ZTZDWD

Outdoor Range near Newark for USPSA&IDPA

I am currently a member of OBRPC and it is a great place to shoot! They have great indoor and outdoor ranges and a lot of fun events. However I have to move closer to NYC for my job, and I will probably live around either Newark or Fort Lee or Bergan County( any area that is easily commuting to NYC). So I am looking for a range or a place to keep practicing action shooting and competition shooting. I will be going on a weekly basis, so I might not have time to drive more than 30-40 mins per way. Does anyone have some suggestion on where I should live or go shotting? 

Thanks in advance for any help or comments!

2 hours ago, ZTZDWD said:

I am currently a member of OBRPC and it is a great place to shoot! They have great indoor and outdoor ranges and a lot of fun events. However I have to move closer to NYC for my job, and I will probably live around either Newark or Fort Lee or Bergan County( any area that is easily commuting to NYC). So I am looking for a range or a place to keep practicing action shooting and competition shooting. I will be going on a weekly basis, so I might not have time to drive more than 30-40 mins per way. Does anyone have some suggestion on where I should live or go shotting? 

Thanks in advance for any help or comments!

Gun For Hire range in Woodland Park. They have a lot of different training classes. https://gunforhire.com/

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

OP was asking about OUTDOOR ranges, of which there are none within 30-40 minutes.  Cherry Ridge or OBRPC would probably be the closest.  Everything else is Indoor only.

Fine. Go to Old Bridge. GFH has training, which the OP asked for. Personally I'd move somewhere other than Newark. Mahwah is nice and the taxes are relatively low. It's also probably 35-40 min from Cherry Ridge. I don't think they have IDPA or USPSA because it's run by a bunch of GD fudds. 

@ZTZDWD

What is your timeline for moving? NJ Transit will be altering service as Amtrak is doing repairs in Penn Station from June through September. If you do move to Newark you will need to go to Newark Penn to get to NY Penn. Trains to NY Penn will be bypassing Newark Broad St. They're funneling Montclair Line passengers to Hoboken to take the PATH & Ferry. Summer of Hell Part II. 

10 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Fine. Go to Old Bridge. GFH has training, which the OP asked for. Personally I'd move somewhere other than Newark. Mahwah is nice and the taxes are relatively low. It's also probably 35-40 min from Cherry Ridge. I don't think they have IDPA or USPSA because it's run by a bunch of GD fudds. 

GFH has training but not USPSA/IDPA type.

Tenafly is indoor and has USPSA matches IIRC.

18 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Gun For Hire range in Woodland Park. They have a lot of different training classes. https://gunforhire.com/

Thank you for your reply! The training that gun for hire provide is a little different from what I am looking for. I have been there a few time, I am looking for more competition training! 

16 hours ago, Maksim said:

Um... wasn't there an indoor match in Fort Lee I believe?  er Tenafly IIRC.

But generally... driving 40 mins to a USPSA match is quite near. =)  Especially for OB.

Thank you for your suggestion! I have heard that range before, but I have never gone in person. How is it like? Is that a good choice to be as home range? 

14 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

OP was asking about OUTDOOR ranges, of which there are none within 30-40 minutes.  Cherry Ridge or OBRPC would probably be the closest.  Everything else is Indoor only.

That's the sad part when you live in this part of the country...

4 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

@ZTZDWD

What is your timeline for moving? NJ Transit will be altering service as Amtrak is doing repairs in Penn Station from June through September. If you do move to Newark you will need to go to Newark Penn to get to NY Penn. Trains to NY Penn will be bypassing Newark Broad St. They're funneling Montclair Line passengers to Hoboken to take the PATH & Ferry. Summer of Hell Part II. 

Still deciding now, looking for a new place. I might move around September. So hopefully this won't impact me too much haha

13 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

You can't draw from a holster at Cherry Ridge unless you're law enforcement.

2 hours ago, brucin said:

You can't draw from a holster at Cherry Ridge unless you're law enforcement.

Every year when the renewal comes due (I'm a non-shooting member; News & Briefs only), I fill-out the survey asking WHEN that sprawling range complex can undertake cutting a few pits into the property they already have so as to enable themselves to form an Action League or two.  They have some steel, and added a 5-Stand course not long ago.  Action w/ holster-draw is still missing on the menu.  One day...

~R

4 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Every year when the renewal comes due (I'm a non-shooting member; News & Briefs only), I fill-out the survey asking WHEN that sprawling range complex can undertake cutting a few pits into the property they already have so as to enable themselves to form an Action League or two.  They have some steel, and added a 5-Stand course not long ago.  Action w/ holster-draw is still missing on the menu.  One day...

~R

When it can reasonably determined by a reliable source that hell has frozen over and the sun rises in the west and sets in the east and the rivers flow from the seas to the mountains then it might happen.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:02 AM, ChrisJM981 said:

It's run by the fuddiest of fudds who hate anyone who hasn't been a member since 1976 or who isn't an LEO, in which case they worship you and lick your boots. If you're anyone else, don't even bother, they don't want your money. And you definitely aren't competent enough to use a holster, only LEO's, even if they shoot themselves in the leg.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Do yourself a favor and remain a member of old bridge. you will find nothing that will meet your criteria in the "north". OB is for me is 45 minutes from the 07652. All the ranges mentioned cant measure to what OB has to offer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1