Johnk-NJ

Is a Zulu 2.0 stock NJ legal?

I don't know of anyone who uses one in NJ - that doesn't mean it's "illegal".

The NJ assault weapon law "evil feature" description for stocks is:

"A folding or telescoping stock"

If you're confident that a NJ prosecutor cannot successfully convince a jury that the Zulu 2.0 stock is "telescoping" then go for it.

The legality of that stock depends on what you put it on.

Assuming you are not putting it on a rifle that is on the outright banned list, then you have to go by the criteria that says:  A semi-auto rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO of the following features is illegal:

1. Folding or telescopic stock

2. Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action

3. A bayonet mount

4. A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor

5. A grenade launcher

So you can't put it on an AR-15 because they have pistol grips.  Adding a folding stock will mean you have at least 2 "evil features" causing the gun to be illegal.  

4 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

The legality of that stock depends on what you put it on.

Assuming you are not putting it on a rifle that is on the outright banned list, then you have to go by the criteria that says:  A semi-auto rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO of the following features is illegal:

1. Folding or telescopic stock

2. Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action

3. A bayonet mount

4. A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor

5. A grenade launcher

So you can't put it on an AR-15 because they have pistol grips.  Adding a folding stock will mean you have at least 2 "evil features" causing the gun to be illegal.  

So, you believe this would be the Zulu would be considered a telescopic stock?

So I guess the fear is someone is going to have an AR under there trench coat then rip it out and quick adjust the stock with an Allen wrench   to get 2 1/2 inches of more stock?

6 minutes ago, Johnk-NJ said:

So I guess the fear is someone is going to have an AR under there trench coat then rip it out and quick adjust the stock with an Allen wrench   to get 2 1/2 inches of more stock?

I disagree with the other posters.. if I am understanding the Zulu correctly it does NOT look like the stock folds or is telescopic.. it looks like the butt pad (part of the stock) is adjustable.. but the stock itself is fixed... 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, Johnk-NJ said:

I believe there stands a good chance that NJ cops and/or NJ prosecutors would view it as telescopic if they were examining an AR-15.  Remember, those individuals have little to no expertise on firearms. 

Chances of you finding yourself in that situation are probably slim enough that you could get this and use it and if it were actually to be considered illegal, nobody would ever know.  And I never said anything about hiding this in a trench coat.  You posted the question and I gave an answer so don't get snarky because you don't like my opinion.   Contact Evan Nappen or some other attorney if you want an opinion that really matters.        

21 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

I believe there stands a good chance that NJ cops and/or NJ prosecutors would view it as telescopic if they were examining an AR-15.  Remember, those individuals have little to no expertise on firearms. 

first of all.. the stock does not adjust.. 
second.. how would they even get to that point.. the buttplate only adjusts with a tool.. 

"folding or telescoping stock"

tel·e·scope
/ˈteləˌskōp/
verb
gerund or present participle: telescoping
  1. (with reference to an object made of concentric tubular parts) slide or cause to slide into itself, so that it becomes smaller.

Even if you didn't need a tool.. this buttplate does not even technically "telescope"... the law was specifically written with the idea of demonizing guns like the AR15.. so the verbiage was chosen to address the way an AR stock slides over the tube.. actually that brings up a good point.. 

• Agree 1

I agree, the stock does not adjust.  The butt plate adjusts.  Since it adjust length-wise, my point was that this is NJ and I think the difference between "telescopic stock" and "extendable butt plate" could be a fine hair to split with the anti-2A Oligarchy in power in this state if it were to come in question by the authorities.

How would they get to this point?  Most likely it will never come under question unless you get caught robbing a liquor store or bank with it, but then you have other problems anyway.  So if you want it, go for it.  I see your side and I got nothing else to say otherwise. 

56 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

first of all.. the stock does not adjust.. 

