Franklin Armory

Franklin Armory® Now Accepting NJ Orders For Reformation™

Minden, NV, April 19, 2019 – Innovative firearms manufacturer, Franklin Armory®, is now accepting orders from the State of New Jersey for the Reformation™ RS7™ and RS11™. 

Franklin Armory™ President, Jay Jacobson, noted, “We have been working with the New Jersey State Police to confirm the legality of the Reformation™ firearms in the state.  Department personnel were unable to provide any statutes that would prohibit the legal purchase, transfer, and/or possession of the RS7™ and RS11™ within the state of New Jersey.”

Reformation™ firearms shipping to New Jersey will feature ten round Magpul Pmag magazines and a Franklin Armory® custom tuned trigger.  Since Reformation™ firearms do not readily fall under the definitions of rifle, shotgun, or pistol under state law, they have not been shown to trigger the New Jersey Assault Weapon classification.  Additionally, since they have not been shown to be classified as a state defined rifle or shotgun, they cannot be defined as a state defined short barreled rifle or short barreled shotgun.  Reformation™ firearms are still considered NON-NFA firearms under federal law and will NOT require a $200 tax stamp.

To order, visit: https://franklinarmory.com/products/complete-firearms/reformation/   

For more information and dealer inquiries, please email us at [email protected]

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Is it a short AR?

It is an AR with a "non-semi automatic" trigger... thus exempt.  Take a look at FA's other posts on this gun.  In essence, it is a huge FU to NJ and its tyrannical gun laws. 

Sorry.... was thinking of different FA gun.

It is a SBR that has a Non-Rifled barrel (The Lands & Grooves are straight) so it is not classified as a rifle or a shotgun - it's a "Firearm" (Same classification as the Tac 14 or Shock wave), and thus exempt from NJ rifle or SA Shotgun limitations.

The downside is the ammo - I believe this gun shoot rifled or finned ammo, much like a rifled slug, but it's a bullet. It can shoot standard ammo, but I'm not sure on the Keyhole issues they had previously.....

1 hour ago, Franklin Armory said:

Reformation™ firearms shipping to New Jersey will feature ten round Magpul Pmag magazines and a Franklin Armory® custom tuned trigger. 

Can only order with Custom Tuned Trigger for NJ, correct?  I think the prices are mixed up with the NJ option.  BFSII is more expensive than the Custom Tuned Trigger, but when the NJ option is selected, the prices switch.  Can we get a clarification on it?

20 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

It is a SBR that has a Non-Rifled barrel (The Lands & Grooves are straight) so it is not classified as a rifle or a shotgun - it's a "Firearm" (Same classification as the Tac 14 or Shock wave), and thus exempt from NJ rifle or SA Shotgun limitations.

The downside is the ammo - I believe this gun shoot rifled or finned ammo, much like a rifled slug, but it's a bullet. It can shoot standard ammo, but I'm not sure on the Keyhole issues they had previously.....

Thanks Jack.

So if I throw in regular .223/5.56 it's not going to be terribly accurate?

THat's a shame.  If it performed well I'd probably look into getting one to support FA for being so creative.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:04 PM, Krdshrk said:

Can only order with Custom Tuned Trigger for NJ, correct?  I think the prices are mixed up with the NJ option.  BFSII is more expensive than the Custom Tuned Trigger, but when the NJ option is selected, the prices switch.  Can we get a clarification on it?

When doing the configuration on the website, both the trigger and state sections need to be selected. Once those both have been chosen then the correct price will show.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks Jack.

So if I throw in regular .223/5.56 it's not going to be terribly accurate?

THat's a shame.  If it performed well I'd probably look into getting one to support FA for being so creative.

This firearm was designed for close quarters. When we have tested it with standard ammunition, we have seen consistent 3.5" groupings at 100 yards. As far as accuracy with a 7.5" barrel that is what you can expect. Once the ammunition specific for the Reformation™ comes out, those grouping will be even smaller. 

• Agree 1

On 4/23/2019 at 2:47 PM, Franklin Armory said:

This firearm was designed for close quarters. When we have tested it with standard ammunition, we have seen consistent 3.5" groupings at 100 yards. As far as accuracy with a 7.5" barrel that is what you can expect. Once the ammunition specific for the Reformation™ comes out, those grouping will be even smaller. 

