Mike Jones

Storing Firearms Outside of your Home

19 hours ago, Mike Jones said:

The issue when you marry a Liberal Woman....

The wife would rather not have firearms inside the house because we have children and someone she once knew, knew someone who got their hair done with someone’s cousin who went to school with someone who was 3rd cousins twice removed with someone who left their handgun in an unlocked drawer and the one child shot the other child.... 

She’s extremely sure that we’ll never have a break in, so there’s no need to have them in the house.... 

Currently the wife’s trade-in value wouldn’t be worth a Hi-Point. So that’s out of the question. 

I’m currently in SE Jersey.

My Options:

Gun Range that Stores Firearms

Storage Facility (would obviously be in a safe, with a Hardened Lock and some other form of security)

Purchasing a cheap AF house nearby (would be mainly to piss my wife off!) and store them there until she comes around and then rent that house out for passive income.

I’m not familiar with the NJ Gulag Gun Laws and if any of this is even possible, but any insight would be truly appreciated! Not a happy camper as obviously would never want to be on the wrong end of what happens if my child got their hands on a firearm somehow... but also concerned that multiple intruders with knives would likely wipe my entire family out as my Super Hero Martial Arts skills at fending off multiple intruders ends where reality starts... and would rather not play those odds... 

1) your first mistake was to marry her.

2) fuck her feelings.  she knew what she was getting when she married you. as long as you store them safely, then she's just gonna hafta be happy.

3) sorry if i sound like a dick. not trying to.

So, how old are your children?   Have you provided an opportunity for your wife to go shooting and learn about firearms?  

She said out of the home right? Did she also say off the property? Buy a small shed and a decent gun safe. Run power to the shed for climate control and a light. Maybe a door alarm also if your worried about it getting broken into. 

20 hours ago, PK90 said:

This calls for extreme measures. 

Hire someone to break into your house, tie up your wife, threaten to kill her, and steal something. Then let us know how she feels.

Jussie Smollett may know a couple of guys you could hire. 

• Haha 4

I have ammo in one safe, arms in another. Home defense firearm with a mounted light and spare mags secured with a biometric safe. Likely I will have a gun room at some point, but this works for now. 

I don't necessarily think it is prudent to upset a pregnant woman and I don't give out marriage advice to others, but as in my case it was nonnegotiable.   I just decided it was time after waiting 2-3 months for FID and permit and went and purchased a handgun.  When I brought it home she was unhappy, but I told her that I would be responsible with it and that I felt safer with it being in our home.  Guns are safe when the rules are followed.  They don't usually jump up and go off on their own.

Does she have any experience with guns or have a close personal acquaintance with experience such as father, uncle, brother, best-friend's spouse that has had one for a long time without any problems?  If so, then you might want to build on that.  She needs to respect your wishes as much as you hers.  Tell her you understand her fear and that you are not making light of it.  This is a little tongue-in-cheek but talks a little to the give and take in marriage:   

Screw the Hallmark Channel or Oxygen by the way!

You are the male and have the main duty of protector in the family and you take it very seriously.  Having a means of protecting your growing family is very important!   Let her know that once she becomes more comfortable with a firearm around that you would like her to get some training on how to use it as well.. And that all of this is part of a safety plan you want to make for your family.   And you would hope that the chance for a home invasion is slim and would NEVER happen and that you don't want it to happen, but these types of crimes are on the rise and there are bad people out there.  Maybe encourage her to read about some examples of evil that exist such as this one:

Lastly, guns can be a hobby and are used for shooting sports and hunting, and they also can be used to help teach children to be more responsible and less afraid as they grow up with them.  And, the citizen has a responsibility to defend his or her family and community.   

Lastly,  In particular, boys (and husbands) don't need to be more emasculated in this progressive world. 

Maybe bring her some flowers and some shoes for her when you bring the Glock home!  Make a deal.  She can get a new outfit and/or shoes every time you get a gun and that you will work hard so that you can put a gun safe in the corner of her walk-in closet so that you can both store all of your stuff.  

