Maksim

Sightmark Citadel 5-30x56 Front Focal Plane Scope & Why It Is NOT in the Precision Rifle Series

As some of you may know, I was recently flown out to a media event in Texas where I had a chance to shoot some new Ruger rifles at 2,000 yards plus.   This re-ignited a bug and started working on a budget series for long range shooting, primarily 1,500 yards for $1,500 and 1,000 for $1,000.  While right now it is on the guns,  I think I will push it and try to do $1,500 and $1,000 including optics.

While my main scope is the Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25,  I gave the Sightmark Citadel 5-30x56 a shot for its $500 price point for a Mil Dot front focal plane reticle, particularly as I was quite a fan of the Rapid AR series and the Wolfhound prismatic sights.  

The Citadel, while it accomplishes what it is supposed to with fairly good glass, did have some nagging operational issues.

Video premier tonight at 9PM.  Like and share the video, subscribe if you have not already done so and comment.  One person on the premier and one over the next 24 hours will get a goody from a sponsor.

7 hours ago, Bully said:

Got enough pillows and padding?  :crazy:

For that gun? Lol. It was one of two that day.  Also had a TC LRR, all in about 100 rounds of 308.  The TC LRR with brake was not bad, the Howa without a brake was letting me know I was alive for sure.  Left my recoil pad that I got at the long distance class at home.  Won’t make that mistake.  Or will drag out friends with cans.

Also.  A Christmas tree reticle its called.  I wouldnt by another long distance scope without zero stop.  Definitely up the price alot.  But well worth it if you’re going to be in over 1500.  Burris makes a decent one for around 1200.  The xtr.  Maks.  Do some grip strengthening exer:Dcises. Good overall though.  Correct your body while prone.  Be behind the gun.  Not off to the side.  Thats why its kicking so bad.  Thanks for the view.  

6 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Also.  A Christmas tree reticle its called.  I wouldnt by another long distance scope without zero stop.  Definitely up the price alot.  But well worth it if you’re going to be in over 1500.  Burris makes a decent one for around 1200.  The xtr.  Maks.  Do some grip strengthening exer:Dcises. Good overall though.  Correct your body while prone.  Be behind the gun.  Not off to the side.  Thats why its kicking so bad.  Thanks for the view.  

Thanks.  Yes, another one of those brain farts. =P  

Have a Mark 5 HD that I shot out to 2,300 and really like it.  Will check Burris but looks like have a Nikon Black FFP coming in.

The grip am playing around with, getting used to it.  Was not a fan of the one on Howa, even still, was down to half MOA.  Yes on the off to the side. noticed that.  That footage was mostly towards end of a few boxes with frustrating experience with the LRR... (more on that later)... and hte brake realllly makes the difference. 

My main goal there that day was to scout out the range (first time there), take a look at the Sightmark and chrono some loads to get a baseline.

I do know I have a tendency to crush the trigger if I am not paying attention or "shooting for score" but apparently that did not make an impact until around 1400 yards while at FTW.  

Come out with me next time. =P Always appreciate the feedback.  Tough to check out of hte mental game of "shoot as fast as you can without missing" to "take your time, work on your house, pay attention to trigger, etc"

Although they were surprised when I crushed the target transition drills of the mock "sandbox city" with targets from 350 to 800.   Was fixed time, shoot as many as you can in 30 seconds. Got 10 on 10 shots.