Mike Jones

Storing Firearms Outside of your Home

The issue when you marry a Liberal Woman....

The wife would rather not have firearms inside the house because we have children and someone she once knew, knew someone who got their hair done with someone’s cousin who went to school with someone who was 3rd cousins twice removed with someone who left their handgun in an unlocked drawer and the one child shot the other child.... 

She’s extremely sure that we’ll never have a break in, so there’s no need to have them in the house.... 

Currently the wife’s trade-in value wouldn’t be worth a Hi-Point. So that’s out of the question. 

I’m currently in SE Jersey.

My Options:

Gun Range that Stores Firearms

Storage Facility (would obviously be in a safe, with a Hardened Lock and some other form of security)

Purchasing a cheap AF house nearby (would be mainly to piss my wife off!) and store them there until she comes around and then rent that house out for passive income.

I’m not familiar with the NJ Gulag Gun Laws and if any of this is even possible, but any insight would be truly appreciated! Not a happy camper as obviously would never want to be on the wrong end of what happens if my child got their hands on a firearm somehow... but also concerned that multiple intruders with knives would likely wipe my entire family out as my Super Hero Martial Arts skills at fending off multiple intruders ends where reality starts... and would rather not play those odds... 

This calls for extreme measures. 

Hire someone to break into your house, tie up your wife, threaten to kill her, and steal something. Then let us know how she feels.

:peep:

Just kidding of course.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Jones said:

Even that’s not enough for storing them in the house. Because what if they accidentally guess the combination or I leave it unlocked/open, or {insert one of the 1 in a gajillion scenarios of “what if’s”}

It’s possible that PK90 was suggesting storing your kids in the gun safe.  It’s the only way to protect them from those 1 in gajillion scenarios.

Otherwise, I’d tell your wife that the absolute best you can do is keep individual gun locks on all of the guns you keep locked in the safe.  It’s overkill, but would reduce the risk to (1 in gajillion)^2.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PK90 said:

This calls for extreme measures. 

Hire someone to break into your house, tie up your wife, threaten to kill her, and steal something. Then let us know how she feels.

:peep:

Just kidding of course.

Too expensive. Just buy a gun safe and have it fall on her. Really how long have you been married. Is your collection new to her?  Are there kids involved or is this just future fretting. 

5 minutes ago, BobA said:

Too expensive. Just buy a gun safe and have it fall on her. Really how long have you been married. Is your collection new to her?  Are there kids involved or is this just future fretting. 

Kids are involved meaning they’re in the house. Both under 7yo. 3rd child on the way. They don’t shoot yet.

Well, I assume she has a working brain... but is she rational enough to respond to facts?

If so, print out local police blotters from the newspaper, and crime stats from NJ State Police website... (pepper that with a few chilling home invasion/DGU cases)... and compare that to accidental gun deaths for the same general locale. The odds are self-evident. Obviously, no one wants bad things to befall ANY household. But, the numbers are the numbers. Your chances of a break-in or some other life-threatening crime (even if the odds are slim) are still far, far higher statistically than the odds of an accidental shooting. 

If that doesn't convince her, suggest that you will BOTH participate in the household's gun safety regime. Pick the combo # together, set up a strict protocol, perhaps enlist her to do a quick check of the gun safe after you lock up when returning from range, etc. Make it a team effort... instead of "me against you". Locking horns NEVER works!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Do you have smoke detectors? CO detectors?  A fire extinquisher?  

Why?  You will never need them.

Until you do.  Man up.

When you’re dealing with a woman... in this case, a pregnant woman. All rationale, logic and reasoning are as realistic as a unicorn being ridden by Helen Keller and while shooting a Phaser Rifle while battling Klingons and Dragons while trying to get to Never Never Land and Mordor so you can sit on the Iron Throne in King’s Landing

• Haha 2
  • Disagree 1

Outside storage is legal but will eventually cost you more than the guns are worth. Peel's suggestion is your best option. Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jones said:

I’ll work on her... but what are my options storing them outside of the house? 

If you own a second home, rent an apartment, or own a business I believe you can keep them there. You can transport between the points, and I don't remember seeing anything that says you can't keep them there. I recommend checking the statutes and perhaps contacting am attorney for a legal opinion. 

