silverado427

Range 14 was closed today

1 minute ago, My1stGlock said:

What looks like is in lane when you are down range can end up in your neighbor's lanes when you get back to to the line

That's an excellent point, I was going to mention it but got lazy.  It seems like a common sense easy thing to do, but it's more difficult than one would think.  I have a habit of putting targets off to the left when setting up staggered  targets at multiple ranges.

36 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

You can shoot water filled containers.  Seeing them explode at 200 yds is a real hoot.  You can't shot soda bottles filled with soda, you can shoot a soda bottle you refilled with water.  They are real strict with food targets, especially sugar. 

I always bring a case of generic canned soda, and we shake the cans before putting them out. They explode pretty good! The range Nazi has never said anything about them.

• Like 1

I don’t mind their targets. They’re fine for single use and you can throw adhesive ones on top of the cardboard.  For what, $4 each, they are what they are.  I do bring my own post-home digger tho. 

Usually bring a mix of rifle and pistol and get 4-5 targets to put up between 25 and 100’ish. 

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Plan ahead for cease fires, have all your targets and related gear off the bench and ready to go when they give you the green light to head  down range.  If you touch anything on the bench during a ceasefire, be prepared for a dressing down.

If you are shooting out at 200 yds, put up multiple target stands.  For rifle, I bring two 2'x4' sheets of Coroplast (corrugated plastic) and staple them to  5' landscaping stakes, driven well into the ground.  I can put 4 to 16 targets on each.  Coroplast holds staples very well but I prefer adhesive backed splatter targets  with adhesive hole covers for speed.  200 yards seems like 2 miles when everyone is waiting for you to check or set up targets.

I don't recommend their targets on a stick, the ones that you have to use a post hole digger to plant.  They suck in so many ways.  Difficult to see hits and half the time the wind rips them off the stake, or blows them over.  All of their other targets are good. 

Those signs you see all over, on the sides of highways, the going out of business sale, I buy junk cars, political signs etc., they are made of coroplast, and make great target stands, especially if you hunt small game.

Don't rent their spotting scopes, they are cheap to begin with and have been abused.  A Harbor Freight el cheapo scope works better than theirs.

If you save your brass, do not pick up anything over the red line while the range is hot.  You can only pick up brass that lands over the line during a cease fire.  After you check your targets, pick up brass before you cross the line and post a red flag. or is it green flag?  fuck, whatever.  Just pick up brass on the pad and on the dirt at the appropriate times.

EDIT:  You can shoot water filled containers.  Seeing them explode at 200 yds is a real hoot.  You can't shot soda bottles filled with soda, you can shoot a soda bottle you refilled with water.  They are real strict with food targets, especially sugar.  They wouldn't even let me shoot peeps bunny rabbits on a kebab stick.

Awesome stuff Scorpio64!  I really appreciate the response. Im a little apprehensive of that first trip and not knowing what to do or not to do. This is a help for sure...

Ron

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Defintily a help and appreciate the quick responses.

Whats everyone do for chamber flags? Just buy their 6 bright yellow zipties for a buck? Or is there something better out there or something just as easy to make.

Anyone go there on a regular occasion? or any NJGF informal meetups there?

Ron

Just now, eyeinstine said:

Whats everyone do for chamber flags? Just buy their 6 bright yellow zipties for a buck? Or is there something better out there or something just as easy to make.

You can buy fancy chamber flags but their zip tie flags are just fine.  I prefer the zip tie flags because I store most of my firearms flagged.  They are cheap and the flexibility lets me close the action most of the way or all the way on many of my rifles and shotguns.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Defintily a help and appreciate the quick responses.

Anyone go through on a regular occasion? or any NJGF informal meetups there?

I've been struggling to find a nice weekend when I'm not busy to go. Usually try for 8-9 AM arrival time cause it can get crowded.

Still need to get some chronograph time in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, voyager9 said:

I don’t mind their targets. They’re fine for single use and you can throw adhesive ones on top of the cardboard.  For what, $4 each, they are what they are.  

We use their targets too, and just staple splatter targets on top.

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

Im a little apprehensive of that first trip and not knowing what to do or not to do. This is a help for sure...

Ha... don't worry, if you make a minor mistake, the tower Nazi will "remind" you, we've all been there... that's why he makes the big bucks! :yahoo:

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

Just buy theirs, it's also probably easier for the RO when he's checking the line, it's what he's use to looking for, versus some abnormal flag.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Those signs you see all over, on the sides of highways, the going out of business sale, I buy junk cars, political signs etc., they are made of coroplast, and make great target stands, especially if you hunt small game.

I second using those signs. I would just staple my target to the coroplast. It was always windy when I shot R14 and those signs would just wave nicely. I went through the trouble of making a pvc target stand, one day got it all set up just to have it blow over once the range went hot. Had to wait 20 minutes for the cease fire.  While waiting looked over to the guy next to me with his targets all set up on those wire based signs and that was all it took.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dajonga said:

I picked up a gardening auger bit for my cordless drill. It makes digging holes for posts super easy and fast.

Hmm..  There's a good chance that we've crossed paths at R-14.  It was last year, but I distinctly recall watching a guy in the lane next to me punching holes in the ground with a bulb auger.

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Hmm..  There's a good chance that we've crossed paths at R-14.  It was last year, but I distinctly recall watching a guy in the lane next to me punching holes in the ground with a bulb auger.

If  the guy next to was driving a red silverado it was me.

e.

54 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If he was super good looking and shot sub MOA groups...that was me!

• Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, eyeinstine said:

Anyone go there on a regular occasion? or any NJGF informal meetups there?

Ron

I'm sure anyone that' been there has bought those zip ties for flags. Another option is a whole roll of weed whacker string. Cut to lenght and put wire nuts on one end. Just make sure the wire nuts are large enough so they don't fall into the chamber. 

One more thing when the cease fire IS called. If you are fast going down range to swap targets etc then also take the empty mags off the table and keep some ammo in the trunk or car so you can load the mags while waiting for the others.....Yes also reverse into your spot to make it easier to unload and load too. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Last time I went, there was an army guy in the next lane shooting a Barrett 50.  That was fun.  I only got one shot, but it was a treat at $5 a pop.

50 BMG ammo runs about $3/rd now.  A real bargain.

Im way past due for a range day and my first trip to R14 after joining a few weeks ago. Pretty sad its 10 minutes down the road and i cant find any time to get there...

On another note, anyone use a inexpensive bench rest for signting in purposes?

I was looking at the sand bag type, or maybe this.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Adjustable-Ambidextrous-Shotgun-Shooting/dp/B000VZ1IJG/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bench+rest&qid=1576438311&sr=8-8

Opinions?

Ron

When I shoot long guns, which is seldom anymore, I have the one-hole disease and I use this front rest...

440907.jpg?sw=2000&sh=2000

Caldwell Rock BR with a rabbit-ear rear bag.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Anyone know if/what the age restriction is at Range 14? looked over the rules and dont see it mentioned. I assume no issues then with teenage sons/daughters coming along and shooting??

I see wednesdays hours are until 8pm. i assume there must be outdoor lighting on the range??

2 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

Anyone know if/what the age restriction is at Range 14? looked over the rules and dont see it mentioned. I assume no issues then with teenage sons/daughters coming along and shooting??

I see wednesdays hours are until 8pm. i assume there must be outdoor lighting on the range??

There is lighting. Not sure if age limit. I know I’ve seen younger folks there before.