ThisIsMyUsername

Newbie here, need help!

Hi, I’m filling out the application for initial firearms purchaser ID card / application to purchase a handgun printed off of the NJ state troopers website. The permit is essential to apply for a job with a private security firm, however I’m a bit.. stuck? I’ve got all the essentials (name, address, sex, etc.) written in but I’m at a bit of an impasse when it comes to the “two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant” AKA referrals.

I filled out a questionnaire for a friend of mine, but he refused to do the same for me so screw him, what are some other really good referrals I should have? For example, I’ve heard it’s necessary to be close (but not related) with the referral for the last few years, and a big plus if the referral also has a firearm permit, has been in law enforcement/military, so for my #1 I have my USMC recruiter I’m close with, he happily gave his info, but I need another one. 

After I get my second referral, what steps do I take? As this form will then be complete, I have also completed a consent for mental health records search form too. Do I then go to my local PD and hand in the forms, and eventually go wherever for fingerprinting?

County is Camden County

10 minutes ago, ThisIsMyUsername said:

For example, I’ve heard it’s necessary to be close (but not related) with the referral for the last few years, and a big plus if the referral also has a firearm permit, has been in law enforcement/military, so for my #1 I have my USMC recruiter I’m close with, he happily gave his info, but I need another one. 

Welcome.  

This honestly does not matter as I far as I aware of have seen, unless you have some issues.

In reality, the two references are there just to make sure you are not a dipshit, i.e. drug problems, mental problems, cannot be otherwise trusted with a gun.

Just wondering why your friend did not want to be your referral?

7 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Welcome.  

This honestly does not matter as I far as I aware of have seen, unless you have some issues.

In reality, the two references are there just to make sure you are not a dipshit, i.e. drug problems, mental problems, cannot be otherwise trusted with a gun. 

The references do not have to be long time acquaintances. it can be your gardner as long as he will vouch for you.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Maksim said:

Welcome.  

Thank you! Glad I found this website.

That’s good news, I have no mental or physical issues so I should be fine with all the background checks and other vetting.

My friend has been wanting to go into law enforcement for years, possibly to become a state trooper so in his eyes putting his name on a firearm application for a friend looks bad. It’s a huge dick move considering I vouched for him as I’ve known him nearly all my life but he apparently doesn’t feel the need to return the favor. If the references don’t matter nearly as much as I’ve been told, I’m sure I can easily find a replacement. Hell, I’m pretty sure my girlfriend’s step dad could vouch for me considering I’ve known him for 5 years and see him almost daily.

1 minute ago, remixer said:

The references do not have to be long time acquaintances. it can be your gardner as long as he will vouch for you.

Damn, wish I had a gardener! Haha but thanks for the clarification. So will my references get a phone call asking questions? When I vouched for my friend I was told to fill out some sort of questionnaire but I never received one, only a 3 minute phone call from our local Police Chief asking how well I knew my friend and if I felt he was responsible enough to own a firearm.

7 minutes ago, ThisIsMyUsername said:

Damn, wish I had a gardener! Haha but thanks for the clarification. So will my references get a phone call asking questions? When I vouched for my friend I was told to fill out some sort of questionnaire but I never received one, only a 3 minute phone call from our local Police Chief asking how well I knew my friend and if I felt he was responsible enough to own a firearm.

It really depends... Some towns call.. Some mail a letter and some use the new Online system with emails them the letter.

3 minutes ago, remixer said:

It really depends... Some towns call.. Some mail a letter and some use the new Online system with emails them the letter.

That should be a breeze then. So what’re my next steps after my second referral, talk to my local police chief and get fingerprinted? I also have no idea which pistol would be a good starter. Need to do more research.

1 minute ago, ThisIsMyUsername said:

That should be a breeze then. So what’re my next steps after my second referral, talk to my local police chief and get fingerprinted? I also have no idea which pistol would be a good starter. Need to do more research.

Sadly. The next step really depends on your town... Each town determines that.

