EWC88

Brown gunk in washer machine

So recently I have been having an ongoing issue with my LG washing machine. After doing some loads of wash I notice a brown gunk like substance on the clothes. I can easily shake it off, but I do not know what it’s coming from. Bought the washer machine cleaner, did 4 loads in a row of that, nothing. Did bleach, nothing, even did vinegar to be mr all natural and nothing.  The unit is not new so no warranty with it, too load without the post in the middle of the drum. 

If anyone one has any clue please let me know.

Is it a gunk or just light brown streaks that brush off? I had light brown streaks almost like a powder on them. It was rust in the washer in a spot of the tub that the porcelain coating chipped off. Got a little porcelain filler and painted a few coats on and all good.

12 hours ago, EWC88 said:

Top loader, I’ll go out tomorrow and get new hoses to see if that does anything. Trying google a manual on it or any info to tear it apart.

Try ChrisFix on YouTube.

I'm guessing you have gunk (sediment, etc) in your hoses.

Let us know if you find out what it is and if you were able to fix it.

Good luck.

15 hours ago, EWC88 said:

So recently I have been having an ongoing issue with my LG washing machine. After doing some loads of wash I notice a brown gunk like substance on the clothes. I

A few rare situations... has the town done any hydrant flushing recently in the neighborhood? That churns up all types of crap in the water lines.

Or, have you checked your water heater, possibly sediment/dirt laying in the bottom that gets churned up by the opening/closing of the solenoids in the washer? Try draining it.

Took off hoses, slight rust, going replace...but then I took the back panel off of the washer and notice the shell of the internal drum which is a white plastic, has a brown color on inside it at certain parts. No clue how to dismantle this and clean. 

1 hour ago, EWC88 said:

Took off hoses, slight rust, going replace...but then I took the back panel off of the washer and notice the shell of the internal drum which is a white plastic, has a brown color on inside it at certain parts. No clue how to dismantle this and clean. 

Something like this.   

Funny you posted that video, after calling around and getting no where I went to internet and found that video. Let’s just say I know every damn nut and bolt on this washing machine. Turns out the whole drum in the inside was covered in this gunk. I brushed it with a bleach and water solution and got it all back together. 

Now trust me there was a few “mother f*****s” present but saved money from someone coming out to do it or say “you need a new one”. 

Ok now it’s time to drink whiskey...

On 4/19/2019 at 8:19 PM, EWC88 said:

So recently I have been having an ongoing issue with my LG washing machine. After doing some loads of wash I notice a brown gunk like substance on the clothes. I can easily shake it off, but I do not know what it’s coming from. Bought the washer machine cleaner, did 4 loads in a row of that, nothing. Did bleach, nothing, even did vinegar to be mr all natural and nothing.  The unit is not new so no warranty with it, too load without the post in the middle of the drum. 

If anyone one has any clue please let me know.

You know the washing machines for clothing not guns...   Hoppes will tend to gunk up a washing machine. :)

Iron out is smart idea thanks for that.

rifleman - did you happen to see how much brown gunk you had? When I tore my unit apart it had A LOT, not only coating the drum and in the barrel, but at the bottom of the barrel it was decently thick. 

We had the same problem with a HE washer we bought a few years ago.  It was just over two years old, just out of warranty.  Hard water, cold or cool only water temps, HE low surfactant detergent, they all ganged up on us and gacked up the machine.  Plus, it sounded downright evil as it was washing.  We were not going to go through that all over again.  The solution, bought a barely used, old school, baby seal killer Whirlpool that washes clothes with regular detergent and scalding hot water.