Mike,

Do you have a basement? If so just declare it is your man cave. I don't know how many guns you have but get a Liberty Safe that holds about 20 long guns. They also have the S&G combo locks. I have that safe and they have to bring it in with an appliance carrier. It weighs about 500 lbs. and once in place nothing is moving it. She is not telling you to get rid of your firearms, so as long as you have them they should be in a safe.

https://www.libertysafe.com/safe-centurion-safes-ps-23.html

20 hours ago, drjjpdc said:

Mike,

Do you have a basement? If so just declare it is your man cave. I don't know how many guns you have but get a Liberty Safe that holds about 20 long guns. They also have the S&G combo locks. I have that safe and they have to bring it in with an appliance carrier. It weighs about 500 lbs. and once in place nothing is moving it. She is not telling you to get rid of your firearms, so as long as you have them they should be in a safe.

https://www.libertysafe.com/safe-centurion-safes-ps-23.html

3500 sq feet but no basement. Just on the edge of a Flood Plane. So just a crawl space.

I appreciate the ideas on the safe. I’ll be looking into it. 

I’m not in a great position right now with the wife trade-in either. High earner with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way, I’d get annihilated with child support and alimony. An investment property or building a fortified bunker would be a cheaper option. 

8 minutes ago, Mike Jones said:

High earner with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way, I’d get annihilated with child support and alimony.

A Liberal woman, who's pregnant with raging hormones that are running like a roller coaster...

I'd suggest you buy one of these first before buying the safe:

WoSporT-Airsoft-Tactical-Military-Helmet

18 minutes ago, Sniper said:

A Liberal woman, who's pregnant with raging hormones that are running like a roller coaster...

I'd suggest you buy one of these first before buying the safe:

WoSporT-Airsoft-Tactical-Military-Helmet

It’s basically middle school around my house. Her and her mother against her father and myself. It’s F’ing insane. Her father and myself are building a 25’ x 26’ deck AZEK deck after ripping up the 20 year old Mahogany deck that was beat to shit and all the stainless steel, Un-coated screws with stripped heads had to be removed... We are busting our ass and she flips out on him over the most insignificant sh*t you can imagine. 

I joked to him in front of the Mother-in-Law that my wife got upset at me the other day because I breathed some of her air and she got upset about it... I’m sure that comment made it’s way back to my wife. 

I’m also looking at working versions of an Iron Man Suit with extra armor. 

Hate to say it but if gun ownership is something you're passionate about and she is still unwilling meet you half way with some of the ideas around safes and others that were tossed around here, you will end up losing far more over time than just your guns. I totally understand the safety concern with kids and support assuring they can't access the firearms but she is just repudiating something you believe in and stand for. 

23 minutes ago, Mike Jones said:

Brah, that ain't gonna happen.  You need to figure out a way to ride the storm until she pops the sprog.  Postpartum could be even worse, maybe buy a book, or something.  You need tools, not imaginary armor.

I had a similar problem when I was a teenager. My father wasn't against guns just didn't want any in his home.

As I asked before I don't know how many guns you have, but I only see one other solution. If you don't have that many, could you leave them at your FIL's or at another friend's house. You could also buy a small safe and leave it at a friend's house.

The other suggestion is if you have any friend's that are gun owner's that have their own safe, do they have room for yours?

42 minutes ago, drjjpdc said:

I had a similar problem when I was a teenager. My father wasn't against guns just didn't want any in his home.

As I asked before I don't know how many guns you have, but I only see one other solution. If you don't have that many, could you leave them at your FIL's or at another friend's house. You could also buy a small safe and leave it at a friend's house.

The other suggestion is if you have any friend's that are gun owner's that have their own safe, do they have room for yours?

Long guns are one thing but I don't think this works for handguns given the law.

4 hours ago, GlennS87 said:

Long guns are one thing but I don't think this works for handguns given the law.

Based on new law, I think there would be a problem with both. It could be considered an illegal transfer without NICS and COE/FFL paperwork... The days of letting a buddy take/try a long gun, just because he has a FID card are over.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

Where have the guns been for the last 7 years?   You have one child that is just under 7 and you own firearms.  

Or is this a Brady Bunch marriage?

