On 4/23/2019 at 2:20 PM, Zeke said:

Majority of time, or 6 months 1 day in pa. 

NY is cracking down on this, nJ is soon to follow. But I think they only go after big numbers players.  

@GRIZ posted same time!

I worked near the border on the wrong side of the Delaware, about a third of the company lived in PA, were PA residents, only paid PA taxes. 

NY has no deals.

1 hour ago, SW9racer said:

Wrong for PA.  I worked near the border on the wrong side of the Delaware, about a third of the company lived in PA, were PA residents, only paid PA taxes. 

NY has no deals.

Yep, see second post. 

On 4/23/2019 at 2:41 PM, 45Doll said:

OP: If I were you I'd FIRST be talking with an accounting and tax expert on how you are going to earn your income and where. Specifically, to make sure you don't end up placing yourself in a situation where you have to file both PA AND NJ income taxes.

I'd also want to know exactly how much I'd expect to save in state income tax to understand if it was really worthwhile.

As far as residency, if you own a house in NJ and also lease an apartment in PA you are a dual-state resident. As such you can have firearms you already own in either location, and transport will be subject to the laws of the state you're in at the time.

Leave your FID alone and buy firearms in NJ as a NJ resident. And if you have a reason to, buy firearms in PA as a PA resident. That is perfectly legal (PICS knows how to do it) although many PA FFLs don't want to bother with it.

Caveat: I do not know if an apartment scenario is equal to owning a home. Proof of residency may be more difficult. Owning a home definitely allows what I said. And with a home, it's also legal to get your PA resident LTCF providing the sheriff isn't opposed to granting it.

You can be a resident of any number of states. But you can only have one domicile. Search on and understand the difference, especially for tax purposes.

PA has reciprocity with NJ regarding income taxes. If you are a resident in PA and work in NJ you pay the PA flat tax rate on income earned @ 3.07%. Another benefit of doing this is if you get laid off you can claim NJ unemployment which pays out at a higher rate than PA. For now it's a win win situation. 

I don't understand why you would want or care about a NJFID if you live in PA. It seems like it is more of a pain than it is really worth. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

PA has reciprocity with NJ regarding income taxes. If you are a resident in PA and work in NJ you pay the PA flat tax rate on income earned @ 3.07%. Another benefit of doing this is if you get laid off you can claim NJ unemployment which pays out at a higher rate than PA. For now it's a win win situation. 

I don't understand why you would want or care about a NJFID if you live in PA. It seems like it is more of a pain than it is really worth. 

I would be "living" in PA enough to get the 184 day requirement satisfied but rest of the week is gonna be in NJ. And I would hate to have to move gun collection to PA and be without anything during my time in NJ. 

Long story but apartment is a hike from NJ, and I can't commute to work that far each day. 

11 hours ago, lts1ow said:

I would be "living" in PA enough to get the 184 day requirement satisfied but rest of the week is gonna be in NJ. And I would hate to have to move gun collection to PA and be without anything during my time in NJ. 

Long story but apartment is a hike from NJ, and I can't commute to work that far each day. 

If you are maintaining the residence in NJ you don't have to move all your guns to PA.  What makes you think you do?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GRIZ said:

If you are maintaining the residence in NJ you don't have to move all your guns to PA.  What makes you think you do?

My fear was/is that with a PA DL and PA address, my FID card would not allow me to transport firearms in NJ anymore. 

6 hours ago, lts1ow said:

My fear was/is that with a PA DL and PA address, my FID card would not allow me to transport firearms in NJ anymore. 

You can transport any firearms to and from one residence to another, residence to business, to a range, and a FFL without a NJ FID.  Having a NJ FID would allow you have an unloaded long gun in your car and you can drive aimlessly around NJ without breaking the law.  This would apply to someone with an out of state address on their NJ FID.

IANAL but the law in NJ says you can transport an unloaded long gun anywhere all the time if you have a NJ FID.  The law doesn't say anything about NJ residents only.

There is nothing in NJ law that prevents you from keeping firearms in a residence you own in NJ.

Getting NJFID with a PA address is just another way of showing you broke your ties to NJ for income tax purposes.  The only thing you're giving up with guns in NJ is you can't take delivery of a handgun in NJ.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

56 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

If the OP gets a PA DL the easiest thing to do is to get a NJ boat license and keep his FID with his NJ address on it. That way he would be able to buy firearms in either state when residing in that state.

I don't know about the boat license thing.  They put my boat license as an endorsement on my drivers license.

Someone with a NJ FID with an out of state could buy long guns at a FFL unless that changed.  Being that all transfers have to be at a FFL it's no different for long guns as if he still lived in NJ.

The only thing that would change with guns is he couldn't take delivery of a handgun in NJ.  Why would anyone want to go through the NJ permit process if they didn't have to.  If he changes everything and wanted to buy a handgun in NJ he would have to pay shipping and transfer fee at a FFL in PA. 

Just now, GRIZ said:

I don't know about the boat license thing.  They put my boat license as an endorsement on my drivers license.

Someone with a NJ FID with an out of state could buy long guns at a FFL unless that changed.  Being that all transfers have to be at a FFL it's no different for long guns as if he still lived in NJ.

The only thing that would change with guns is he couldn't take delivery of a handgun in NJ.  Why would anyone want to go through the NJ permit process if they didn't have to.  If he changes everything and wanted to buy a handgun in NJ he would have to pay shipping and transfer fee at a FFL in PA. 

I've had a couple different people who were dual residents get NJ boat licenses to use as ID to buy in NJ. Their ID looks like a DL but says "Boat Only" on it and still uses the same number they had when they had an NJ DL.

Non NJ residents with NJ FPID cards can buy long guns in NJ, but if the OP is going to maintain a NJ residence why not just keep his NJ address on his FPID card? It is perfectly legal to do so if they have a residence here.

I agree buying guns in PA would be a lot less hassle and will probably be doing most or all of their buying there, but I don't see a good reason to change the address on the FPID if he still lives at that NJ address. If the OP sees a handgun they like for sale in NJ they would have the option of getting a NJ PPP or shipping it to a PA FFL, why not keep all options open?

52 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

I've had a couple different people who were dual residents get NJ boat licenses to use as ID to buy in NJ. Their ID looks like a DL but says "Boat Only" on it and still uses the same number they had when they had an NJ DL.

Non NJ residents with NJ FPID cards can buy long guns in NJ, but if the OP is going to maintain a NJ residence why not just keep his NJ address on his FPID card? It is perfectly legal to do so if they have a residence here.

I agree buying guns in PA would be a lot less hassle and will probably be doing most or all of their buying there, but I don't see a good reason to change the address on the FPID if he still lives at that NJ address. If the OP sees a handgun they like for sale in NJ they would have the option of getting a NJ PPP or shipping it to a PA FFL, why not keep all options open?

Getting the boat license requires attending a boating safety course at your own expense.  Not difficult but not sure if the OP wants to be bothered with that.

I see your point. Getting a NJ PPP involves like twenty something dollars plus NICS so we're talking over $40 to have the gun transferred in NJ.  Then there's the wait for the PD to issue the permit.  That can be weeks or months. Having the gun shipped to a FFL in PA and paying a transfer fee and PICS may cost the same but you'd have the gun in a few days vs the waiting time and hassle of acquiring a NJ PPP.

Depends on what you find more convenient for you.