124gr9mm

Sheepdog Warrior - long range steel 400+ yards

I took a trip to Sheepdog Warrior in Catskill NY this morning.  For anyone ion driving distance who's interested in long range shooting I'd recommend trying it out.

I had a fantastic time.  It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to get there but I would have been happy even if it was longer.  The Catskill's are beautiful this time of year so the scenery is great.

The range is off the beaten path but there are signs strategically placed so it's very easy to find.  It's by no means a modern facility but it's well maintained logically laid out.

The owners are extremely nice and accommodating.  Since it was my first time I had to fill out a simple waiver, but that was it.  Maryanne(?) explained the range and let me know about some upcoming events, then I grabbed my gear and walked to the port area.

There are about 10 ports with wooden benches that you can shoot from or move around if you want to shoot prone.  I was shooting from about 10:30  - 11:30 and in that time two other shooters showed up, so it was a busy morning

The targets were well painted and the ground around them was well cleared, so it was easy to get clear sight pictures.

It was my first time shooting past 300 yards, so i was a little like a kid in a candy shop.

I'll absolutely be going back.

WvyPQiIl.jpg

iNSDb8Il.jpg

tUMPaIFl.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CageFighter said:

whats the deal with Semi-auto AR type rifles in NY with the ban?   r we only limited to bolt action?

According to the SAFE ACT your NJ legal AR is NOT legal in NY

https://safeact.ny.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/RiflesBannedFeatures.pdf

https://safeact.ny.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/RiflesthatAREclassifiedasassaultweapons.pdf

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Awesome, how far did you push it and what were you shooting?

I was shooting a bolt rifle I put together at the end of last summer:

Howa 1500 24" heavy barrel in .308 WIN
Bell and Carlson Varmint stock
Primary Arms 4 - 14 FFP scope
Cheap bipod

I didn't have a rangefinder with me (doh!) so after 400 yards it was a bit of guess work (they have stations marked at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards).  I was able to walk out to targets and get hits a lot further than I expected, but well short of what a more experienced shooter would do.

I'm actually really happy that my budget build shoots straight and consistently.  I also used mostly my own reloads (168 gr SMK with 43.5 gr IMR 4064), so it's good to know that they were consistent as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I was shooting a bolt rifle I put together at the end of last summer:

Howa 1500 24" heavy barrel in .308 WIN
Bell and Carlson Varmint stock
Primary Arms 4 - 14 FFP scope
Cheap bipod

I didn't have a rangefinder with me (doh!) so after 400 yards it was a bit of guess work (they have stations marked at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards).  I was able to walk out to targets and get hits a lot further than I expected, but well short of what a more experienced shooter would do.

I'm actually really happy that my budget build shoots straight and consistently.  I also used mostly my own reloads (168 gr SMK with 43.5 gr IMR 4064), so it's good to know that they were consistent as well.

Cheap but good! 

The howa 1500 is a fantastic barreled action.  Not a fan of the flimsy safety but it sure shoots.  And they guarantee sub moa with match ammo. 

• Like 1

That place is wonderful. I was there last weekend. The owner made a few improvements over the winter. More target arrays, the lower range is a little wider and something simple that I really appreciated. On one of the IPSC targets at 1000 yards he has a light that stays on for a few seconds when you hit it. That’s a bonus when there are a bunch of shooters on the line and can’t see your splash or hear it because of all the background noise. 

34 minutes ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

That place is wonderful. I was there last weekend. The owner made a few improvements over the winter. More target arrays, the lower range is a little wider and something simple that I really appreciated. On one of the IPSC targets at 1000 yards he has a light that stays on for a few seconds when you hit it. That’s a bonus when there are a bunch of shooters on the line and can’t see your splash or hear it because of all the background noise. 

Is it all steel out there or can you set up paper or reactive targets and go down-range during a seize fire?

I think the target stands are just for zeroing.  The first thing they asked me was if my gun was zeroed, so I assume they would have let me do that if I needed.

Based on the layout I'm not sure how practical it would be to put the stand out beyond 100 yards.

It was $30 for an hour (I was a walk on), but they allow time for setup and cleanup, so pretty much an hour from first shot to last shot.  I was alone and I only had one rifle, so that was plenty of time for me.

If you're a member there are different rates.

• Like 1

Looks like my new favorite place to shoot will have to fight in court to stay open.  An actor who lives a mile away from the range is suing to have it shut down.

" The attack on this facility started as a noise issue. We proved that we are well below the legal standards set by the State. Then they complained about safety issues, that we also proved were not an issue . Next, it went to us being an ISIS / Terrorist training facility. They said that we were teaching people to conduct school shootings, and teaching people how to shoot from rooftops, like the Vegas shooting. They wrote to the Governor and said we were shooting “Black Face” targets. Of course these are all lies! The majority of our members have dedicated their lives to serving and protecting this country! This is offensive to us, our facility, and our members!!

The training facility was built because I saw a need for a place that agencies could train, and maintain a level and quality of training. Training that matched the ever changing violent levels of crime and violence that we have seen on the American streets, and in the areas of school, worship, and the work place.

The Police departments do not have the proper areas to train, so I, a retired detective and law enforcement officer, created one for them. The local agencies are allowed to train at this facility for free. The range also offers a safe area for civilians to shoot, and receive professional assistance if needed. The range also provides a location for professional competition shooters to train...

... The Actor who lives over one mile away has hired an attorney who has stated that the definitions of “Recreational, Club or Memberships” do not support The Police or Government agency training for those while on duty.
The Town in their infamous wisdom has now ordered me to stop professional training , because the actor has threatened to sue them.

