Ouchthathurts

Need some recommendations for a smith to make new weapon NJ compliant

Hi fellas,

Bear with me because this takes just a bit of explaining.

Moved to NC 2 years ago, picked up my first AR yesterday for my B-day. DB ar in 300 blackout. Obviously this is not NJ compliant. Can I bring it to NJ and have a smith here make it compliant? If not, can anyone recommend someone right over the bridge in PA that can do it? I'm assuming all I need is the stock pinned and the muzzle break welded. Any idea what that work costs? I got a great deal on the rifle at a show in NC but obviously they weren't carrying anything NJ compliant.

Thanks!

If you live in NC, why do you want to make it NJ compliant?  

I would bring the rifle to a 'smith by you and have them do the work.  If you bring it to NJ as is, you are potentially in a world of hurt if you get caught with it.  

You could ship it to a 'smith in NJ as an alternative.  Call Mike at Tier 1 Defense in Union.  He can probably get you on track if you decide to go that way.

I will assume that the AR has a flash hider, not a muzzle brake (correct me if you replaced it already).

In that case - Pin stock, Block or replace mag(s), Remove Bayonet lug and pin / weld a Muzzle Brake to the barrel.

I would not bring the rifle here (non-compliant) yourself, but would arrange to with a local dealer in NJ to ship it to them and after compliance work is done, you can p/u the rifle.

We do NJ Compliance work - If interested, PM me and we can discuss it...........

JT

• Like 1

Well, look at the actual features that it has.

Collapsible stock, bayonet lug, flash hider.

You can potentially pin the stock yourself.  If you have a dremel you can dremel off a bayo lug (just hit it with some cold blue afterwards or a blue pen).  Flash hider can be removed and replaced with a muzzle brake.  Bring it somewhere to get pinned, or if you're a welder, drill a hole through the brake and into the threads on the barrel, drop in a pin and weld over the top.

Where in NJ are you moving to?  You could potentially just bring the upper to some place to get the compliance work done.

• Agree 2

Bringing it in to NJ would technically be illegal since it’s not compliant. That said, if you are getting pulled over and searched, you probably have other problems. 

Tier 1 and Monmouth Arms both do compliance work and could easily take care of it for you. Probably looking around $50 total but I would call and check. Pinning the stock is very easy to do yourself as well. Another option is having a gunsmith in NC do the work for you before moving up

• Thanks 1

Is it a DB15E300B? That rifle has a Diamond Back muzzle brake, not a flash hider. I don't see a bayonet lug. Looks like a quad picatinny rail. Adjust the rifle where you'd like it, drill a hole through the stock and put in a roll pin. Then pin the barrel. I'm not that handy, so I'd stick the complete upper receiver in a box and mail it to either Tier 1 or Monmouth Arms for the compliance work. 

4 minutes ago, Ouchthathurts said:

Does that help? I think it is the exact model...this is what happens when you go to a gun show and have poor impulse control.

IMG_20190504_112314_01.jpg

It appears that is a A2 Fash hider on the muzzle. You’d need another muzzle brake that doesn’t state or advertise it reduces flash, than have that one pinned and welded. Pin the stock. No mags over ten rounds and your NJ Legal. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ouchthathurts said:

Does that help? I think it is the exact model...this is what happens when you go to a gun show and have poor impulse control.

IMG_20190504_112314_01.jpg

Flash Hider and Stock... 10 rnd mags

Its a simple conversion.

• Like 1