Ray Ray

Taurus Raging Hunter, thoughts?

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/raging-hunter/

Taurus is releasing their raging hunter in 357 with several barrel lengths.   I am dying for an 8 inch 357 but I can't pull the trigger on a Taurus product.  Anyone have experience with this line?

• Like 1

whoa, thanks for bringing it up.

It looks great for sure.

As you bring it up though, it is Taurus so the QC will be questionable.  Some of their new products do seem well made.

What gets me will be the price... $910 MSRP... for a Taurus?  Tough to justify.

Will try to request one to review though, you can come and play with it.

• Thanks 1

I have a taurus model 66  wheel gun which is 357/38 and it operates just fine.  Never have had any issues with it. or any reason to suspect any QC issues.  Shoots and feels just as solid as some S/W 686's i've held and fired.

I'd go with the 44mag instead of the 357mag. 

I also have not heard bad things about Taurus revolvers but the few that I've handled are not as nice as S&W. 

I'd rock a Taurus for hunting and wouldn't feel bad about beating it up. 

53 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I also have not heard bad things about Taurus revolvers but the few that I've handled are not as nice as S&W. 

That is exactly what I was thinking, but I don't feel like dealing with 44 Magnum prices.  

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

One of the guides on the CNJFO hog hunt had a Dan Wesson 357 that he inherited from his father and plans to leave to his grandkids. That gun looked as worn as could be, but his eyes had a special twinkle when I asked him about it.

Buy a quality piece and do some quality work with it; you’ll leave a better legacy than the guy with a museum quality gun in the safe. 

21 minutes ago, weekend_junkie said:

One of the guides on the CNJFO hog hunt had a Dan Wesson 357 that he inherited from his father and plans to leave to his grandkids. That gun looked as worn as could be, but his eyes had a special twinkle when I asked him about it.

Buy a quality piece and do some quality work with it; you’ll leave a better legacy than the guy with a museum quality gun in the safe. 

I've got that base covered several times over. I have plenty of well worn guns that I'll leave to my daughter one day. 

I still stand by my statement if I were in the market for a hunting handgun I'd pick a Taurus over a S&W. However if it were a ccw gun the choice would me S&W for sure. 

I have several Taurus revolvers.  J, K, and N frame size.  The only problems I've had were:

1. 669 (66 with full underlug)- after a bazillion 357s the rear sight loosened and fell off. Mostly my fault as I should have noticed when the screw was loosening.  BTW there is no flame cutting on the top strap.  A K frame S&W 357 would have had flame cutting long ago.

2.  327 (J frame size 327 magnum)- bought new and timing was off right out of the box.  I figured something like that had to happen to me sometime.  I've seen several brand new S&Ws and...OMG...Pythons come from the factory with similar issues.

I sent the guns to Taurus and had them back in 2 weeks. 

The major downside to Taurus revolvers is the DA trigger is not as good as a S&W.  Neither is a Ruger. The trigger is something you can work with.  I have no issue with Taurus' fit, finish, or reliability.  I have carried them for social work with no reservations.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I can't be the only one who is wondering what this means.  Please elaborate.  

“Social guns” or “Social Purposes” is slang used by people that carry guns professionally to differentiate the guns designated as duty or work guns - the guns they bet their lives on -  from guns that they consider toys, novelties, competition, or fun-guns.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I had a taurus snub nose .357 magnum awhile back, shot the snot out of it, giant fiery halos came out of it everytime I shot .357, lots of fun. I was expecting to have problems with her, but no issues at all. It was a good gun!

I have the 44 Mag Raging Hunter (8 inch) sitting at my LGS waiting for my 30 day cool-off period to expire. Ill chime back in when I take it out to the range and get to use it. Also, Taurus upped the warranty to lifetime on the Raging Hunter which is cool.

14 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I would buy a Taurus over a Charter Arms any day of the week.

As would I for any Charter Arms iteration beyond the original. I have two CA Bulldogs (one Pug and one Target - both .44 Spl) and have had no problem with them. Not much to look at and inexpensively made, but otherwise dependable. Anything beyond the original CA - not so much.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:01 PM, High Exposure said:

“Social guns” or “Social Purposes” is slang used by people that carry guns professionally to differentiate the guns designated as duty or work guns - the guns they bet their lives on -  from guns that they consider toys, novelties, competition, or fun-guns.

I had visions of Griz in a social gathering carrying concealed with no pants.

"Well hellllllloo ladies.  This is my Python and this is my carry piece"  

• Like 1
  • FacePalm 1

29 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Geeeeze, thanks for that mental image

3 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

The firearm would probably be in a shoulder holster.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

EcstaticCompetentCats-size_restricted.gi

Not that. Never been an exhibitionist.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:59 PM, Ray Ray said:

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/raging-hunter/

Taurus is releasing their raging hunter in 357 with several barrel lengths.   I am dying for an 8 inch 357 but I can't pull the trigger on a Taurus product.  Anyone have experience with this line?

I'll let you know in a few weeks when I get my Raging Hunter in .44.

For what it's worth, I have other Taurus revolvers and have had no issues at all.  Tight lockup, smooth trigger.  Never had the slightest problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomk62 said:

I have the Taurus 605 and I am very happy with it, solid gun.

My mom bought that exact gun and we shot it together, worked fine.  

My past dealings with Taurus firearms leads me to despise their customer service.