As gentlemanly as I can, I would like to point out that the manufacture actually markets it as an adjustable stock.  I still agree 100% with your point that it is not "telescopic," which is indeed a very specific term that does not equate to "adjustable."

https://www.odinworks.com/Zulu_2_0_Adjustable_Stock_Kit_p/os-zulu-kit.htm

1 hour ago, Regular Guy said:

Chances of you finding yourself in that situation are probably slim enough that you could get this and use it and if it were actually to be considered illegal, nobody would ever know.  And I never said anything about hiding this in a trench coat.  You posted the question and I gave an answer so don't get snarky because you don't like my opinion.   Contact Evan Nappen or some other attorney if you want an opinion that really matters.        

I never got snarky with you at all. I was merely pointing out how ridiculous it would be if that stock would be considered to be illegal in New Jersey. Considering you need hex wrenches to make any fine adjustments. I appreciate you responding and regret any confusion.

11 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

As gentlemanly as I can, I would like to point out that the manufacture actually markets it as an adjustable stock.  I still agree 100% with your point that it is not "telescopic," which is indeed a very specific term that does not equate to "adjustable."

https://www.odinworks.com/Zulu_2_0_Adjustable_Stock_Kit_p/os-zulu-kit.htm

if I market a suppressor as a muzzle brake that does not make it a muzzle brake.. the point being the manufacturers designation of a product is not a qualification when measuring legality in NJ unless I have missed some change in the law.. 

1 minute ago, Johnk-NJ said:

I never got snarky with you at all. I was merely pointing out how ridiculous it would be if that stock would be considered to be illegal in New Jersey. Considering you need hex wrenches to make any fine adjustments. I appreciate you responding and regret any confusion.

I am not a lawyer proceed at your own risk.. but if any cop picked up that gun... I do NOT think their instinct would be to consider that adjustable.. especially since in their handling... it would NOT adjust.. LOL 

My take on it, if it takes a tool to “adjust it” then it is not a collapsible stock.  

Looks like a cool stock... will have to try one out. 

Heck, a PRS stock takes less effort to adjust the length of pull and cheek rest. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

My take on it, if it takes a tool to “adjust it” then it is not a collapsible stock.  

Looks like a cool stock... will have to try one out. 

Heck, a PRS stock takes less effort to adjust the length of pull and cheek rest. 

I agree.

But I wouldn't want to pay for a lawyer to prove my point, in front of a Liberal gun hating judge .

If the SHTF, my pin would be punched out and I would probably have secured some 10+ mags somewhere.

At that point , all bets are off anyhow.

6 minutes ago, remixer said:

If the stock uses a bolt which requires you to loose or remove to "Adjust the length" than its not Folding or a telescopic stock.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, remixer said:

Ok i just emailed the NJSP...

The answer will change depending on who answers the phone, the time of day and if there's a full moon.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

The answer will change depending on who answers the phone, the time of day and if there's a full moon.

Oh im not calling... I'm emailing a specific person... 

I trust my opinion was right... BUT if im wrong i'll post that as well.

I look at it this way... A regular telescoping stock becomes Non telescoping by placing a roll pin, Screw, Glue etc etc  in the stock...

This Zulu stock would only need a bolt to stop it from moving.. Oh lookey it comes with 2 bolts that stop it from moving.

• Agree 1

Njsp replied

I have had similar stocks sent to me for opinion.  This would fall in the legal category.  The intent of banning a folding or telescoping stock was to limit concealability, this stock is obviously not designed for that purpose.”

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I just became an Odin Works dealer!

After a discussion with these people I decide this was not a good fit for my business model. 

They also gave NJ a thumbs up!

$149 shipped specify color....

To add to the "it's legal" conclusion, multiple adjustable stocks using a similar rod and clamp design that needed tools were sold and approved as federal AWB compliant during the 94AWB period. given that the verbiage defining an assault weapon was the same for rifles between the two, that's a fairly compelling argument that it's kosher. 

Yes there are in fact people using them in nj, so you wouldn't be the first. 

They are pretty nice for the money. 

5 hours ago, Downtownv said:

I called Odin and they told me I should contact my local law enforcement that they are not lawyers. 

7 hours ago, Downtownv said:

https://vitalarms.com/odin-stock-zulu-2-0-w-padded-buffer-tube-black-for-ar-15/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI04rWw4bC4gIVz1qGCh2d-Au5EAQYASABEgJPdfD_BwE

• Haha 2