david8613

Recommend red dot for a hand gun

I'm in market for either a gun with an optic already installed or I might just buy an optic ready gun and just get my own red dot. What red dots do you recommend and have experience with? Should I skip the more affordable vortex, and Burris red dots and just go with a trijicon rmr? What size dot should I go with? Are any with auto wake up? I just want something super dependable and functions well.

Found this, but I would like to hear from personal experience.

https://www.shootingandsafety.com/best-pistol-red-dot-sights-reviews/

• Disagree 1

I have the Burris Fastfire 3 on my Beretta 92. Love it! A bit to get used to looking for the dot, but it has helped my shooting alot. I shoot at least once a week and have had the same battery in it for 2 1/2 years now. If I was gonna do it again I'd look at something with it built in as the FF does sit a bit high on the slide. You have to get an adapter plate for what ever hand gun you want to put it on. Just a note...On my 92 the plate inserts in the dove tail where the rear sight was. You can use it like that but I opted to have the slide drilled and tapped so the plate can't move. 

I have a Trijicon RMR which is a fantastic optic but if it's an awful lot of money...I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

I had a Deltapoint Pro which I liked how it turned itself on by sensing motion but it was too tall to use supressor height sights so you need to use Deltapoint's add-on rear sight if you want to cowitness

I had a Vortex Viper but I didn't like that it turned itself off after a while. But it was the most affordable if you just want it for gun games

• Like 1

Just put a 6moa Vortex Venom on a G17mos gen 5. Dawson suppressor sights to co- witness. I’ve only had it out to the range twice, but I’m happy with it....

I plan I’m using it for local Steel Challenge matches. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nucrunner said:

Just put a 6moa Vortex Venom on a G17mos gen 5. Dawson suppressor sights to co- witness. I’ve only had it out to the range twice, but I’m happy with it....

I plan I’m using it for local Steel Challenge matches. 

Sounds like a nice set up.

Personally, my “A” answer is the Trijicon RMRO6 Gen 2. Proven reliable and long battery life, many mounting options, and lots of holster choices. 

The new Trijicon SRO looks promising and the Aimpoint ACRO looks to be a viable candidate even if it looks like a toaster. But they are relatively new and I am not a fan of being an early adopter or a free beta-tester. They are the ones to watch though. I think they will be the standard in a few years.

The Delta Point Pro has good reviews in the competition circles, but I don’t know many people that put them on social guns.

I don’t have any time on the Holosun 507c but I haven’t heard anything bad about it. I know a couple people swear by them. Having the same mounting footprint as the Trijicon RMR is a huge plus. Plus it fits into any of the holsters that the RMR will fit in.

• Like 2

Having invested in 14 RMRs, they are they only option right now for a Slide mounted RDS.  They Titanium series of Holosun is supposed to be really good but I don't have any experience with it.  Spend the money, the RMR is worth every penny.IMG_20180909_091729.thumb.jpg.5d6cfcf508d338e07c3351a94694634e.jpgIMG_20180712_194329.thumb.jpg.82ecd1f786e8f6aa5e17aa4ac8511426.jpgIMG_20180701_110146.thumb.jpg.3940aec277fdbcbf7a1975ace737064e.jpgIMG_20181221_174359.thumb.jpg.2dd6bca197872e7c92f17e42f1d0e8ca.jpg

Some of the gang

• Like 1

I do not have a pistol that can hold a mdrs - yet - .... But getting there. I've always been an Aimpoint and Trijicon fan and Vortex as well.

I have astigmatism and quite a lot of us has. Every sight I have and tested has the typical dot blur or comma. Drives me nuts. My Aimpoints are great but I have to constantly adjust them for different light sources to as dim as possible to get that decent red dot.

Lately, I have wanted to add another red dot to my Saint Victor 5.56 Pistol. I tried 2 new dots. The new Vortex UH1 which is built like a tank and the Holosun 510C.... The UH1 was the first of their series that used a real laser as their light source. I assumed that because lasers are suppose to be much more sharper than an average led, it would be great. Not so much. It was the worse of the worse and after much reading, everyone said that it was a common problem with laser style holographic red dots. It was terrible. Pixalated, blurry, etc., even with my glasses on. Called Vortex and they checked it out and said it was fine so back to the store.

