LJ1972

Load Data Variances

Hi, Everyone:

I tried to post this the other night, but for some reason, it didn't go through.  So, here I go again.  If I'm repeating myself and it is posted, please forgive me.

My question is a two-parter:

Hi there!

I’m wondering if I could seek the guidance and advice of some experienced reloaders.  I am working on purchasing reloading equipment and accessories and will hopefully start soon.  Right now I’m in the research phase of things and have come across a couple of things that I could use some clarification on.

1.) I have a Lyman Reloading manual (50th Ed.) and a Lee Reloading manual.  I know it is recommended that I begin at the starting loads and work my way up.  The starting loads in both books differ; the Lee starting loads are a bit higher than the Lyman.  Which one should I go by?

2.) The 115 gr FMJ listed/tested (Lyman Manual) used the Hornady XTP hp bullets.  I always shoot the round nose bullets.  If I purchase these instead of the XTP’s, would the load data, specifically the minimum and maximum OAL change?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

43 minutes ago, LJ1972 said:

Hi, Everyone:

I tried to post this the other night, but for some reason, it didn't go through.  So, here I go again.  If I'm repeating myself and it is posted, please forgive me.

Hi there!

I’m wondering if I could seek the guidance and advice of some experienced reloaders.  I am working on purchasing reloading equipment and accessories and will hopefully start soon.  Right now I’m in the research phase of things and have come across a couple of things that I could use some clarification on.

1.) I have a Lyman Reloading manual (50th Ed.) and a Lee Reloading manual.  I know it is recommended that I begin at the starting loads and work my way up.  The starting loads in both books differ; the Lee starting loads are a bit higher than the Lyman.  Which one should I go by?

2.) The 115 gr FMJ listed/tested (Lyman Manual) used the Hornady XTP hp bullets.  I always shoot the round nose bullets.  If I purchase these instead of the XTP’s, would the load data, specifically the minimum and maximum OAL change?

By 115 grain I am assuming you are reloading 9mm?

Every book is going to differ and some tend to go towards the side of caution more than others.

Realistically with reloads, you are tailoring them to what you want.  Do you want ammo that is tailored to a certain gun game, i.e. USPSA, IDPA, etc... or do you want a very light shooting load that will be a joy to shoot?  That all makes a difference.

Or are you looking for the most accurate load you can get for your gun?

The books are all a starting point for you to figure out what you want and how your gun likes the loads. 

Furthermore, keep in mind that barrels all behave differently... same load out of a CZ for instance is about 50 FPS slower for me than out of an M&P.  A worthwhile investment is a chronograph.  About $100 is all you need.  It will give you factual data about YOUR gun.

Then of course is the choices of powders, etc.

Once you get into the groove of it, you will generally consult the manuals less and quite honestly search forums for what other people are shooting.

For 9mm, I generally have 3 loads worked up and I pretty much stick to them.  The only thing that changes is if the powders you are using are temperature tempermental in which case, for gun game loads at least, you will have a winter and summer load (if you shoot outdoors)... not making minimum feet per second may cost you a big match entry fee.

For regular range shooting? won't make a difference.

Also, a good starting point today, for reloading data is the Hodgdon website... they have an up to date loading reference for all of their powders.  

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Hope that helps.

6 hours ago, LJ1972 said:

Hi, Everyone:

Hi there!

1) Both manuals are safe to use. You will find load data in manuals from SPEER, Nosler, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon, Alliant, Sierra, etc. all vary slightly, but they're all safe. Load data in manuals that are five decades old may be different but are still pretty close to today’s useful data because powder burn rates remain the same for specific types. If you read the works of writers/shooters/reloaders like Keith, Page, Mashburn, Hagel, Nonte, Skelton, Harris, Clapp, Milek or Jurris; you will find load data they’ve worked up that’s “safe in their guns” but clearly exceeding published load data from any bullet or powder manufacturer. 

2) As for the load data, start with the recomended minimum and work up from there. As for OAL, you’ll seat that particular bullet to the listed COAL (cartridge overall length.) The OAL is a balance of proper depth for reliable feeding, proper case grip of the bullet and proper depth so as not to induce unwanted pressures. (Seat a bullet too deep and you intrude on your powder space and you could increase pressures.) Your seating die should come with different seating stems for bullet type. Bullet noses vary from HP (like the XTP) to flat point to round nose. Different seating stems are used for specific bullet types so as to not damage the bullet’s nose. 

Bullet construction and measurements of the bullet’s various parts vary with bullet type. For example, your RN-FMJ may have a different ogive and bearing surface length than your XTP HP with its flatter tip. 

bullet construction.jpg

• Like 1

LJ1972,

+1 on the replies so far.  I'd like to add that more likely than not, the OAL spec will change with a change in bullet profile.  The published load data that you'll find in a manual typically includes details about the barrel length, primer, powder, case and specific bullet that were used in developing their data.  All of the published data is intended to keep your chamber pressure at safe levels.  Every manual that I have has a few paragraphs of preamble for each cartridge just before the data is presented.  Lots of detailed info in there usually.  Try to find load data for the specific bullet that you're using.  Join the Handloading group at Groups.io.  There's a ton of very knowledgeable and helpful people there and it's free!

-Longranger

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Longranger said:

LJ1972,

+1 on the replies so far.  I'd like to add that more likely than not, the OAL spec will change with a change in bullet profile.  The published load data that you'll find in a manual typically includes details about the barrel length, primer, powder, case and specific bullet that were used in developing their data.  All of the published data is intended to keep your chamber pressure at safe levels.  Every manual that I have has a few paragraphs of preamble for each cartridge just before the data is presented.  Lots of detailed info in there usually.  Try to find load data for the specific bullet that you're using.  Join the Handloading group at Groups.io.  There's a ton of very knowledgeable and helpful people there and it's free!

-Longranger

One other thing on the OAL is that there is the SAAMI OAL and there is your gun's and magazines'.

One particular example is for STI/SVI 2011 firearms, in 40 S&W.  Many of the guns that you will find for gun games have a longer chamber and as such folks will load it long.  Another reason for this is that STI/SVI mags in 40 S&W need to be loaded long in order to feed reliably.  Therefore, most of my 40 S&W loads... won't even fit in a standard Glock 22/23 mag. 

@LJ1972 by this point you are probably getting information overload so feel free to digest it and ask questions. =)  I have been reloading for like 8 years but there are far more knowledgeable folks here, a number of which have replied so far,  particularly as it relates to the deep rabbit hole of precision rifle handloading. 

Early in my reloading career, I found that, with both 9x19 and .44 Rem Mag, the start load in one manual was actually MAX or even over MAX in my gun with my bullet and my lot of powder.

Since then, I have always checked several manuals and I start at the LOWEST start load. Safety, to me, is more important than saving a few components.

You don't need to fire 5-10 rounds at each increment of powder working up--just enough to know if anything "strange" is happening. Of course, for accuracy, I do shoot 10 rounds per increment.

Be aware that changing the lot number of powder or the bullet can make a difference.