24 minutes ago, Mike Jones said:

When you’re dealing with a woman... in this case, a pregnant woman. All rationale, logic and reasoning are as realistic as a unicorn being ridden by Helen Keller and while shooting a Phaser Rifle while battling Klingons and Dragons while trying to get to Never Never Land and Mordor so you can sit on the Iron Throne in King’s Landing

Been there done that.  Still have my guns in the house.  My wife knows better than to try and order me to do anything,  and I don't order her to do anything.  If she wants me to do somerhing, she either will rationally explain why, or I don't do it.

The odds of a kid being injurred by a firearm almost negligible compared to other household threats.  Electricy, chemicals, tools, corners of furniture etc.  

Gun locked in safe.  Out of sight out of mind until needed.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, 10X said:

Otherwise, I’d tell your wife that the absolute best you can do is keep individual gun locks on all of the guns you keep locked in the safe.  It’s overkill, but would reduce the risk to (1 in gajillion)^2.

This is what I would propose to her. They are DOUBLE locked in this situation...

If she still won't agree, you have two options, but the first option gets really expensive with the divorce lawyer. So, I suggest the second option, grow a pair and stop letting her wear the pants in the family.

As I mentioned in past posts, my wife absolutely doesn't like my hobby either, and wants nothing to do with my firearms. She, on occassion, gets on some sort of "safety" kick because of how I keep some items in the ready. But at the end of the day, I basically told her that it's my hobby, and to close her pie hole. Sometimes being "direct" can clear the air, and she realizes that it's unfair to impose her likes/dislikes on me, and I have the right to participate in the hobby of my choosing, not hers....

• Agree 1

My daughter is a flaming liberal.  College graduate (naturally), a Bernie supporter, and a Phil Murphy fan club member.  I took her to the range one day because she was bored and she found she actually likes shooting.  And she's quite good with revolver, which is saying something.  She'll ask me when am I going to the range next time.

If you have not already, take her to the range (after the child's birth of course) and see what she thinks of it.

Get a gun safe with a S&G combo lock.  Those locks also use a key to lock the wheel from turning so you would have to have the key and know the combination.  Plus the combo entry is not like a typical padlock and involves more turns between numbers.

OP: If you want a firearm just to defend your family against intrusion, this whole discussion is moot. The intruder(s) will not stand around while you unlock the dial, dial in the combination, remove the firearm, unlock the cable lock.... etc. So don't bother with a safe. They also won't wait for you to go to the offsite storage facility and retrieve them.

If I had young children in the house my firearms would be in the safe at all times, unless they were on my person or under my direct supervision. The ammunition would also be locked up somewhere else, just as impenetrable. Children, especially young boys, are very resourceful. And curious. For this I would have to forgo the idea of immediate self defense and accept the possible consequences. Fortunately I don't have that issue.

On the other hand, if you want firearms and your wife does not, that's a different issue.  It might be time for a high level discussion.

Finally, I'm not sure my opinions are relevant to your marriage. Your scenario does not exist in my married universe.

Men marry women hoping they will never change.  Women marry men with the intent to change them.

If you owned guns before you got married, then she married a gun owner.  If she no longer trusts you to own guns and deems you too irresponsible, then your marriage is doomed.

Buy a safe, lock up the guns and let that be that.  If she presses the issue and says to you...  "You decided guns are more important than me".  Say, "no dear, you decided you cannot trust me, if you cannot trust me to protect you and our family, we don't have a marriage".

It's that simple.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Men marry women hoping they will never change.  Women marry men with the intent to change them.

If you owned guns before you got married, then she married a gun owner.  If she no longer trusts you to own guns and deems you too irresponsible, then your marriage is doomed.

Buy a safe, lock up the guns and let that be that.  If she presses the issue and says to you...  "You decided guns are more important than me".  Say, "no dear, you decided you cannot trust me, if you cannot trust me to protect you and our family, we don't have a marriage".

It's that simple.

From what I read, he’s still have sex with this lady. Your plan of buying a second house might well be smart, assuming this marriage is doomed. Just make sure you get the house with the guns in the divorce! Good luck with your priorities, my friend.

You are in a pickle.

I met my wife in 1994. I was an avid motorcyclist. We married in 1998, and I was still an avid motorcyclist. She knew what she was getting into. Jackets, boots, gloves, tools, helmets....tons of shit.

If, after the wedding, she had said to me "get rid of the bike" I would have said NO. She knew what she was getting into.

