Karatenurse

NICS and FLA Carry permit

I learned the hard way with NJ 1 hand gun a month law, do not do your FLA Carry permit renewal within 30 days of buying a hand gun. The Dpt of Agriculture uses the FLA firearms purchasing Dept. to run your background check and since I purchased a hand gun on Apr. 16 they ran my NICS check to see if I was able to legally buy a hand gun on May 9 and it came back denied. So now I have to send them a copy of my NJ FID and show them I just purchased a hand gun back in Apr. and passed a NICS check then. They then will forward my clearance to the DPT. of Agriculture. What a process, if I had known they do that I would have waited a couple of weeks to do the online renewal. Lesson learned. 

• Informative 1

I found out FLA runs the nics check as if I was going to buy a hand gun! This determines that I am able to legally own a hand gun which they forward to DEPT of Agriculture for issuance of a concealed weapon or firearm license.  Since I bought a hand gun on Apr. 16, 2019 they ran the check on May 9 and denied me because of the 30 day window. That is how it all came about. Very confusing it is, however after calling the Dept of Agriculture they asked that I forward my NJ FID and copy of recent hand gun purchase permit as well as my current FLA concealed carry permit number and this should clear things up.

I pretty much pick up a handgun every month.

I applied for FLA renewal at the end of March.  I haven’t heard anything. Haven’t gotten a denial or approval.

I picked up a pistol on March 17 and April 18 and applied for FLA renewal in 3/25.

lets see what happens 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gunnz said:

I pretty much pick up a handgun every month.

I applied for FLA renewal at the end of March.  I haven’t heard anything. Haven’t gotten a denial or approval.

I picked up a pistol on March 17 and April 18 and applied for FLA renewal in 3/25.

lets see what happens 

Hope it all works out for you! I did mine online and did not realize how fast the turn around time was for a response. I submitted it through the online portal around the same time I purchased my hand gun in April. The denial letter says the date was May 9.  See how it goes once they get my paper work I faxed to them.

1 minute ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Does Florida have a 30 day wait period? I’m just curious how an N.J. law somehow affects Florida. 

Its all about the NICs background check. Nothing else. Because I bought a hand gun on Apr. 16 here in NJ, FLA runs a NICs check to see if I can can legally buy a hand gun which being done within the 30 day window denied me. They use this information to forward to the Dept. of Agriculture who issues the concealed carry license in FLA.

2 minutes ago, Karatenurse said:

Its all about the NICs background check. Nothing else. Because I bought a hand gun on Apr. 16 here in NJ, FLA runs a NICs check to see if I can can legally buy a hand gun which being done within the 30 day window denied me. They use this information to forward to the Dept. of Agriculture who issues the concealed carry license in FLA.

Thanks for the explanation. I’m assuming even though they are running it it still shows your an N.J. resident and at that particular time you’re not eligible because of the 30day.

Was just curious because I just finished a class for Florida CC and was about to apply. 

3 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Thanks for the explanation. I’m assuming even though they are running it it still shows your an N.J. resident and at that particular time you’re not eligible because of the 30day.

Was just curious because I just finished a class for Florida CC and was about to apply. 

Correct, that is why the denial came through making it look like I can not have a firearm. So that is why I faxed my NJ FID and a copy of my current Concealed carry permit along with last months purchase permit to show I can legally own a firearm. This should clear up the matter I hope.

NJ is a POC (Point of Contact state) so FL must be running the NICS check through the NJ system in order for you to be denied. The Federal system would have no idea of NJ's OGAM.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pizza Bob said:

NJ is a POC (Point of Contact state) so FL must be running the NICS check through the NJ system in order for you to be denied. The Federal system would have no idea of NJ's OGAM.

That would make sense then. Running it through the home state of the applicant would seem logical.

Looks like I am going to be in the same boat.

picked up pistol in NJ 3/17

picked up pistol in NJ 4/18

Applied for FLA renewal on 3/23.

checked my status online, and says on 5/13 they sent me a detailed letter saying my application is incomplete.

must be due to the same issue.

cant wait for the letter. 

What paperwork did you provide to FLA to clear it up?

6 minutes ago, Gunnz said:

checked my status online, and says on 5/13 they sent me a detailed letter saying my application is incomplete.

I faxed over to the Dept. of Agriculture a copy of my NJ FID and my pistol permit from my last purchase as well as my current Concealed carry permit ID number. I also, just to cover myself mailed out the same paper work to the FLA firearms purchasing division because they are the ones who ran the check with letter of explanation. This was from the information that was mailed back to me. They give you to appeal to either one of the departments. I figure it safe to clarify my situation to both.

