Zeke

Zeke awesomeness rib method no fruit

Ok I tried this the other day. Not sure where I found the idea.

1 rack of ribs sectioned in 3 ribs per

1 medium size container of sweet baby rays bbq sauce.

1 crockpot 

Place ribs in crockpot bone down. Smother with bbq sauce. The whole thing! 

Cover and Cook on low 4-6 hours . Don’t mess with em.

@gleninjersey trust me these are phenomenal!

October @Displaced Texan Prepare to be destroyed by my creative cuisine charisma!

• Like 1

After years of owning a Brinkman, which recently died a salt air death, for 8 years, it was time.

So my loving wife comes home with an early Father's Day Gift. A new Master Built Propane /Charcoal powered smoker.

So Today I "seasoned" it. (the new Smoker0

Tomorrow Friday-the big ole rack of ribs for trial by fire.

No Fruit

No veggies

Plenty of Gates• BBQ sauce (I get a case sent to me once a year.)

Pics and details to follow.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Don’t fear technology and a better way.

Technology is great, it helps us do some things more efficiently, faster, sometimes even smarter.  There is one thing that technology can't do, and that's exactly replicate something natural.  Cooking meat over a fire fueled by charcoal or firewood is they way it's been done for over 230,000 years.  In spite of superior technology, crockpot cannot replicate ribs slow cooked over coals or in a smoker.  If you want to cook ribs "smarter", then go on and use that crockpot.  They will come out tender and tasting like BBQ sauce, probably pretty tasty too.  But they won't come close to smoked or slow cooked over coals.

For real BBQ ribs, there is no better way, because there is only one way.  I guess I may try the crockpot in the winter.  I tried a pressure cooker a few times, that's really fast (and one time a little scary).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Technology is great, it helps us do some things more efficiently, faster, sometimes even smarter.  There is one thing that technology can't do, and that's exactly replicate something natural.  Cooking meat over a fire fueled by charcoal or firewood is they way it's been done for over 230,000 years.  In spite of superior technology, crockpot cannot replicate ribs slow cooked over coals or in a smoker.  If you want to cook ribs "smarter", then go on and use that crockpot.  They will come out tender and tasting like BBQ sauce, probably pretty tasty too.  But they won't come close to smoked or slow cooked over coals.

For real BBQ ribs, there is no better way, because there is only one way.  I guess I may try the crockpot in the winter.  I tried a pressure cooker a few times, that's really fast (and one time a little scary).

The crockpot ribs are the modern day meat musket! 

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Bring your best, buddy!!! 

I might do REAL bbq ribs...you know, how they are supposed to be done...on a smoker. :rofl:

This!

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Don’t fear technology and a better way.

And and and, better ribs!

Now you sound like greenday. Crockpot makes the meat to tender, ya end up eating it with a fork not off the bone. 

I'm use my crockpot often but never for ribs 

• Disagree 1

Just now, fishnut said:

Now you sound like greenday. Crockpot makes the meat to tender, ya end up eating it with a fork not off the bone. 

That’s GOTTA hurt, Zeke!

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, fishnut said:

Thems fightin words Zeek!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

1 crockpot 

October @Displaced Texan Prepare to be destroyed by my creative cuisine charisma!

I've made ribs a couple of times using Sweet Baby Rays Hickory and Brown Sugar. Try adding a cup of bourbon to the sauce. I've baked them in the oven on a low heat, then finished them on the grill. Yum.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njpilot said:

I've made ribs a couple of times using Sweet Baby Rays Hickory and Brown Sugar. Try adding a cup of bourbon to the sauce. I've baked them in the oven on a low heat, then finished them on the grill. Yum.

A cup of bourbon in the crockpot would be freakin awesomer!

@fishnut bring it! Meat falls off the bone.

I sometimes make my own bbq sauce from scratch, but lately, I’ve been using Sweet Baby Rays as a base.

Its a mix of SBR’s, apple juice, vinegar, bourbon (Evan Williams), and some of my bbq rub. The bottled sauce is too thick and ‘ketchup like’ for my tastes, but it’s pretty damn good when it’s cut back and thinned out. Those of y’all who have had my brisket at the shotgun shoots, that’s what I brought. 

I believe that bbq sauce should always be served on the side...and never cooked on the meat....sauce is an add on.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I sometimes make my own bbq sauce from scratch, but lately, I’ve been using Sweet Baby Rays as a base.

Its a mix of SBR’s, apple juice, vinegar, bourbon (Evan Williams), and some of my bbq rub. The bottled sauce is too thick and ‘ketchup like’ for my tastes, but it’s pretty damn good when it’s cut back and thinned out. Those of y’all who have had my brisket at the shotgun shoots, that’s what I brought. 

I believe that bbq sauce should always be served on the side...and never cooked on the meat....sauce is an add on.

That’s old school 

57 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I like bbq sauce but not on ribs just a good dry rub is all I need. 

I have a good recipe for blueberry balsamic bbq sauce. There's your fruit @Zeke

I do ribs fairly often on the smoker (I run a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker), and the recipe I keep coming back to is the classic BRITU (Best Ribs in the Universe, so named after the recipe won the cooking competition of the same name.  The winner reportedly smoked 173 batches of ribs while tweaking the recipe for the competition).   

BRITU ribs

The dry rub is easy to make from scratch, and they are sauced only after they come off of the smoker (I like them with the sauce, but it could easily be left off for those who prefer them dry).

@fishnut @Zeke @10X @Displaced Texan  Dammit to Hell you guys!  It's 10 o'clock at night and all I want are smoked BBQ ribs w/ a good dry rub (for the ribs, not junior), lol!

I do mine dry-rubbed & try to get a small smoke ring.  Who's got my BEER??

~R

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njpilot said:

I've done this. Comes out great. Family loves em. 

16 hours ago, Zeke said:

1 crockpot 

GTFO