3.5" MOA in a $1400.00 - $1900.00 (depending upon the model) is not acceptable, at least not in my book.

There are numerous reports on the net of Std ammo keyholing at 25-50 yds., so at 100 yards.....????? 

Then there is the Nerf Football ammo, though it may work - How much is it a round? 

Is the OEM Ammo even avail.?

Except in NJ, you can get the same results by putting a barge on an AR pistol, get much better performance  and spend half the amount of money! In NJ, you need to weigh the value in a weapon that isn't very accurate and is expensive vs a good shotgun. 

Just seems like a lot of money to pretend you have an SBR - jmo

Edited by JT Custom Guns
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Franklin Armory said:

When doing the configuration on the website, both the trigger and state sections need to be selected. Once those both have been chosen then the correct price will show.

Ah ok - pricing is fixed - was showing the BFS price for the Custom Tuned trigger price when I looked.

2 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

3.5" MOA in a $1400.00 - $1900.00 (depending upon the model) is not acceptable, at least not in my book.

There are numerous reports on the net of Std ammo keyholing at 25-50 yds., so at 100 yards.....????? 

Then there is the Nerf Football ammo, though it may work - How much is it a round?

Just seems like a lot of money to pretend you have an SBR - jmo

It is not suppose to be an SBR and it is not suppose to be a 300 yard range gun. It was designed for close quarter firearm for primarily home defense with no need to go more than 100 yards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Franklin Armory said:

It is not suppose to be an SBR and it is not suppose to be a 300 yard range gun. It was designed for close quarter firearm for primarily home defense with no need to go more than 100 yards.

Ok, but a $1500.00 Home Defense gun that tumbles Std ammo at 25 yrds?

Also - never heard back on your Ammo avail. or Price....????

Just now, JT Custom Guns said:

Ok, but a $1500.00 Home Defense gun that tumbles Std ammo at 25 yrds?

Also - never heard back on your Ammo avail. or Price....????

If the round is tumbling, it has enough power to take down a target but should not have enough to also pass through a wall injuring someone else. As far as the ammo price and available, we do not have any details that have not been released yet. 

13 hours ago, Franklin Armory said:

If the round is tumbling, it has enough power to take down a target but should not have enough to also pass through a wall injuring someone else. As far as the ammo price and available, we do not have any details that have not been released yet. 

I appreciate the innovation and the way FA is looking to work within the letter of the (crazy) laws to bring different types of guns to the market that would otherwise be prohibited.  As I mentioned earlier, if the price point was closer to something I could afford I'd definitely look to pick one up to support further innovation.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to spin a deficiency into a benefit.  Rounds starting to tumble at short distances is never a good thing.

Absolutely keep up the good work, but accept the limitations for what they are and look for ways to remediate.

Thanks!

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Franklin Armory said:

New Jersey Police Department personnel were unable to provide any statutes that would prohibit the legal purchase, transfer, and/or possession of the RS7™ and RS11™ within the state of New Jersey.

So you received a response from the NJSP stating that your AO-26 is not NJ legal, and they have not yet responded regarding the Reformation?

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I appreciate the innovation and the way FA is looking to work within the letter of the (crazy) laws to bring different types of guns to the market that would otherwise be prohibited.  As I mentioned earlier, if the price point was closer to something I could afford I'd definitely look to pick one up to support further innovation.

That said, I don't think it's necessary to spin a deficiency into a benefit.  Rounds starting to tumble at short distances is never a good thing.

Absolutely keep up the good work, but accept the limitations for what they are and look for ways to remediate.

Thanks!

We appreciate the credit for innovation. With that being said, it was designed for home defense and self defense. For those uses, being accurate out to 50 or 100 yards is more than enough for those needs. If someone wishes to have a firearm for longer range, then a short barrel isn't the way to go.

2 hours ago, PK90 said:

So you received a response from the NJSP stating that your AO-26 is not NJ legal, and they have not yet responded regarding the Reformation?

The Police Department responded to us saying that they could not find any statutes that would prohibit the legal purchase, transfer, and/or possession of the RS7™ and RS11™ within the state of New Jersey.

