samtechlan

Putting a 9mm flash hider on a Ruger PCC

5 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Legal but you would have to get the barrel threaded.  None of the models come threaded from the factory from what it looks like.

Yes they do

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Legal but you would have to get the barrel threaded.  None of the models come threaded from the factory from what it looks like.

Yes mine is threaded from the factory.  Ramsey's carries both the threaded and the non-threaded models, the latter for NY buyers. 

On 5/5/2019 at 10:29 AM, Krdshrk said:

Nick, didn't you shoot mine suppressed?!?!?!?!  Or watch the video?

Yes, it is threaded.  There IS a non-threaded version for Commiefornia too though.

Honestly though, don't see the point of a comp on this or a flash hider.   Recoil is light as it is and the gun is heavy enough.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Yes, it is threaded.  There IS a non-threaded version for Commiefornia too though.

Honestly though, don't see the point of a comp on this or a flash hider.   Recoil is light as it is and the gun is heavy enough.

I agree as to recoil being light but I wanted to see how quiet I can get it without having access to a suppressor since the linear comp is supposed to redirect the blast towards the target and away from the shooter.

In addition to the Fiocchi 158 grain I'm also going to test it with some 165 grain subsonic LAX ammo. 

Great video by the way.

31 minutes ago, samtechlan said:

I agree as to recoil being light but I wanted to see how quiet I can get it without having access to a suppressor since the linear comp is supposed to redirect the blast towards the target and away from the shooter.

In addition to the Fiocchi 158 grain I'm also going to test it with some 165 grain subsonic LAX ammo. 

Great video by the way.

Thanks.

Interesting but I have yet to see a comp that will actually make it quieter. I think kind of pointless in NJ... just move out or make friends with folks in PA and shoot it suppressed. 

A flash hider will do nothing to make it quieter.  The flash from a 9mm in a 16" barrel is very small and just about non-existent from most 9mm loads.  Almost none from a subsonic round.  Most comps make it louder IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maksim said:

What is it with Russians and track suits?:p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, samtechlan said:

Instead of a flash hider I decided to go with a KVP linear comp on the Ruger PCC.  It hardly adds any weight up front, looks pretty decent and with Fiocchi 158 grain subsonic ammo it will be as close as you can get to a suppressor in this state. 

20190509_215631.jpg

20190509_215518.jpg

Interesting.  You take a 35 caliber, 158 grain bullet, in a 9mm case, and propel it at 850 fps and you have...a high pressure 38 special.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GRIZ said:

A flash hider will do nothing to make it quieter.  The flash from a 9mm in a 16" barrel is very small and just about non-existent from most 9mm loads.  Almost none from a subsonic round.  Most comps make it louder IMO.

Most comps do make it louder but this is a linear comp so the objective is different.

https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Comps-s/100.htm

"The KVP linear comp, collects and redirects muzzle gases away from the shooter. This redirection helps reduce the perceived decibels the shooter experiences at his or her ear. By pushing excessive noise and concussion downrange, not only will the shooter experience a much softer shooting experience, bystanders will also benefit from the redirection of the muzzle gasses."

12 hours ago, samtechlan said:

Most comps do make it louder but this is a linear comp so the objective is different.

https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Comps-s/100.htm

"The KVP linear comp, collects and redirects muzzle gases away from the shooter. This redirection helps reduce the perceived decibels the shooter experiences at his or her ear. By pushing excessive noise and concussion downrange, not only will the shooter experience a much softer shooting experience, bystanders will also benefit from the redirection of the muzzle gasses."

I don't know about this "pushing excessive noise and concussion downrange".  If you stand in front or behind a motorcycle with straight pipes does it sound quieter? Not really.

Keep in mind anything that reduces the sound of a firearm discharging, no matter how slight, is a silencer according to ATF.  I don't know how ATF measures this but most certainly the manufacturer did so in R&D.

I think you will be disappointed with the results of this comp and it's ability to push noise and concussion downrange.  It would also seem to me that pushing concussion or gases downrange would increase perceived recoil.