DirtyDigz

Pipe threading tool?

I’m thinking about trying a couple of projects using black iron pipe and fittings:

- Building window bars over an old garage window to prevent break-in

- Some furniture-type stuff using pipe as the frame and some wood pieces (workbench/table, stool, shelving)

I’m guessing that I’ll need to cut and thread about 40-50 pipe ends to do all of it.

Is there a “mid-range” pipe-threading tool I can buy that will last long enough to get that done so  I can buy bulk pipe lengths and then thread all the ends myself?

Rent one Douglas, this way you are not stuck with a crappy tool.  And you will save money.  And you will get a legit one.  And they will show you how it works.

• Disagree 1

Renting one is the cheapest alternative but the longer you have it the more it costs.

While not the best quality I've found Harbor Freight stuff good for things you might do again at a later date.  Not for the guy who has to do it everyday but good enough.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Harbor Frieght is either a grand slam or a strike out.  If home security is your goal, get it done with a legit tool.  

Usually, a strike out, unless you're buying a one time use tool, then throwing it away.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

How many pipe ends did you thread, if I may ask?

At least 10-15 and most were bigger 1 1/4.  I was even abusing it with a pipe over the handle as a “cheater” for more leverage... to be honest, I expected it to break but was pleasantly surprised when it didn’t. 

• Thanks 1