Sam J

Help choosing handgun training course

New member here. Long time shooter with some basic to intermediate training in the past. I'm decent at the fundamentals but I want to take my skills up to the next level. I am trying to decide on a course. I've looked into the following and would love to get feedback from what you have experienced, particularly how they stack up against each other in terms of the skills you come away with. I'm not into IDPA/USPSA and I'm certainly not Rambo minded. I'm just looking to come away with very solid handgun skills from a good teacher without spending $5k:

• Gun for Hire (Urban 1, 2, & 3)
  • S & T (Handgun 1 & 2)
  • Tactical Training Center (Handgun 150 through 450) - This is the most convenient for me
  • Vicker's Tactical (2 Day Handgun)

Thank you very much for your feedback. Feel free to PM me if there is something you don't want to post publicly.

Sam J, here's what I know:

GFH:  I've taken all their classes multiple times.  They are about 15 minutes from me, so quite convenient. Their instructors are knowledgeable and good guys.  They present solid training info in manageable blocks of time.  They can be slightly pricier than some other places, but IMHO they are well worth it. 

S&T:  I've trained with Joe only once.  He seemed pretty good.  He brings a strong background in LE, and his prices are reasonable for a full day class. 

TTC: Scott and his crew are good.  I've taken two or three classes with them. As much as I like short training blocks, their classes are only two hours each, as they work around the range schedule. That makes it challenging for me, because I have an hour drive to get there.  If I were closer, I would train with them a lot more. 

I've never trained with Vickers, but I've been up to Sig Sauer Academy a few times, and would highly recommend them. 

If you would like further info, feel free to contact me, either here or by pm. 

On 5/24/2019 at 10:03 AM, High Exposure said:

Of those, I highly recommend S&T. Joe Riedy gives an excellent class that is close to home, it is affordable and a required a reasonable round count.

I’m 90% sure I will be at Pistol II on 6/15.

I try to take a couple of classes a year from Joe. It’s a great tune up

Where is he doing his training at? His website states Steel City Gun Club but according to they’re website it’s permanently closed.

1 hour ago, Tony13 said:

Where is he doing his training at? His website states Steel City Gun Club but according to they’re website it’s permanently closed.

It’s not closed. It’s 1/2 mile from Easton Fish&Game. 

On 5/28/2019 at 7:28 PM, High Exposure said:

Yeah. Every class I have ever had with Joe was at the Steel City Range but I always thought that was Hellertown.

Its on the border. When I took a carbine class with Joe there was a Bethlehem LEO in the class. I asked him what town the range was in and he said Bethlehem. The range is actually owned by the Bethlehem PD and they do all their quals there. They hardly use it much so they allow civilians to use it for classes and shoot there on limited membership. 

Also interested in this. newbie here got my FID a year ago and have the holy trinity (AR-15, handgun, pump shotgun) and really want to make sure I have my basics down correct.  Only "problem" is I am up in North jersey so I only know of Gun For Hire.  I did pay for a  shotgun basics class there but I really felt I learned the same amount as watching youtube videos.  Any recommendations for classes closer to North NJ or at the farthest central (nothing south of Trenton)?

10 hours ago, peacewalker said:

Also interested in this. newbie here got my FID a year ago and have the holy trinity (AR-15, handgun, pump shotgun) and really want to make sure I have my basics down correct.  Only "problem" is I am up in North jersey so I only know of Gun For Hire.  I did pay for a  shotgun basics class there but I really felt I learned the same amount as watching youtube videos.  Any recommendations for classes closer to North NJ or at the farthest central (nothing south of Trenton)?

GFH has some really good instructors and really good programs.

When I first started shooting I watched a lot of videos, did a lot of dry-fire, and went to the range a lot, but I wasn't sure which pistol course to take.  I needed to have an "NRA Basic Pistol" certificate to join a range, so I called GFH and asked if they could do that.  They didn't have that specific class scheduled, but they were super flexible and offered to have one of their instructors take me through the requirements as a private lesson.

Best decision ever.

For the same price as one of the classes I was able to get the Pistol Basics certificate and have a one on one session with one of their fantastic instructors.

Not sure what classes they currently offer, but if you give them a call and tell them what you're interested in achieving I'm sure they would hook you up.

In the mean time, watch videos, do a LOT of dry firing, and shoot a lot.

I think this is a good (but long) video that covers a lot of basics:

• Like 1