Although there is a $15 late fee, you can apply for a FLA Concealed Carry renewal for up to 6 months after it expires.  If you are having troubles with OGAM take a breather and apply when you know it is OK.  I am sure it is some BS with how NJ provides info to FL, and good luck correcting our end of that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Karatenurse said:

This makes perfect sense.  I never knew that, or even thought about it.  Thanks for posting it. 

None of this makes sense. What does a carry permit have to do with purchasing?

Does FL think it will exempt you from NICS in NJ?

What if the NJ dealer had run NICS for a long gun purchase. Would FL deny you?

Better yet, what if the NICS was ran for a handgun, then you changed your mind and never took possession? 

But what do I know. FL is getting just as bad as NJ.

5 hours ago, Karatenurse said:

I faxed over to the Dept. of Agriculture a copy of my NJ FID and my pistol permit from my last purchase as well as my current Concealed carry permit ID number. I also, just to cover myself mailed out the same paper work to the FLA firearms purchasing division because they are the ones who ran the check with letter of explanation. This was from the information that was mailed back to me. They give you to appeal to either one of the departments. I figure it safe to clarify my situation to both.

They said sending this information in will be sufficient for approval?

6 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Correct, this is why I am scratching my head... WTF would a Florida NICS check have to do with a NJ background check unless they ran it through NJ?

FL can run their own checks like they do at any time for rifles, etc. Really weird. 

7 hours ago, remixer said:

Im confused by this entire thing.

How does FLA running a nics check have anything to do with Running in Nics check in NJ?

Don’t worry Steve, I’m think I’m caught in this situation too.

Pure speculation, but when FL went to do a NICS check (just to make sure they are not a prohibited person), and NICS found the person to be a resident of a POC state, they were probably directed to run it through the NJ system. Since he had purchased a handgun less than 30 days ago, it came back with a denial, which FL would interpret as he is a prohibited person.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

3 hours ago, Gunnz said:

They said sending this information in will be sufficient for approval?

After calling the phone number on the paperwork sent to me and speaking to someone from the Dept of Agriculture this should be good enough! Of course I sent along a letter of explanation of how NJ 1 hand gun a month law may have triggered the denial to begin with. So this should help resolve the matter as far as me not being able to legally possess a gun which is what came back.

9 minutes ago, Karatenurse said:

After calling the phone number on the paperwork sent to me and speaking to someone from the Dept of Agriculture this should be good enough! Of course I sent along a letter of explanation of how NJ 1 hand gun a month law may have triggered the denial to begin with. So this should help resolve the matter as far as me not being able to legally possess a gun which is what came back.

My status online doesn’t say denial, it says incomplete.

maybe they didn’t like my passport photo.

but like you, my NICS might have effected it.

should get the letter tomorrow or Thursday 

On 5/14/2019 at 12:28 PM, Underdog said:

Although there is a $15 late fee, you can apply for a FLA Concealed Carry renewal for up to 6 months after it expires.  If you are having troubles with OGAM take a breather and apply when you know it is OK.  I am sure it is some BS with how NJ provides info to FL, and good luck correcting our end of that.

Gonna wait a month then... just picked up a pistol.. and yeah I do have to renew my FL.

Got my letter from Florida today.

even though I am in the same boat at OP, my letter said I was missing my fingerprint card.  I did submit it online, but guess it didn’t attach properly or maybe it wasn’t clear.

Guess I am just gonna mail the card in and see what happens.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:44 AM, 0Jeep4 said:

Does Florida have a 30 day wait period? I’m just curious how an N.J. law somehow affects Florida. 

Having moved from Jersey to Florida, no OGAM or permission slip to buy anything.

0 waiting period with a CWP. 3 day without.

Kinda hard on the wallet making all those impulse buys when I see something on sale, also nice to pick up non neutered rifles. just wish that Hearing Protection Act would get going to get rid of that $200 tax stamp and hassle  of getting it.  It would quiet down most of the northerners who move into the rural arras that cry about it sounding like a war zone from all the backyard ranges.

Also wish they would check their politics at the border.

• Agree 1

On 5/14/2019 at 11:11 AM, Gunnz said:

I think I got lucky with the NICS issue...

definitely would have been in same situation as OP.

I did upload my fingerprint card, which they claim was missing.

since my fingerprints were missing, I doubt they ran a NICS check. My NJ OGAM is up today. 

I sent in actual fingerprint card Thursday and it will arrive tomorrow. 

Though I have a pistol waiting and I am ready to pick up, I am gonna wait a few weeks to make sure I get approved by Florida in the meantime.

Like I stated above, I was worried I would be in the same situation as OP.

I talked to someone today about my CCW status, and they said my background check is pending through the FBI.

They said they at no time check with NJ