Malsua

Firing a weapon on unapproved range

One of the facebook pages I watch is the West Milford Police Department.  Mostly for road closings and whatnot since I travel through West Milford.  

They release the police blotter every month and this one caught my eye.   I guess this is the catch-all or maybe the "we gotta give you something" charge.

Firing a weapon on unapproved range
On April 7, 2019 at approximately 7:10 PM West Milford Police were alerted about someone firing a shotgun at the end of Virginia Lane. Officers responded and found a vehicle parked at the end of the cul de sac. Inside the vehicle officers observed a gun case on the back seat. Officers phoned the registered owner of the vehicle who made his way back to his vehicle through the woods. West Milford resident Cody Marienthal, 26, emerged and admitted to sighting in his weapon on property that belonged to him. Marienthal was issued a township ordinance by Officer Stephen Herzog for firing a weapon on an unapproved range.

Couldn't just mention to the gentleman or even give an official warning that he was not allowed to sight in his firearm on his own property and that it shouldn't happen again.  

Yup.  In my twsp you need to get a shooting gallery permit.  Yearly renewal of 25$.  There is a no discharge of firearms ordinance in my twsp.  To get the permit the local pd comes out to inspect for safety and to see if you have an adequate back stop.  If all is clear it then gets approved by the twsp committee.  

"No discharge within town" would technically mean no air guns either, right?  

22 hours ago, fishnut said:

Growing up I had one of those  unapproved ranges at my parents house in Lebanon NJ. A few of the local cops would shoot at our house pretty often lol. The times have changed!

I believe that firing guns on your property in Lebanon is still GTG. I checked the ordnances recently.

3 hours ago, anactivegrenade said:

I believe that firing guns on your property in Lebanon is still GTG. I checked the ordnances recently.

Isn’t there a state thing that beyond town ordinance you need to have a minimum amount of acres too?