A fellow forum was asking about a display case for his wife’s pistol I believe. So I decided after seeing some display cases for insane prices, to make my own out of more or less cheap prices. 
This one will be for my Nighthawk Custom Falcon 1911.

I started out with a humidor I had when I was on a cigar kick with the club.
Humidors make perfect cases for your gun. 
Why? Its designed to keep moisture in so your cigars don’t dry out. Ones that are well made have a nice tight seal.
‘But John, we don’t want to keep moisture in. It will hurt the gun’. Correctomundo! But using it to keep moisture out works too! If you are not a cigar smoker, a humidor keeps the cigars from drying out by putting a moisture pad inside. We simply won’t be using the moisture pad nor the cheapo humidity gauge they usually give you.

So lets start. One used but still in great shape humidor with glass lid. If you don’t have one, you can pick up something decent for about $50. I added a lik leather NH tag to use to open lid. They are air tight and easier to open with something to grab.

0c012c51ff0454240a2be4fbe4555fbb.jpg

If you use a humidor, they sometimes come with a lil shelf and divider. Toss them.

Next, we added a little antique bronze clasp. 5 for $12 on Amazon. They come with tiny wood screws. You’ll need a jeweler type phillips head and a small awl to start a hole. Do not screw in without a starter hole. Also a mini pad lock with skeleton key.

d2da47a621ce965924dff6e603fd021e.jpg
97a7806eecb5cb28712e3e67386f1bfe.jpg

Next, you’ll want something to lay in there like velvet. I chose purple velvet. Rather than buy it by the yard, I actually got 2 - 14”x14” pillow shams with zippers on Amazon for about $11...
This is a lot cheaper than buying it by the yard plus you don’t gave to sew anything. Just stuff it and zip it.

e70d1275f3a7067fae5b77e1c7eb8f6a.jpg

You will need something to stuff it. That is your choice. I already had a bag of poly fill from another project. You can even rio open al old pillow and use the guts.

becce31e7b76922d10077c7e68daabc0.jpg

Next is rechargeable Silica packs. I got a 25 count bag cheap also on Amazon. I chose to line the bottom of the case and also throw some inside the sham.

debd803b20a07e6e7a71057308e3fac7.jpg
f16c4f479d82eeadef270f1ff985a665.jpg

Once you beat it and adjust it to get in the right position, you can see how the gun sits and adjust as needed.

Next is optional and not cheap. I picked up 2 - Sensor Push bluetooth temp/humidity sensors for $50 each. One for the box and one for my safe. After calibrating them and pairing them to my phone, I inserted one into the display case.

9440e3488fae6254fbc761b9526381ea.jpg
95961e735af8a4ebb10eb4f9ac888674.jpg

You don’t have to do this but I’m a bit of a tech nerd so.... [emoji6]
You can also use a cheap digital one too.
This one transmits data and stores 20 points which you can set alarms in the app if moisture increases. Kind of more important in my safe but....[emoji16]
Here is a sample of the data. I just put them in so it will take time to level off.

574b7ec3d910be05947f3534253fb359.jpg
8b6d7f57c5b1d88156227241d8d93b6d.jpg

That’s pretty much it. Outside of the sensors, its cheap, easy and looks great. You can fo crazy with it or go simple.

f686c9aa496eafdf1e2e79d430ac7d86.jpg
09183692c8cfcdf2d4f5ed51d2aade14.jpg
539a68c0a879928b53a309a588e02e95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Amendment: Removed quite a few moisture packs. Humidity too low. Optimum humidity for guns is 50%... lower can dry out wood, etc... this morning it was at 40%.

18 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Remove the gay, violet, velvet felt.  Please

Velvet of that color is typical for display, as well as red, royal blue, etc.
It's eggplant purple. What color do you suggest? TuTu pink? :rofl:
BTW, you can make it any way you want. This is a DIY project for info purposes only. Gun goes back in the safe until displaying purposes are needed.
#rayrayrarelyhasnicethingstosay

1 minute ago, bhunted said:

Velvet of that color is typical for display, as well as red, royal blue, etc.
It's eggplant purple. What color do you suggest? TuTu pink? :rofl:
BTW, you can make it any way you want. This is a DIY project for info purposes only. Gun goes back in the safe until displaying purposes are needed.
#rayrayrarelyhasnicethingstosay

What are you looking for, a handjob?  I like it a lot.  I just don't like the stupid barney, colored pillow.

