SmittyMHS

Ricky Raccoon AKA- excape artist

So I have a raccoon that set up house keeping under my garage. I set up a brand new Havaheart trap lastnite. Tested its lock and trip a few times to make sure it was working. The sucker somehow got out of it!. Flipped it on its side and left it. He was apparently in there a while so I know the gate was locked down. Trap doesn't look bent up or anything. My main question is, now that he was trapped once, is it any use to set the trap again? He apparently knows how to get out of it now.

trap1.jpg

14 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Stick a small nail in the shed and wire the trap upright. If it can't tip over he can't get out.

Note, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to trap and release an animal in NJ...

Good idea.

I'm just gonna give him a stern warning. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Handyman said:

Then my job (board of education) should get a phone call because I have had to catch a bunch of rodents.

13 hours ago, Handyman said:

Kinda true, it's illegal to trap and release any rabies vector species (raccoon,opossum,groundhog, ect) and release them on public property. You can release them on private property with written permission. 

10 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Then my job (board of education) should get a phone call because I have had to catch a bunch of rodents.

Nope, rodents are not rabies vector species. 

OP- flipping traps is a very common thing and once they learn how to flip the trap they will keep on doing it. Just take a piece of rebar, copper pipe or something similar and slide it through the holes in the trap on the bottom of the side in front and back. This enlarges the foot print and makes it impossible to flip. Also sardines or fish based cat food is the best bait for raccoons. You will need to check to see if the raccoon in the trap is a lactating mother because its raccoon baby season. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me I've done this once or twice before. 

My buddy and I went over the trap and noticed that the top latch that captures the rod to keep the trap door locked down is only held down by gravity. On its side it can float up allowing the locking rod to (possibly) to come free. So I see that flipping the trap could be the cause.  I wonder why Havaheart doesn't address that. Or at least warn you.

13 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

My buddy and I went over the trap and noticed that the top latch that captures the rod to keep the trap door locked down is only held down by gravity. On its side it can float up allowing the locking rod to (possibly) to come free. So I see that flipping the trap could be the cause.  I wonder why Havaheart doesn't address that. Or at least warn you.

Havaheart brand traps are not of very good quality. They are good enough for most homeowners but there are other brands that are of much better quality that the pros use. They have a "lock" on them that locks the "locking rod" in place