WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

D-Day Squadron C-47 Dakota Flyover - May 18th

Squadron of C-47 Dakotas are gathering at an airport in Oxford, CT now before flying over to Europe for the 75th anniversary D-Day festivities.

They will flyover the Statue of Liberty this Saturday May 18th.  Thinking Liberty State Park in JC should be prime viewing for any old warbird fans.

http://ddaysquadron.org/d-day-squadron-launch-week/

IMG_0288_1.jpg

6ce16f33-f3ef-43e5-aee5-c492e525f2c0-678

TS_ATC_Route_Map.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

pictures when it happens please!

without google, does anyone know why those stripes were painted on our aircraft? or that they were hand painted in a big hurry?

They were called "invasion stripes" used to identify Allied aircraft during the Invasion of Normandy.  Approval to do so came just weeks before the invasion.  Lots of planes to paint them on in a short time.

The Invasion of Sicily resulted in a lot of Allied planes shot down by friendly fire.  Many paratroopers were lost after their planes were shot down.

Something bigger than the national insignia was needed to ID aircraft.  Someone came up with the idea of invasion stripes.

It worked.

• Thanks 1

Sadly I'm missing this event, due to the fact my flying club is having one of their plane washes and it's kind of a mandatory event, especially since "That's All Brother" has finally been restored properly. Would love to be there in Normandy when they do their mass air drop for the 75th Anniversary. Best I can do is see if I can make it out to Reading's World War II weekend. If anyone ever wants to see a local C-47 that was actually at Normandy head out to the American Airpower Museum at Farmingdale Airport on Long Island.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, GRIZ said:

They were called "invasion stripes" used to identify Allied aircraft during the Invasion of Normandy.  Approval to do so came just weeks before the invasion.  Lots of planes to paint them on in a short time.

The Invasion of Sicily resulted in a lot of Allied planes shot down by friendly fire.  Many paratroopers were lost after their planes were shot down.

Something bigger than the national insignia was needed to ID aircraft.  Someone came up with the idea of invasion stripes.

It worked.

sonofabitch! I shoulda asked you to sit that one out, 'cause I knew you'd know that, lolololol

I find it quite surprising how many people didn't know that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, planenut said:

Sadly I'm missing this event, due to the fact my flying club is having one of their plane washes and it's kind of a mandatory event

My club’s plane wash was two weeks ago, so I’ll be up flying a shiny aircraft on Saturday.

Do you think anyone would notice if I joined the C-47 formation in a C-172?   I’m willing to paint on invasion stripes for the occasion  

On 5/16/2019 at 2:45 PM, GRIZ said:

It worked.

That’s really interesting. Thanks for that!

40 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

sonofabitch! I shoulda asked you to sit that one out, 'cause I knew you'd know that, lolololol

I find it quite surprising how many people didn't know that. 

There are some people who will tell you I was in the Army on June 6, 1944. Not so!  I found out about them from my uncle who had landed in Normandy on June 7, 1944.

The Allies had air superiority (actually just about air supremacy)  during the Normandy landings.  There were only about 100 German fighters in France as most had been moved back to Germany to deal with the Allied bombing campaign.  IIRC the only Luftwaffe presence overy the Normandy beaches was built Major "Pips" Priller who did one strafing run on the beaches with his wingman and returned to their airfield.

Many of these aircraft kept their "invasion stripes" right up to the end of the war in Europe.

I got to catch a couple of rides in C47s when I was in Vietnam.