45Doll

Alexa Is Apparently Recording You

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

also also........you can still be tracked relatively accurately with th gps turned off. these things are constantly talking to towers. 1 tower, they can track ya fairly close. 2 towers, they  can track ya kinda scary close. three towers, and they'll have ya just as accurately as if your gps was on.

But the locations where I may be are perishable info. If I really wanted to disappear, I'd just simply power down the phone, and then go back to a place where I can then turn it back on.  If wanted to stay "off the grid" permanently, I'd not be able to have a smart phone. I don't think I'd be that much "off the grid...."  ever.

16 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

But the locations where I may be are perishable info. If I really wanted to disappear, I'd just simply power down the phone, and then go back to a place where I can then turn it back on.  If wanted to stay "off the grid" permanently, I'd not be able to have a smart phone. I don't think I'd be that much "off the grid...."  ever.

I have heard of police locating individuals by "pinging" their phones, but I am not sure if the GPS plays a role this or not.

26 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

also also........you can still be tracked relatively accurately with th gps turned off. these things are constantly talking to towers. 1 tower, they can track ya fairly close. 2 towers, they  can track ya kinda scary close. three towers, and they'll have ya just as accurately as if your gps was on.

One tower can give approximate distance, which only places you somewhere on a circle around the tower.  Two towers will put you at one of the two points where the two circles intercept.  Three towers will identify at which of those two points you’re actually located.  Of course, one is usually in range of more than one tower. 

4 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

I have heard of police locating individuals by "pinging" their phones, but I am not sure if the GPS plays a role this or not.

I'm not worried about the police finding me.  If they want to find me, they will. So I may as well not bother to hide. My concern with all of this is strictly to ward off all the collection of my data for "marketing/merchandising" purposes...  that' just plain creepy..  :ninja::o:mad:

5 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

I'm not worried about the police finding me.  If they want to find me, they will. So I may as well not bother to hide. My concern with all of this is strictly to ward off all the collection of my data for "marketing/merchandising" purposes...  that' just plain creepy..  :ninja::o:mad:

Too late. You're posting on NJGF.

7 hours ago, PK90 said:

Too late. You're posting on NJGF.

6 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Well.... "HBecwithFn7" is posting on NJGF.... Not my real identity...   

Lol. I actually don’t have much info. 

The only personally identifiable information is the approximate address from where you post based on your public IP address.  This basically gets used to ascertain and block spam.  Ie you are posting from India, Pakistan, etc.

8 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

you gotta pull the battery. I flew on a few of the sorties looking for that crashed helo near Farley plaza many moons ago. there were some people with some stuff that if it got within 1500ft of the phones, it would pick them up. even if they were turned off. i'm pretty certain there's much better tech now. 

while the location info is "perishable", it still allows those with the tools and interest to form a database of where you were and when you were there and for how long. that's more bothersome than just a single location point. 

7 hours ago, 10X said:

One tower can give approximate distance, which only places you somewhere on a circle around the tower.  Two towers will put you at one of the two points where the two circles intercept.  Three towers will identify at which of those two points you’re actually located.  Of course, one is usually in range of more than one tower. 

don't forget......this is how the brits navaguessed to targets during nighttime bombing raids(in addition to the pathfinder mosquitoes). they'd broadcast 2 separate radio signals towards the target....where those signals crossed was the target. now, reverse that. your phone broadcasts to a tower 5 miles away at a heading of 270(from you). meanwhile it's broadcasting to another tower 8 miles away at a heading of180(from you). where those to signals cross is where you're at. 

Now, Alexa and Google Home, will help incriminate you in a crime. Isn't technology so helpful?

......"Amazon said it had received more than 3,000 requests for smart speaker user data from police earlier this year, according to a new article from Wired. Even more stunning, Amazon complied with the police's requests on more than 2,000 occasions, forking over recordings and data that give law enforcement an ear into someone's household. 

This number marks a 72% increase in these types of requests from the same period in 2016 - the first time Amazon disclosed the data. The number of requests are up 24% year over year. 

Google's Nest unit has also seen a similar spike in police demands for data from its smart speakers. The company's annual transparency report shows consistently rising numbers for police requests for data.

rise.jpg?itok=hULBCJZ5

Douglas Orr, head of the criminal justice department at the University of North Georgia, told Wired that police look for this smart home data "as routinely as data from smartphones". Police can continue to collect data if one electronic device (like a phone) leads them to another (like a smart home speaker) simply by amending search warrants, he said. 

This connecting of data from multiple devices is now becoming "common practice", Whitfield said. 

“I just don't see this going away. I think this is going to be more and more prolific as time goes on,” he concluded.

16 hours ago, Sniper said:

Now, Alexa and Google Home, will help incriminate you in a crime. Isn't technology so helpful?

......"Amazon said it had received more than 3,000 requests for smart speaker user data from police earlier this year, according to a new article from Wired. Even more stunning, Amazon complied with the police's requests on more than 2,000 occasions, forking over recordings and data that give law enforcement an ear into someone's household. 

This number marks a 72% increase in these types of requests from the same period in 2016 - the first time Amazon disclosed the data. The number of requests are up 24% year over year. 

Google's Nest unit has also seen a similar spike in police demands for data from its smart speakers. The company's annual transparency report shows consistently rising numbers for police requests for data.

rise.jpg?itok=hULBCJZ5

Douglas Orr, head of the criminal justice department at the University of North Georgia, told Wired that police look for this smart home data "as routinely as data from smartphones". Police can continue to collect data if one electronic device (like a phone) leads them to another (like a smart home speaker) simply by amending search warrants, he said. 

This connecting of data from multiple devices is now becoming "common practice", Whitfield said. 

“I just don't see this going away. I think this is going to be more and more prolific as time goes on,” he concluded.

OK, since the legend is shit and you pulled it from some source, any idea what the brown bits represent? Or the light yellow parts?

3 hours ago, raz-0 said:

OK, since the legend is shit and you pulled it from some source, any idea what the brown bits represent? Or the light yellow parts?

Hmmm, so what exactly has Alexa recorded in your house?