DirtyDigz

WTB - Slatwall panels

From a guy that used to work in a cabinet shop...

Those types of cuts are tricky, mostly because you to have to have a vacuum below the cutting head.  The chips will pile up in the channel and usually what happens is the board will ride high or get so hard to push, you think you've hit a knot.  You end up pushing down so hard it doesn't want to move.   Then you run the risk of driving your hand into the cutter when it does move.

If you don't have active vacuum, expect to pull the board back and clean the channel.  You also need a somewhat beefy router.  We always did the dovetailing and cuts like that with the 3.5hp routers so the RPM doesn't drop.  It's really suited for routers with tractor feeds, big motors and big vacuum.  A 2hp router will do it, but a smaller one will struggle.

Just my .02

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

From a guy that used to work in a cabinet shop...

Those types of cuts are tricky, mostly because you to have to have a vacuum below the cutting head.  The chips will pile up in the channel and usually what happens is the board will ride high or get so hard to push, you think you've hit a knot.  You end up pushing down so hard it doesn't want to move.   Then you run the risk of driving your hand into the cutter when it does move.

If you don't have active vacuum, expect to pull the board back and clean the channel.  You also need a somewhat beefy router.  We always did the dovetailing and cuts like that with the 3.5hp routers so the RPM doesn't drop.  It's really suited for routers with tractor feeds, big motors and big vacuum.  A 2hp router will do it, but a smaller one will struggle.

Just my .02

Thanks Malsua, I'll take the cost of a "heavy duty" router and the time to mill the channels into consideration.

I found a place that sells their "house" brand for ~$51.00 per 4' x 8' panel (qty 5 or more) and has a pick-up point in Pennsauken, so I might go with that:

https://www.panel.com/product-samples/slatwall-samples/dark-gray-melamine/

Just now, DirtyDigz said:

Home Depot/Lowe’s are >$100 per panel from what I’ve seen.

M. Fried in Brooklyn sounds good, but gotta factor travel time and tolls in.  I’m only looking at about 5 panels total.

Might wanna call about delivery... never know might be worth it.