Grapeshot

NRA President to step down, etc.

With all of the news about “Management Problems” at the NRA, I haven’t seen anyone comment about it here. So I will start. Some of the things I am going to say will piss some of you off, so I have donned my Kevlar and Nomex underwear – Flame Away.

Let me say first that I am no longer a member of the NRA. I was for many years, when they were a gun safety and education group. When all of that changed, I held my nose and still sent my dues, but about 5 years ago I had enough. I had suspicions that people were “skimming”, and I thought LaPierre made way too much money,  but hey, if they think he’s worth it, then I’ll go along. But my real reason for leaving was that they had totally given up on NJ. So I sent my money elsewhere. First to NJ2AS, then to no one, and most recently to CNJFO (who are actually doing something).

And then I found this article: https://www.thetrace.org/features/nra-financial-misconduct-ackerman-mcqueen/

And yes, it’s from The New Yorker, that bastion of liberal thought, but I believe the facts are true. And it confirmed what I suspected.  Please read it – it’s long, but worth it. One of the telling excerpts:

“Board members, particularly those who had served for a long time, grew uncomfortable. Once, Davis recalled, he took a board member to lunch to request a donation: “He just looks at me, and he goes, ‘You know, I like you, but I hate your department.’ I said, ‘Why?’ He says, ‘Because NRA is not fancy Italian shoes with thousand-dollar suits. NRA is the backbone of this country, wearing bluejeans and boots. And your division is taking us to a whole ’nother place.’ ”

So, they obviously have more money than me – they certainly don’t need mine. Especially if they are going to spend it on Italian Suits, Pappy Van Winkle, and expensive cars.  And yes, I have had some pretty high level positions (VP of Sales and Marketing, Managing Director, etc. ), but I always bought my own clothes.

I think Oliver North had enough too. And no, he’s not the most trustworthy guy, but when even he has seen enough, I think we need to listen.

The NRA is squandering your money. What are you going to do about it?

• Agree 1

The only thing I'm sure of is I don't know enough about this particular topic to offer a qualified opinion. I have some research to do.

I can say I didn't join the NRA to further gun safety and education, although I'm happy to support that too. I joined in the 20th century when it became obvious there's a gun ban and confiscation crowd burrowed into our government and society, and I'm not going to have it. There has to be some group at the national level that will fight tooth and nail to protect our rights and render the most disruptive remedy unnecessary. If not the NRA, what group? Now?

I'd be interested to hear what our newest NJ board member thinks about all this, either now or after he's acclimatized.

In the meantime, this was my PA lawyer's father's open letter to Wayne.

While they are not the only show in town, like it or not, they carry the most political clout as far as  helping to elect pro second amendment candidates on the national level. Unfortunately, politics control our fate and politics control what judges are appointed. We have to win on two levels, National and State and they have 50 States to contend with. If we lose on the National level, it really will not matter what the State does---the game is over.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, SJG said:

While they are not the only show in town, like it or not, they carry the most political clout as far as  helping to elect pro second amendment candidates on the national level. Unfortunately, politics control our fate and politics control what judges are appointed. We have to win on two levels, National and State and they have 50 States to contend with. If we lose on the National level, it really will not matter what the State does---the game is over.

This is where I generally land.

I currently support the NRA and ANJRPC.  They're the ones I've seen spending time and money on litigation and messaging.

• Agree 1

Another thing to consider is that the recent stream of negative attention the NRA is receiving is AGENDA-DRIVEN.

With a conservative leaning Supreme Court, the anti-gun lobbies and Democrats are absolutely afraid that the NRA could back/push court challenges that would end up hamstringing the horseshit/meaningless state gun laws that they champion in order to win favor with the electorate.  If the NRA can fund court challenges that kill the feel-good "look what "i've done for crime" laws , then they're a dangerous threat.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

You complain about the NRA, yet dolts like this who capitalize on the residents of NJ for his own benefit while BSing the masses......nothin' has changed here for the better in the last 40 yrs. except folks makin' a living off of  NJ 2A harassment........tired of the Pod Casts of BS for dollars and Nappen delusions.......yup, great pic for director.....omo.

18 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Another thing to consider is that the recent stream of negative attention the NRA is receiving is AGENDA-DRIVEN.

With a conservative leaning Supreme Court, the anti-gun lobbies and Democrats are absolutely afraid that the NRA could back/push court challenges that would end up hamstringing the horseshit/meaningless state gun laws that they champion in order to win favor with the electorate.  If the NRA can fund court challenges that kill the feel-good "look what "i've done for crime" laws , then they're a dangerous threat.

Very good assessment.  I agree 100%.  

Like most any other political issue,  it is difficult to get an objective read on the situation.  I personally avoid news articles from certain sources, unless i am looking for likely misinformation from the other side.  

To me, it looks like there is some infighting or disagreements that needs to stop, or at least be better controlled.

14 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Seems some big boys are ready to hold back donations.

https://news.yahoo.com/major-nra-donor-lead-rebellion-110312191.html

Good article.  Definitely not a news source I use at all but since you posted it, I went on and read it.  Shockingly, it seems to be very well written.  It has a lot of quoted text with name sources and only two references to something said by an "anonymous source" but those references by those sources are not fundamental to the article at all.  I did not detect any slanted opinion cast in by the author/editors.  Just a straight forward piece on what Dell'Aguila does not like about the NRA's current business practices and what he would like to see changed. 

I actually found it informative to see what Dell"Aguila position was on the whole thing since my lowly lifetime member status with the NRA does not grant me access to this type of information.  It grants me access to weekly postal bombardments from Mr. LaPierre but none of that provides any details on the current rift going on at the executive level.

2 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

Good article Definitely not a news source I use at all but since you posted it, I went on and read it. 

Thanks, I don't trust Yahoo either, just thought it was worth a read.