SJG

1911 Upgrade Options

Not many. I would say that a mag well funnel and some quality magazines (Wilson or Tripp) would be about it. Maybe a nice set of G-10 grips in the pattern and color of your choice.

This isn't the 80's where you bought a 1911 as a starting point and had to do everything to it - most 1911's sold these days are already upgraded to standards unthought of in the 80's.

Mags can be tricky. I have Wilson's for my STI 1911 9mm and they work fine. Not so much for some people. Tripp's seem to work universally well, but I only have anecdotal evidence of that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

36 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Or buy a better 1911

Unless you are buying a true custom 1911 where you decide from the beginning what parts you want from top to bottom you won’t need to change anything. However if it’s off the shelf 1911 or a Range Officer like the OP has most people will change out some parts. There is a reason why places like brownells has so many different parts for sale. No one wants a stock gun.

• Agree 1

Skateboard tape on the front strap and reliable mags from Tripp or wilson to start. Buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo. Shoot that. Then figure out from there what you want to upgrade. At that point, you will have a better idea what YOU want done.