If you had guns before the wedding, and she knew about them.......stick to your guns.

If you got your guns after the wedding........ then wasn't she involved in that conversation?

Like others have said.....

If you cannot have an adult conversation about gun safety and come to a valid compromise, then your issues go much further than the firearms.....

My wife married a car nut..... she knew it, and embraced it...... when I spend big dollars on a upgrade or repair, she does not say a word...

I got back into guns after we got married...... she does NOT like guns,  we talked, and I calmed her fears, and made sure she was comfortable on how I handled this hobby.  Thats what marriage is ...... respect by both parties...... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Have you seen the under the bed type gun safes?

More long winded history about my motorcycling........ Around 2007, I lost my job. And my bike needed alot of work that far exceeded its value....valves, carbs, suspension, tires etc. Easily $2000 worth of work on a $1500 bike.

And I had a couple serious "holy shit" scares on my bike, mostly on my commute thru Whiting.

And my second son was born. And I saw the clouds on the horizon with the recession. 

I made the decision to sell the bike while it was still worth something, with the wife understanding that I would want a new hobby to occupy my time. I used the bike $ as a down payment on my first ever new car.

It took me a few years to figure it out, but in 2010 my oldest son was 8 and was taking an interest in guns...mostly video games and what not. I talked with my wife and said "I want to get a .22 rifle to train the boy in appropriate gun use and safety". My biggest fear at the time was him going to his redneck friend's house and getting into that dad's unsecured guns without any clue about how they worked.

She agreed, as long as I had a proper gun safe for storage. I bought the safe whilst I waited on my FID card. That one Marlin 60 has turned into 30 guns. And my oldest son (now 17 and headed for the USAF) is properly trained on gun safety. If I have a gun out, he will ask to look at it and then he will clear it. He has called dibbs on at least 10 of my long guns when he gets his FID this fall. We are in the process of building his first AR.

Son # 2 (now 12) shows very little interest guns. I have unloaded guns in my office all the time and kid #2 will come in to talk to me about whatever youtube bullshit is on his mind, see an unloaded .357 on the desk.....and not even notice it. 

Hiding guns from my kids was not the answer. I decided to expose them to guns early to take the mystery out of them. I consider training both of my boys proper gun safety and marksmanship to be one of my best parenting decisions.

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

Have you seen the under the bed type gun safes?

More long winded history about my motorcycling........ Around 2007, I lost my job. And my bike needed alot of work that far exceeded its value....valves, carbs, suspension, tires etc. Easily $2000 worth of work on a $1500 bike.

And I had a couple serious "holy shit" scares on my bike, mostly on my commute thru Whiting.

And my second son was born. And I saw the clouds on the horizon with the recession. 

I made the decision to sell the bike while it was still worth something, with the wife understanding that I would want a new hobby to occupy my time. I used the bike $ as a down payment on my first ever new car.

It took me a few years to figure it out, but in 2010 my oldest son was 8 and was taking an interest in guns...mostly video games and what not. I talked with my wife and said "I want to get a .22 rifle to train the boy in appropriate gun use and safety". My biggest fear at the time was him going to his redneck friend's house and getting into that dad's unsecured guns without any clue about how they worked.

She agreed, as long as I had a proper gun safe for storage. I bought the safe whilst I waited on my FID card. That one Marlin 60 has turned into 30 guns. And my oldest son (now 17 and headed for the USAF) is properly trained on gun safety. If I have a gun out, he will ask to look at it and then he will clear it. He has called dibbs on at least 10 of my long guns when he gets his FID this fall. We are in the process of building his first AR.

Son # 2 (now 12) shows very little interest guns. I have unloaded guns in my office all the time and kid #2 will come in to talk to me about whatever youtube bullshit is on his mind, see an unloaded .357 on the desk.....and not even notice it. 

Hiding guns from my kids was not the answer. I decided to expose them to guns early to take the mystery out of them. I consider training both of my boys proper gun safety and marksmanship to be one of my best parenting decisions.

This is kind of what I did.  Being a LEO my kids were going to have guns around the house all the time.  My oldest daughter was 4 when she made her first trio to the range.  My younger daughter showed no interest in guns until recently.  They both knew they could handle my guns whenever they asked.  What age you let your kid do whatever with guns depends on the kid.  There are plenty of people in their 50s that never should have been given a driver's license.