silverado427

Range 14 was closed today

2 hours ago, silverado427 said:

It was closed for , Rifle and hand guns. The shotgun section was going to be open.

It sucked I wanted to try out my newly  aquired PA prison scope. The sad part is I had to drive their to find out they were closed.

Yeah, that sucks. Sucks to want to shoot new gear and have your day screwed.

I follow them on FB. They announced this closure last week.

From their FB post...

"The rifle/pistol ranges will be closed 6-17 May while work is being performed down range. Good news for skeet shooters skeet fields will be open during this time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause but it is out of our control."

2 hours ago, AC215 said:

From their FB post...

"The rifle/pistol ranges will be closed 6-17 May while work is being performed down range. Good news for skeet shooters skeet fields will be open during this time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause but it is out of our control."

Thanks. I was hoping they were updating the ports for the pistol side. Those are in dire need of renovation. 

What a fun morning there today. It was full by 9am. Got one of the last few lanes. People taking their damn sweet time, walking onto the range after nearly everyone was back to go down 100 yards to fix a target that was just slightly tilted. Another person when their time up refused to leave. Someone else was firing tracers and lit the berm on fire. People were being stupid as hell.

8 hours ago, Greenday said:

What a fun morning there today. It was full by 9am. Got one of the last few lanes. People taking their damn sweet time, walking onto the range after nearly everyone was back to go down 100 yards to fix a target that was just slightly tilted. Another person when their time up refused to leave. Someone else was firing tracers and lit the berm on fire. People were being stupid as hell.

Thats why I try to go during the week.

Just joined today. R14 is only 10 minutes from my house, so it was a no brainer.

Ive been a gun owner my whole adult life, but never much of a range shooter. My shooting is mostly hunting scenarios. There is some land behind me that i can shoot whatever i want, when i want, but i havnt really taken advantage of that other than hunting. Prefer not to bother the neighbors with continual shooting. When i was 21 and bought my first handgun, S&W 686 .357, i went to an indoor ran a few times. Havnt been to legitimate range in 25 years since then. 

Fast forward those 25 years, and ive acquired a lot of firearms; handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc etc. Mostly safe queens but looking to change that with this membership to R14.

Any suggestions for a new guy there?

Whats your favorite target/type to bring?

I would like to shoot .22, 9mm., .357 handgun, and then some rifles. Thinking all during the same trip. Ok to put out multiple targets at once and shoot various guns during the same trip?

Would also likely be bringing a guest or two. Teenage son, girlfriend, etc.. 

Thanks

Ron

30 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Whats your favorite target/type to bring?

I would like to shoot .22, 9mm., .357 handgun, and then some rifles. Thinking all during the same trip. Ok to put out multiple targets at once and shoot various guns during the same trip?

It's OK to set up multiple different targets. We set up a few at different distances, depending if it's for handgun or rifle.

I also mix it up, and bring some filled soda cans and water bottles that I dye different colors. Just as a change from punching holes in paper.

• Informative 1

Plan ahead for cease fires, have all your targets and related gear off the bench and ready to go when they give you the green light to head  down range.  If you touch anything on the bench during a ceasefire, be prepared for a dressing down.

If you are shooting out at 200 yds, put up multiple target stands.  For rifle, I bring two 2'x4' sheets of Coroplast (corrugated plastic) and staple them to  5' landscaping stakes, driven well into the ground.  I can put 4 to 16 targets on each.  Coroplast holds staples very well but I prefer adhesive backed splatter targets  with adhesive hole covers for speed.  200 yards seems like 2 miles when everyone is waiting for you to check or set up targets.

I don't recommend their targets on a stick, the ones that you have to use a post hole digger to plant.  They suck in so many ways.  Difficult to see hits and half the time the wind rips them off the stake, or blows them over.  All of their other targets are good. 

Those signs you see all over, on the sides of highways, the going out of business sale, I buy junk cars, political signs etc., they are made of coroplast, and make great target stands, especially if you hunt small game.

Don't rent their spotting scopes, they are cheap to begin with and have been abused.  A Harbor Freight el cheapo scope works better than theirs.

If you save your brass, do not pick up anything over the red line while the range is hot.  You can only pick up brass that lands over the line during a cease fire.  After you check your targets, pick up brass before you cross the line and post a red flag. or is it green flag?  fuck, whatever.  Just pick up brass on the pad and on the dirt at the appropriate times.

EDIT:  You can shoot water filled containers.  Seeing them explode at 200 yds is a real hoot.  You can't shot soda bottles filled with soda, you can shoot a soda bottle you refilled with water.  They are real strict with food targets, especially sugar.  They wouldn't even let me shoot peeps bunny rabbits on a kebab stick.

• Thanks 1

Load that table up. It's yours to do with it as you please.

27 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Plan ahead for cease fires, have all your targets and related gear off the bench and ready to go when they give you the green light to head  down range.  If you touch anything on the bench during a ceasefire, be prepared for a dressing down.

I don't recommend their targets on a stick, the ones that you have to use a post hole digger to plant.  They suck in so many ways.  Difficult to see hits and half the time the wind rips them off the stake, or blows them over.  All of their other targets are good. 

If you save your brass, do not pick up anything over the red line while the range is hot.  You can only pick up brass that lands over the line during a cease fire.  After you check your targets, pick up brass before you cross the line and post a red flag. or is it green flag?  fuck, whatever.  Just pick up brass on the pad and on the dirt at the appropriate times.

That guy on the mic is funny. But yea, he'll be quick to call out anything stupid.

I use one of their targets, but I staple my own splatter targets over it so I can better see where I hit. If it's not windy, they work well.

If the RSO knows you are picking up your own brass, they've sometime swept up my used brass into a pile behind me to make it easier to pick up. Cool folks.

Red = Range is hot

Green = Range is clear

• Thanks 1