12 minutes ago, Franklin Armory said:

We appreciate the credit for innovation. With that being said, it was designed for home defense and self defense. For those uses, being accurate out to 50 or 100 yards is more than enough for those needs. If someone wishes to have a firearm for longer range, then a short barrel isn't the way to go.

Respectfully, I don't think anyone is trying to compare this to a 1000+ yard precision sniper rifle.  They're making apples to apples comparisons to the MANY other AR platform gun with short barrels.  None of them are designed for "longer range" yet they're capable of being accurate at or beyond 100 yards and bullets don't start tumbling from them after 50 yards.

It's like building and marketing a step-ladder that's only 6 inches tall and telling me that it's "more than enough for what it was designed for.  Get an extension ladder if you need to get on the roof".

Keep in mind that I'm a fan of what you're doing and a potential customer.  My intention is to communicate to you that I'd be interested in a gun like this (even at a price point above what could be built in a free state) if it could at least come close to what other similar rifles could do (kind of like a Mini-14 vs an AR).

Right now I think it falls short.

If the R&D is done and this is truly designed as a < 50 yard personal defense gun then I'll stick with my shotguns.

18 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Respectfully, I don't think anyone is trying to compare this to a 1000+ yard precision sniper rifle.  They're making apples to apples comparisons to the MANY other AR platform gun with short barrels.  None of them are designed for "longer range" yet they're capable of being accurate at or beyond 100 yards and bullets don't start tumbling from them after 50 yards.

It's like building and marketing a step-ladder that's only 6 inches tall and telling me that it's "more than enough for what it was designed for.  Get an extension ladder if you need to get on the roof".

Keep in mind that I'm a fan of what you're doing and a potential customer.  My intention is to communicate to you that I'd be interested in a gun like this (even at a price point above what could be built in a free state) if it could at least come close to what other similar rifles could do (kind of like a Mini-14 vs an AR).

Right now I think it falls short.

If the R&D is done and this is truly designed as a < 50 yard personal defense gun then I'll stick with my shotguns.

I think we are missing the point with the gun though.

No one is saying that this gun is meant for groups  or to be shot at distances past 50 to 100 yards.

The gun is aimed strictly at the ban states where you CANNOT have an SBR and want an AR platform primarily for home defense.

The bullet tumbling past 50 to 100 yards is the price of admission to having one in NJ.

Literally, compare this to a shotgun because this is what it is...

No rifling = NJ compliant = bullet tumbling. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I think we are missing the point with the gun though.

No one is saying that this gun is meant for groups  or to be shot at distances past 50 to 100 yards.

The gun is aimed strictly at the ban states where you CANNOT have an SBR and want an AR platform primarily for home defense.

The bullet tumbling past 50 to 100 yards is the price of admission to having one in NJ.

Literally, compare this to a shotgun because this is what it is...

No rifling = NJ compliant = bullet tumbling. 

If it's really a <50 yard AR platform gun that's exclusively intended for home/personal defense then perhaps it's FA missing the point for building a $1400 gun that nobody asked for.

NONE of their advertising or marketing has anything about the home/personal defense crap.  They built something specifically for ban states that's dressed up to look like an SBR AR.  They talk about MOA groups with the exclusive (yet to be released or cost revealed) ammo and 3.5 MOA groups at 100 yards. 

The "cost of admission" thing is nonsense.  $1400 for an SBR that that can't come close to what the others do?  Nope.  Nobody sent a letter to them saying "Please build me a gun for $1400 that looks like an SBR but shoots like shit".  Go back to the Mini-14 vs AR comparison.  THAT'S the sweet spot.

It fails as a shotgun as well.

I tried to keep things positive, but it looks like you guys just want to prove me to be "wrong", so I'll bow out.

Again, I applaud the direction and efforts to build something cool that conforms with ass-backward laws...

• Agree 1

The thing is - shotgun with proper rounds (slug/buckshot/etc) will penetrate through several interior walls, while .223 will tumble and penetrate less - Box o truth test showed that.

"SBR" with minute of man accuracy for short distances is good.  My go-to home defense gun is definitely my AR, not a shotgun.  Yes - the price is a bit up there, especially when you can build a standard AR for under $500.

Because it's not for thee, doesn't mean it's not for me.