10 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

What are you looking for, a handjob?  I like it a lot.  I just don't like the stupid barney, colored pillow.

...and I asked you what color. Ray, you usually comment with snide critique before saying something nice. Maybe you should start out being nice then critique. As I said, color is your choice. Use whatever you'd like. 

No hand jobs without dinner first. :yahoo:

39 minutes ago, bhunted said:

...and I asked you what color. Ray, you usually comment with snide critique before saying something nice. Maybe you should start out being nice then critique. As I said, color is your choice. Use whatever you'd like. 

No hand jobs without dinner first. :yahoo:

I don't like the Marine, it should have been a Coastie.  

I don't like the gun, it should have been a Beretta M9. 

I don't like the radios, they make it too cluttered.

Other than that, I like it.

Oh, and the color should have been blue. 

• Like 1
  • FacePalm 1

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I don't like the Marine, it should have been a Coastie.  No prob. I'll be sure to tell my GySgt 6'4" boy you hate the Marines:dancer:BTW, see my Avatar? She what I'm wearing? ....and doing? lmao!  PS: That's R Lee Ermey

I don't like the gun, it should have been a Beretta M9. You are just jealous and don't know fine weaponry. :beach:

I don't like the radios, they make it too cluttered. Yep, too cluttered. Was easy for me to take pictures there. :ninja:

Other than that, I like it. Ummm, OK;)

Oh, and the color should have been blue. OK, now build one and let me see yours. Bahahahaha! :rofl:

This wasn't to showcase 'a gun'. It was to show how easy and cheap it is to make. So tuff noggies! :yahoo: 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Uhhh, I don’t think this is the appropriate place to be offering other men handjobs. 

Take that to a gay hookup site, please. 

@bhunted

Nice pistol case. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Uhhh, I don’t think this is the appropriate place to be offering other men handjobs. 

Take that to a gay hookup site, please. 

@bhunted

Nice pistol case. 

I believe the app you are looking for is Grinder, or Grindr, or whatever it is. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

M9 over NH, yer funny!

Not really.  Marines don't carry NH pistols.  And as far as an actual military display, the M9 makes more sense.  Unless the OP is really old and carried a Colt 1911 then that is what should be in the case.  Also, the M9 is more reliable.  But NH is more expensive so rich guys can feel good.

3 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Not really.  Marines don't carry NH pistols.  And as far as an actual military display, the M9 makes more sense.  Unless the OP is really old and carried a Colt 1911 then that is what should be in the case.  Also, the M9 is more reliable.  But NH is more expensive so rich guys can feel good.

Recon and MARSOC Marines carry 1911s. 

Who said it was a Military display? Based on the Theme being NH based, given the tag, I think your making assumptions....again.

Your assertion on more reliable is based on what? A test Larry Vickers did had the Custom 1911 and an HK USP as exceedingly reliable compared to other pistols. How many rounds have you put through high end 1911's? Your Dicky comment about rich guys holds no water with me. Its pure bullshit. Ill take 1 NH over a drawer full of Glocks, Sigs, Beretta's etc etc. And thats the choice I made even back in the days of $11 an hour. If I could only afford a Glock, so be it but I certainly could appreciate a fine 1911 and wouldn't comfort myself with some imagined shortcoming for those that can afford better. In the words of Rob Dyrdek "Do more work son".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Who said it was a Military display? 

Nobody, I was making a jab at Marines.  It's a military thing.  The rest of your post was boring.

I'm not sure why this thread has gone off the rails, (who am I kidding, yes I do), but understand something. The 92, M9, choose what you call it, was not the guy in the fields choice.

I was an inspector of the gun armory at an Army base. I was there when they changed from 1911s to 92s.... I use to inspect it twice a year. It was always loaded with M16s and what, you say? 1911s....
Then, time for an inspection. I walked in with the Sgt and low and behold, I cringed. "What happened to all my beloved 1911s"? His head went down in disgust. That was the year they switched to 92s.... Needless to say, the Sgt and everyone at that base was pist. They wanted the 1911s back and hated the 92s. While the 92 is a fine weapon, they still wanted their 45s... So as Shane said, 1911s are still viable and loved by many in the field. LE too, there are depts around the country who still love them. My boy is not fond of 92s either. He qualifies with a Sig P226 in the Marines and he insists he carries that... 

Different strokes for different folks? Geezus... :deadhorse:

• Thanks 1