1LtCAP

Thin blue line

my blue line flags are finally fading enough that i'm gonna order a couple new ones. but...…….when I take the faded ones down to retire them, do I retire them the same as old glory? that's what it feels like I should do, but i'm not sure...….

Still represents our country. I use to bring them to the AL where they had a mailbox for a flag drop box. I never would just toss a flag in the trash!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bhunted said:

Still represents our country. I use to bring them to the AL where they had a mailbox for a flag drop box. I never would just toss a flag in the trash!

I agree with that based on the symbolism, so I would suggest contact the Boy Scouts or the A.L. to see who can handle the correct disposal.

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

I must have failed civics because that doesn't look like any official US flag I've ever seen.

What makes it "official"? Can you only buy a US flag in D.C. at the White House store?

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

Well red white and blue for a start

Like all these?

flags.jpg

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

Click under specifications.

OK, here they are:

..." These specifications are contained in an executive order which, strictly speaking, governs only flags made for or by the U.S. federal government.[67] In practice, most U.S. national flags available for sale to the public have a different width-to-height ratio; "

..." As with the design, the official colors are only officially required for flags produced for the U.S. federal government, and other colors are often used for mass-market flags, printed reproductions, and other products intended to evoke flag colors. "

Doesn't sound like there's a "official" specification for public use, does it?

Yeah.  Its a patch. Not a flag.  Try to put that on a flag pole:moon:

The boy scouts burn the flags at a ceremony to retire them.  Maybe ask the boy scouts what an official flag is. 

Executive order  10834 of 1959 clearly explains the flag colors.  

I'm a former Boy Scout Charter Organization Representative (C.O.R.) with almost 20 years in & around the scouting program.  Our Troop would accept ANY flag that has THE stars & stripes on it for proper retirement & burial.  And YES, that includes "Blue Line" US Flags! 

The Elks actually publish the complete written set of rules covering flag etiquette.  Published long ago, they're not "up-to-speed" with "Blue Line" US Flags with the stars & stripes, as no mention currently exists.  

Yes, it's a personal decision AT THIS TIME.  But everyone here ask yourselves a question:  Does the Blue Line flag symbolize everything good about this country, AND recognize the fallen who have died on the line for us?  If you answer in the affirmative, IT'S A FLAG and needs to be retired with DIGNITY the same as every other!

STOP picking at nits & just DO THE RIGHT THING and SET AN EXAMPLE for our youth!

Rosey

Sacred Heart Church Troop #95 Charter Organization Representative (C.O.R.)

Central Jersey Scout Council (now Monmouth Council)

P.S.:  Flag Day is June 14th.  OBR&PC is collecting flags to be retired.  Retirement Ceremony to take place at:

Old Bridge American Legion Post 177 

17 Emerson Street, East Brunswick, NJ  08816

In years past, the .22 Youth League at Old Bridge R&P would collect un-serviceable flags and transport them to their retirement HERE.  After a somber ceremony and a dousing by East Brunswick Fire Co., the ashes were later buried off-site.  Then all in attendance were invited to stay for burgers & dogs courtesy of the Post.

I know all of this because MY SON & I WERE THERE!  

I could make a call or two and find out if they're having it this year...just give the word!

Image may contain: fire and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, sky, house, basketball court and outdoor

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

This is the OFFICIAL subdued US flag worn by US troops.  It is clearly NOT red white and blue, but somehow, it's an official flag.

odflag__85046.1404139378.1280.1280.jpg?c

giphy.gif

A swing and a bad miss.

Again, if it makes ya'll feel good to call that piece of cloth  a US flag, ya'll go ahead but we all know it ain't. It's a flag, just not a US flag.

38 minutes ago, WP22 said:

It's a flag, just not a US flag.

If it's not a US flag, what flag is it then?

Is it the flag of Russia? Nooooo

Is it the flag of Peru? noooooooo.

Is it a black panther flag? noooooo

Is it a Nazi flag? nooooooo...

You agree that it is, in fact, a flag, but not a US flag.  Since you are the apparent SME here, what flag is it then?  Are our troops wearing a flag that does not represent the USA?  OMG, I'm going to write a letter to the DoD post haste and give them what for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, remixer said:

Did the Op get his question answered :)

i think so. i was leaning towards checking with the boyscout troop up the street from my house(literally 300 yards away), then read roseys reply. now i am going to ask them, based on :::::: But everyone here ask yourselves a question:  Does the Blue Line flag symbolize everything good about this country, AND recognize the fallen who have died on the line for us?  If you answer in the affirmative, IT'S A FLAG and needs to be retired with DIGNITY the same as every other ::::::::::::

because that's why i fly it alongside the stars n stripes. i don't fly it 'cause i think it's pretty, but for a reason. so i guess it needs to be retired properly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2