This brings me to the Holosun vs the mentioned. This sight is awesome. Not only is it clear with my glasses on but its also clear without them. This blew me away. After many removals and remounting, it held zero. I like the fact that it has a lot of features like solar power and long battery life. With all its options, it made a way into my collection. I can't say anything bad about it. So if your eyes are perfect, can't knock the aforementioned. If your eyes suck, try the Holosun.

So to make a long story short. Give it a try. It will be the first thing I try on my next pistol. :)

When we switch to the new Glocks (47), I’m going with Trijicon. Unsure which, but going to be one of theirs. Why? Because it will be approved and the quality is what I’d look for. Other option I believe was Leupold... and while I like their glass, the red-dot really didn’t impress me.

Until then, I’m shooting the H&K P2000 (my class got the last batch of new guns, which is sad since it will be destroyed within the next year). Trying to get my port to allow me to take the weapon light training (6 hours instruction), so I can at least be able to switch that over somewhat easily. Thinking the red-dot will be another class when the Glocks start making it into holsters... so want to get ahead a little bit.

not on a pistol but on a carbine I have experience with both the delta point and RMR.... they are both solid reliable optics from my experience.. one note.. I had the green reticle RMR which is self powered.. this is IMO a no go on a SD gun.. the reticle would get washed out with a weapon light.. you won't experience that with the LED variety.. 

On 5/15/2019 at 8:27 PM, Bully said:

All the MRDS work well.  Until they don't.  If you're gonna run the gun, like actually run the gun, get the dot with the best customer service.  

I have one of these available ($80) BNIB And Bully is 10000% correct they will all fail at some point!

NcStar has a no questions asked- replacement warranty for Life!Plus it trns on only when popped up.

I have a universal mounting plate also

VDFLIPGLO-1.jpg

Capture.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 8.32.26 PM.png

3 hours ago, Downtownv said:

I have one of these available ($80) BNIB And Bully is 10000% correct they will all fail at some point!

NcStar has a no questions asked- replacement warranty for Life!Plus it trns on only when popped up.

I have a universal mounting plate also

VDFLIPGLO-1.jpg

Capture.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 8.32.26 PM.png

VDBSOLFLIP-03.jpg

VDBSOLFLIP-04.jpg

VDBSOLFLIP-01.jpg

Yes.  They all will fail at some point.  NcStar almost with certain after a round.  The Trijicon RMR, I have 14 of them on all.different handguns and NONE have failed yet.  Some guns have several thousands of rounds through them and not one issue.  Save that $80 for something good.  Not NcStar

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, blksheep said:

Yes.  They all will fail at some point.  NcStar almost with certain after a round.  The Trijicon RMR, I have 14 of them on all.different handguns and NONE have failed yet.  Some guns have several thousands of rounds through them and not one issue.  Save that $80 for something good.  Not NcStar

I have run Aimpoints and Trijicons.. Leupold as well.. I have LITERALLY never experienced a failure.. or anything I would even consider close to a failure.. yes.. they are 400.. 500.. and 600 dollar optics.. but there is a reason they are they expensive.. and part of that reason is build quality.. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, david8613 said:

I have a holosun 507c on it's way to me, should have it this week. I'm still contemplating what gun I'm going to put it on. It's either going on a glock 45 mos or cz p10c optics ready. 

There's also the P10F if you're looking for something bigger.

The p10f looks good I didnt get a chance to grip that one, the compact I did and it felt really nice. I would have to get those 19 round mag blocked, I dont think they have a 10 round mag version on the p10f. Jersey sucks! Can you imagine 19 rounds on tap! 

8 minutes ago, david8613 said:

I ordered a cz p10c suopressor ready its ready for pick up and I have holosun 507c ready to slap on her just gotta get slide milled.

I'm gonna risk going the factory optics ready route. Not sure if I want to married to one optic just yet.