This nonsense has cost us tens of thousands of dollars. I desperately need your help. The actor and his friends have said they will not stop, and will nickel and dime me out of business.

Why wouldn’t we want to provide a FREE place for local law enforcement to use, and receive the level of training that they need!? This is not a noise, or safety issue. This is an anti-gun issue!"

https://www.gofundme.com/attack-on-2nd-amendment?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb_dn_cpgnstaticsmall_r&fbclid=IwAR1SRsxIV9gYgMBzwXblB1eS82ig8Un1fmY_QopUHXMATY-fKTZW44f5on8

I don't know the name of the actor, but if they have deep pockets and connections with the local politicians then there's probably not a lot that the range owner can do.  It will just be a matter of time until they find something in the fine print of the town code that the zoning board can use as justification for pulling the permits.

I wish we did know the name of the actor. Public relations pressure is a two-way street. And these are the kinds of nefarious things the 2A community should really fight. Magazine limits? One small cut. One gun a month? Another small cut. Closing down ranges? Yet another cut. Death by a thousand cuts... need to fight each one. 

I hope they have reached out (and gotten support) from some 2A organizations.

If they are suing... why wouldn't their name be known?

Unfortunately, this is the state of affairs with many gun clubs, especially in liberal states, and ESPECIALLY for newer clubs.

It's one thing to say... "Hey, the gun club has been here for 100 years, go pound sand."

Vs... a recently established gun club.

Will try to schedule a day to go shoot there... was hoping for a good place without going to shooter's gauntlet.

12 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I wish we did know the name of the actor.

demunn200_1291921314.jpg

Carly Miller and Daniel Zuckerman Columbia-Greene Media

June 7, 2018 11:34 pm

CATSKILL — Actor Jeffrey DeMunn fought zombies for two years on the hit AMC show “The Walking Dead.” Today he’s battling an enemy of a different kind — noise.

DeMunn, his wife Kerry and two other residents attended the Greene County Legislature’s Public Safety Committee meeting Wednesday to share their concerns about loud noises from the Sheepdog Warrior Shooting Range and Training Facility on Haines Road.

...... “Who wants to hike with all that racket going on? It was loud, very loud,” he said. “It sounded like a war zone.” .......

DeMunn reached out to Greene County Legislator Harry Lennon, D-Cairo, two weeks ago about the noise and requested to address the Legislature.

Noise from the shooting range has driven bears and their cubs down the mountain to Route 32 in Catskill, Whitcomb said.

So, now we know who.

The anti-2A gang was not getting what they wanted, because the law is on SDW's side, so the anti gun libtards hired a lawyer to try and catch them on technicalities.  It started out as a noise issue, but the sound level was far below 85db in noise codes.  The they tried to make it a safety issue, but the range complies with all safety regs.  Then they said LE can go train somewhere else far far away, and that LE should not be training there anyway, so now we know they are anti LE.

Sarah Trafton Columbia-Greene Media

May 8, 2019 10:01 pm

CATSKILL — The town’s ethics are being called into question after two short-notice meetings were scheduled last month.

Attorney John Dowd, of Albany wrote a letter dated April 29 to Zoning Board Chairwoman Lynn Zubris and Catskill Town Supervisor Doreen Davis about the two meetings held April 11.

Dowd represents a group of neighbors concerned with Sheepdog Warrior Shooting Range, a firing range located on Haines Road in the town.

The zoning board determined in March that law enforcement training was not a recreational use, leaving owner Ed Rivenburg the option to seek a use variance.

“We are discussing our other options with the town,” Rivenburg said Wednesday.

Rivenburg and the town have entered into a tolling agreement. A tolling agreement is an agreement to waive a right to claim that litigation should be dismissed due to the expiration of a statute of limitations, according to USLegal Inc.

“It gives us some negotiation room — time before we file a federal lawsuit to avoid a lawsuit,” Rivenburg said.

Rivenburg declined to discuss the nature of the federal lawsuit he may file.

“Hopefully we can get through it without it,” he said. “We are trying to make everyone happy here. It’s tough. Some people are just anti-gun.”

Dowd’s letter alleges that the zoning board meeting held at 5 p.m. April 11 and the “emergency” town board meeting held at 5:30 p.m. the same day involved Sheepdog and the tolling agreement.

Took the morning off to spend time with my oldest son (he's home from college) so we hit the Sheepdog Warrior range and we had a blast.  The scenery is gorgeous, the targets were freshly painted, and the range well-maintained.  I have no idea how long it takes Ed to clear the brush to keep the lines of sight open, but he does a great job.

Other than my son's introduction to "scope bite" it was a perfect way to spend a morning off from work!

I spoke briefly with Ed the owner to see if there was progress with the constant legal actions from the neighbor, but it's still more of the same.

I really enjoy shooting there so I hope the neighbor decides to give it a rest soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Took the morning off to spend time with my oldest son (he's home from college) so we hit the Sheepdog Warrior range and we had a blast.  The scenery is gorgeous, the targets were freshly painted, and the range well-maintained.  I have no idea how long it takes Ed to clear the brush to keep the lines of sight open, but he does a great job.

Other than my son's introduction to "scope bite" it was a perfect way to spend a morning off from work!

I spoke briefly with Ed the owner to see if there was progress with the constant legal actions from the neighbor, but it's still more of the same.

I really enjoy shooting there so I hope the neighbor decides to give it a rest soon.

Was going to ask if there was any progress or updates?  Do want to go up there shortly.