like the brass they used (for reloading).

23 hours ago, Maksim said:

This....

Walmarts here in PA have 9mm Federal for $7.97 per box.  

As far as range ammo... lots of choices... Federal, American Eagle, Blazer Brass, Fiocchi, Remington UMC, Winchester White Box... in that order.

All of it will be fine for range use. 

I’ve seen federal sell both 115 grain ammo but one says range and the other doesn’t, is there a huge difference? 

29 minutes ago, Dommerc said:

I’ve seen federal sell both 115 grain ammo but one says range and the other doesn’t, is there a huge difference? 

None.  For range use/general plinking it makes absolutely no difference.   Any of the big name manufacturers "range" ammo is good to go.   If you pull the trigger and it goes bang, that is range ammo.

If you are looking home Defense or precision/ long range shooting, thats when ammo quality really comes into play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dommerc said:

2 hours ago, PeteF said:

None.  For range use/general plinking it makes absolutely no difference.   Any of the big name manufacturers "range" ammo is good to go.   If you pull the trigger and it goes bang, that is range ammo.

If you are looking home Defense or precision/ long range shooting, thats when ammo quality really comes into play.

Pete has it right.

Federal, is part of Vista Outdoors and they are the largest ammo mfr here in the states. (for civilian).

They will generally package ammo for walmart that is branded for them. 

There is a bit of difference in some lines, such as LE or match type ammo, but generally, buy the cheapest you can find.  As long as it is new ammo, it will be fine.

Winchester White Box runs a bit dirtier and have I have seen issues with factory ammo over the years.

Federal, American Eagle, Speer, Blazer Brass... all fine.

With 22lr... there is some difference.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Maksim said:

With 22lr... there is some difference.

What I wrote was for center fire FMJ ammo.  

Like Maks, wrote,  .22 rimfire is a completely different game.  Many .22 pistols are VERY finicky with the ammo they will cycle and fire reliably.

2 hours ago, PeteF said:

What I wrote was for center fire FMJ ammo.  

Like Maks, wrote,  .22 rimfire is a completely different game.  Many .22 pistols are VERY finicky with the ammo they will cycle and fire reliably.

Pete,

Never meant to correct you or say you were wrong, merely expanded upon it. =)

Since are talking about rimfire... personal recommendations in order...

Bulk Box - 1. Federal 40 grain, 2. Federal 36 grain, 3. CCI Blazer, then everything else.  This is for bulk packs you are likely to find in the stores.

STAY AWAY from:  Remington Golden Bullets and for that matter all remington rimfire... it is dirty and shitty.  Also on the fence but during our small neighborhood shoots here, a few folks have been having issues with the Winchester bulk packs.

If you want to go up one level, I am a huge fan of CCI Mini Mags in the 100 round packs... generally better qc.

One above that would be Wolf match ammo.  Yes, Russian but made for them and generally really good stuff. 

Then there is the plethora of really good, top level 22lr match ammo and that is beyond my area. 

12 hours ago, Maksim said:

Pete,

Since are talking about rimfire... personal recommendations in order...

Bulk Box - 1. Federal 40 grain, 2. Federal 36 grain, 3. CCI Blazer, then everything else.  This is for bulk packs you are likely to find in the stores.

STAY AWAY from:  Remington Golden Bullets and for that matter all remington rimfire... it is dirty and shitty.  Also on the fence but during our small neighborhood shoots here, a few folks have been having issues with the Winchester bulk packs.

If you want to go up one level, I am a huge fan of CCI Mini Mags in the 100 round packs... generally better qc.

One above that would be Wolf match ammo.  Yes, Russian but made for them and generally really good stuff. 

Then there is the plethora of really good, top level 22lr match ammo and that is beyond my area. 

Re: Rimfire...

Avoid ANYTHING Winchester rimfire.  Golden Bullets have probably the worst reputation of any specific [rimfire] product line out there, short of possibly Thunderbolts (When the nickname "Thunderturds" is more common than the actual name, that's probably a bad thing...), but as a WHOLE, Winchester rimfire ammo in the last 5+ years has been atrocious at best.  For what it is worth, I have actually had reasonably good luck with Golden Bullets, and one of my guns actually loves the things.

Rimfire guns are picky eaters at best, so I understand that one gun may not like brand X - and you work around that.  But when one brand consistently performs horribly, if it even performs at all, in a multitude of guns including semi-auto and even bolt action and across multiple calibers...that's just bad manufacturing.  I've had greater than 50% failure to fire rates with some Winchester ammo in multiple semi-autos, and 30+% failure-to-fire rates even in bolt guns which have fired (and continue to fire) thousands to even tens of thousands of other brand rounds reliably the first time.  I simply will not buy Winchester rimfire ammo again - it is not worth the hassles even if it were free.

All that said, if your .22LR cannot function with CCI MiniMags, then IMO abandon all hope for that gun ever working properly.

As for Wolf Match .22, I believe that is actually manufactured by SK, which is a part of Lapua, so totally different from other Wolf ammo AFAIK.  Has the same headstamp as SK and Lapua Center-X from what I remember.  And if you ARE looking for serious accuracy in .22s, you're looking at $10+/50 ammos from RWS, Lapua, and Eley.

As for centerfire, Federal, CCI, Remington, PMC, and even Winchester have all worked fine for me.  Some are dirtier than others, but for range ammo, buy the cheapest stuff that runs safely in your gun, and if need be, do a basic cleaning more often.  And if your Winchester White Box ammo locks your gun up so bad you can't move the action whatsoever, just throw your gun into the next range to unjam it, then continue shooting*.

*I really hope I don't have to tell you to not actually do this.  Unfortunately a former member apparently thought this was a good idea and actually did so.  Link for tips on how not to act:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Maksim said:

Pete,

Knew that, was just agreeing with you and expanding on my first comment.  Definitely agree with what you posted.

Especially the part about staying about avoiding Remington .22.