david8613

How do purchase a gun out of state?

How do you purchase a gun out of state?  I'm looking to buy a gun, looking locally but also on gun broker, armslist and others sites. I am wondering how do you make a purchase with out being scammed? I know everything has to go through an ffl, but I don't think that will protect you? Just want to safe if I go that route. 

If a new gun it's pretty easy if you know exactly what you are looking for. Used gun a little more tricky but either way,

ALWAYS look at the feedback!  Never buy from anyone with no, very little or poor feedback!

Good luck!

You sign up on Gunbroker and then either bid or buy outright.  You will need to have a local FFL on "retainer".  The FFL will usually Email a copy of his or her FFL license to the seller you found online.   You should have this sorted out ahead of time.  The local FFL will charge you a fee and NIcs  charge which you will have to pay when you go and pickup and complete all necessary paperwork, included Pistol Permit if need be. Upon winning the deal you are required to make payment including the amount for the item and shipping fees to the online seller. Taxes will be collected if applicable.  Some vendors or online dealers charge an additional credit card fee which is usually a percentage.  I am sure that the other sites and online dealers such as Bud's Gun Shop or Grad-a-Gun work similarly to Gunbroker.  Be mindful of what you purchase and what is NJ legal including features and mags, etc.  Many online entities may not sell to NJ citizens, or they may remove certain things like standard-capacity magazines and you won't be reimbursed for them or allowed to dictate where they are sent.  .  

3 hours ago, david8613 said:

How do you purchase a gun out of state?  I'm looking to buy a gun, looking locally but also on gun broker, armslist and others sites. I am wondering how do you make a purchase with out being scammed? I know everything has to go through an ffl, but I don't think that will protect you? Just want to safe if I go that route. 

Handgun or long gun?

You can go and buy a long gun out of state and pick it up there.  You need to have pistols shipped though to NJ FFL.

As far as being scammed... always a risk buying sight unseen unless it is guaranteed new in box or you know exactly what you are looking at used.  Look at feedback, reviews, google them.  Better yet if you know what you want, message a few vendors and see if they have it used.

Personally, I only bought like 2 or 3 guns sight unseen that were not new.  And in all of those cases it is a "fair" to worse condition than pics represented.

In person, you can see it, feel it, and in many cases shoot it before committing to it.

Do you know what you are looking to get?

13 hours ago, Maksim said:

Handgun or long gun?

You can go and buy a long gun out of state and pick it up there.  You need to have pistols shipped though to NJ FFL.

As far as being scammed... always a risk buying sight unseen unless it is guaranteed new in box or you know exactly what you are looking at used.  Look at feedback, reviews, google them.  Better yet if you know what you want, message a few vendors and see if they have it used.

Personally, I only bought like 2 or 3 guns sight unseen that were not new.  And in all of those cases it is a "fair" to worse condition than pics represented.

In person, you can see it, feel it, and in many cases shoot it before committing to it.

Do you know what you are looking to get?

And a lot of times if you purchase new it can still be dinged up, etc.  A while back when I went into a sports store in Ledgewood, NJ, I noticed that many of the firearms on display were dinged all up.  That may occur when buying on line, too, as those firearms might have been on display.  

I wouldn't bother buying online unless it is something new (and you can ask questions ahead of time of condition, etc.), or something that you really want and just cannot find it locally, or lastly, if you can get it at a steal-of-deal price used or new and realize that you might be getting what you paid for.  I have always had very good luck buying used online, but would rather choose someone with good reviews..  In fact, i have purchased locally using Gunbroker, etc. and have had the vendors in shock when showing up to pickup.  I assume they would have to fork it over to you UNLESS the wording says that it cannot be picked up in person.  in fact, I had one local vendor from which I won the bid on it at a very low price tell me it was no longer available when it was in fact in his display case for sale in front of me with an asking price much higher than my bid.  Maybe he didn't want to let it go for the price that I had won it at (but he set the minimum), or was not happy that he wasn't getting the additional shipping fees or that I had been the ONLY bidder.  

I recently bought a used RIA 1911 from a FFL(Texas) through Gunbroker. The guy was highly rated and I must say the transaction went well. I still haven't been able to take it home from my FFL here due OGAM but I have handled it and it was just as stated in the description. I got what I thought was a decent deal and  I would be willing to try it again for the right opportunity.