Underdog

Smith & Wesson M&P 9C and Hyve Products

The Smith & Wesson 2.0 Compacts are awesome.   I think Smith should release a 2.0 version of the venerable 9C with both sleeves for 2.0 Compact mags and the full size.  I would prefer it to be teh same slide length as the older one with the 3.5" barrel, but would be just as happy with one the same length as the 3.6 version of the 2.0 Compact.  I really like the versatility of being able to use the three different size magazines as well as many aftermarket products, and I believe that the older M&P doesn't really reach its potential until it has an APEX trigger installed and something like a Hyve +3 extension plate.   That plate makes it pretty awesome because it gives the 9C essentially the same grip length as the new 2.0s or a Glock 19.  And, although it is slightly longer in the front of the grip, it is actually shorter than the 2.0s in the rear, which makes it nice for concealment.   And, of course the 9C could utilize the flush grip plate with or without some pinky extensions and the use of the full-size magazines.  And, just as with the other M&Ps, maybe newer 9C stock might have an updated trigger in it which would largely alleviate an Apex trigger unless you want a more Glock-like style trigger. And, as far as breaking down, the M&Ps are almost as easy as Glocks, except for the need to remove the rear sight.  

I really like the Hyve products.  They work nicely on the Glock 43 and M&P Shield.  I am not a fan of the slippery texture or the gaudy colors or the emblem.  It is not quite as bad as the Lone Wolf one, but...  And, I wonder if Hyve could make aluminum sleeve adapters for the magazines that actually bolt on and attach securely.  

The M&P 9C is a perfectly balanced handgun and loses all of that top-heavy awkwardness with the use of the pricey  Hyve Extension.  It really makes a completely new gun.  It is perfect, no. Might rattle a little, etc., and for free America it would give 15 rounds on tap.  Some would find that the 9C would still have some problem with dropping mags freely and/or reloading and pinching your fingers, etc. but it really is neat and an upgraded version of the 9C, would be nice.  And there still isn't a viable way to use 2.0 Compact mags in the 9C as X-grip and others have not stepped up to the plate.   Lastly, for those carrying, they may not want the awesome grip texture on the newer M&P versions and might find the venerable 9C just the ticket.  I think the 9C in this configuration does circles around the Glock 26.  

it would be cool if Hyve made aluminum grip sleeves that bolt onto the magazines for Glocks and M&Ps that would enable the smaller guns to utilize the larger mags.   

As a side note, the Hyve +3 extenders work with ONLY the 12-round 9C magazines and a 2.0 Compact Mag Block 15 to 10  to give you a 10-round Kompliant NJ magazine.