BobA

Shipping

If I'm having an issue with my .45 that may need the factory to repair, and I hope it doesn't come to that, am I permitted to ship and receive it myself?  Or doesn't our fair state, governed by The Duke of Dentures, require me to go through an FFL?  If so would I be relinquishing ownership and be forced to do the P2P dance to get it back?  

You can legally ship a firearm to a manufacturer or gunsmith for repair or modification.  FEDEX or UPS and both will require a more expensive expedited delivery.  Best if manufacturer sends you a shipping label.

You are required to declare it's a firearm.  I've never had an issue with it.

Long guns can be shipped USPS.

Everything GRIZ said is correct.

The OP didn't say what the problem is. So I would note that if for some reason the 'fix' is to swap the serialized frame, then an P2P would be required and would have to go through an FFL.

This happened to me with a polymer pistol. Coincidentally my FFL had shipped the pistol for me since it was very soon after purchase, so the factory returned the pistol to them. Then we had to exercise a P2P to get it back since the serial number was different. The factory did ship a letter documenting the serial number swap.

If I had sent the pistol myself, I believe the factory would have returned it and the letter directly to me. Not sure what I would have done then.

This shouldn’t involve serial numbers as it’s an ejector problem on the slide. If my call to them today doesn’t clarify the exact parts for me to order then shipping is next. It’s a simple operation but the parts and their numbers needed are vague on sites. 

Thanks everyone. No way was I going to do the 4 +/- month P2P process. I was prepared to drive to Mass myself rather than that. The hoops they make us jump through, huh?