I have only gotten back into firearms within the past 1-2 years. I used to shoot as a child/teen with my father and went with a client recently to his range and got me back into it (which is probably the best way to get Anti-2A Commies to turn to the side of Freedom instead of Tyranny)... so I haven’t always owned firearms during our marriage. 

Not a Brady bunch marriage. We’ve been together for 10+ years. 

Ideally I would have them in a big ass safe in the garage (wish we had a basement, but only a crawl space), and would likely build it into an enclosed space with a secondary door. Second option would be a Storage Unit (lower cost-wise, but not 100% secure or protected against theft) then a cheap condo (our taxes are already over the $10k cap so I would want to keep these costs down as much as possible)... and last, purchasing land and possibly building a storage unit. 

I’d likely try to utilize the condo (2br) as an investment property rental, renting out the 2nd room and basically a full apt to themselves minus 1 of the rooms to offset some of the cost. Eventually hoping the wife would get back on board and I could have them at home and utilize it as a rental fully. Not sure of the laws behind that though. 

On 5/10/2019 at 11:26 AM, Mike Jones said:

It’s basically middle school around my house. Her and her mother against her father and myself. It’s F’ing insane. Her father and myself are building a 25’ x 26’ deck AZEK deck after ripping up the 20 year old Mahogany deck that was beat to shit and all the stainless steel, Un-coated screws with stripped heads had to be removed... We are busting our ass and she flips out on him over the most insignificant sh*t you can imagine. 

I joked to him in front of the Mother-in-Law that my wife got upset at me the other day because I breathed some of her air and she got upset about it... I’m sure that comment made it’s way back to my wife. 

As i have stated before, this marriage is doomed...and other have said this is not about guns....you have chosen poorly.

You have been and slowly are being emasculated...i can guarentee your MIL watches the view.

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

As i have stated before, this marriage is doomed...and other have said this is not about guns....you have chosen poorly.

You have been and slowly are being emasculated...i can guarentee your MIL watches the view.

Yup.

• Like 1

Not going to comment on your marriage, i think folks talking about divorce are out of line- but I will share that my experiences with GunSitters has been excellent.  

I live in north jersey and currently renting my apartment so it its quite a different scenario.  Wife is not a fan of guns but understands why I feel they are necessary.  We have compromised to keeping my two hand guns locked in a safe in the apartment. 

My long guns and most of my ammo are sitting in storage at the GunSitters facility.  This keeps the visual evidence to a minimum so "out of sight, out of mind" keeps the wife happy and I am happy that I know I can protect us better than without.  Wife has also gone to the range with me once a year so she has some very limited basic knowledge of how to handle.  Better than 0 trips, but I am working on that.  

Yes you will eventually pay more $ than the guns/ammo are worth by storing your firearms/ammo outside your home.  You will need to calculate if that is worth the peace of mind/relationship/hobbyist pursuits. The guys at GunSitters have been really helpful, even helping me move all my stuff from the car to my locker and respond quickly whenever I need to make a trip to my locker before/after the range.  For me, this is "short term" until I buy property of my own-at which point everything is coming back under my roof securely stored.  That may still be a couple of years away but it has been worth it to me.

Yea. I got nothing good here.

There's gun sitting services available, but frankly you're going to be forced to choose between guns or her, and she's going to win it looks like.  Might consider just caving in now and save the hassle.

On 5/12/2019 at 6:44 AM, USRifle30Cal said:

Sadly... yes...

I wonder if that Ironman suit comes with his choice of color for the apron?

On 5/8/2019 at 1:34 PM, Mike Jones said:

Even that’s not enough for storing them in the house. Because what if they accidentally guess the combination or I leave it unlocked/open, or {insert one of the 1 in a gajillion scenarios of “what if’s”}

Buy a gun safe. Tell the wife to try to get into it. Don't even limit her to her ridiculous bullshit answer. 

• Agree 1

Before I had the long gun safe I took the bolts and firing pins out. You could store the firearms in the safe with the bolts removed. Put the bolts & firing pins in a biometric safe. Extreme, but I don't think "what if the kids cut your finger off and use it to open the safe?" would be asked. If it is, you clearly have bigger problems.