In regards to a starter pistol.... There have been hundreds of threads on that topic... The best starter pistol depends on you. We can only give you suggestions.  The perfect pistol needs to fit your needs and hand.

You sound like you are doing this via hard copy.  The entire process can now be done on-line - except for fingerprinting and actually picking up your permit(s). Go here...

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS

and follow the directions.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

7 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

You sound like you are doing this via hard copy.  The entire process can now be done on-line - except for fingerprinting and actually picking up your permit(s). Go here...

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS

and follow the directions.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This is news to me, thanks Pizza Bob! One question though, does it *have* to be done online? For example if I have all the paperwork filled out and ready to go, is there any benefit of then doing it online instead? From the link you provided it sounds like I have to visit my PD anyways to get the ORI number either way.

19 minutes ago, remixer said:

Sadly. The next step really depends on your town... Each town determines that.

In regards to a starter pistol.... There have been hundreds of threads on that topic... The best starter pistol depends on you. We can only give you suggestions.  The perfect pistol needs to fit your needs and hand.

What attributes does one look for to find a good fit for them? Should I be looking at magazine capacity, weight, such other qualities each weapon has? It’s definitely going to be more difficult than picking out a pair of shoes.

Welcome to the forum.

Doing the application online should be your first choice - the online system generally gets you through the process faster and with less administrative hassles than paper.

As far as what gun to get - that’s like asking what car to get or what dog to get - everyone’s needs and wants are different.  Give us some more context about what you want in a handgun and we can make more focused suggestions.

Since you mentioned a USMC recruiter - if you’re going into the USMC then maybe you might want to consider the Sig Sauer P320-M17 as it’s the civilian version of the M17 that the USMC is going to.

18 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Welcome to the forum.

Doing the application online should be your first choice - the online system generally gets you through the process faster and with less administrative hassles than paper.

As far as what gun to get - that’s like asking what car to get or what dog to get - everyone’s needs and wants are different.  Give us some more context about what you want in a handgun and we can make more focused suggestions.

Since you mentioned a USMC recruiter - if you’re going into the USMC then maybe you might want to consider the Sig Sauer P320-M17 as it’s the civilian version of the M17 that the USMC is going to.

Thank you very much! 

Will make the switch to the online form, as I’ve heard depending on the department this process could take up to a max of like 5 months!

I’m not sure what to look for in a firearm to be frank. The majority of what I’ve seen has come straight through the abilities of the person holding the weapon, not so much the weapon’s attributes. After doing some quick research, the Sig Sauer P320-M17 seems like it would be a good fit! I was in the Corps from 2015-2016, I had gotten injured but have completely healed since. I’m looking to get back in, but need a basic income to maintain a few assets, so I figured the private sector would be a good place to start, GARDA specifically.

1 minute ago, DirtyDigz said:

For armed security work you might want to check with some of the companies that you might apply to (like Garda) to see if they have recommendations or requirements on what can be carried while on the job.

For sure, thanks for the tip! I might also need to get a CDL B license if they’re short on drivers as well.

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Welcome to the forum.

I like the M17,  We sold many of them... never an issue.

38 minutes ago, ThisIsMyUsername said:

For sure, thanks for the tip! I might also need to get a CDL B license if they’re short on drivers as well.

Some security companies also require a particular gun Ie glock 19 or 17 etc etc

i would look into that.... Some that do not require a certain gun will have requirements for the holster so you need to make sure that

gun can be outfitted with the required holster

2 hours ago, ThisIsMyUsername said:

Are the armored trucks greater than 26K pounds GVWR? You only need a CDL if the GVWR exceeds that (class 7).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

11 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Get a revolver.   Right Bob ?   Go old school.  Bob.  Did you happen to get my jacket at Somerset?  

Sorry, no. You should have told me on Sunday. You really expect this old codger to retain something you told me 4 weeks ago????

• Disagree 1

Another quick update, just got back from fingerprinting, at the end the person who took my prints told me to tell my police chief that fingerprinting is complete. I’ll make the phone call later today. Meanwhile, one of my references has filled out and submitted the questionnaire, still waiting on the other one to do it.