Malsua

Golf Carts

I am in the process of buying a home in The Villages Florida.  It is a 55+ retirement community, golf cart accessible.   Unfortunately, I'm not moving there for at least 5 years, unless I lose my job or something like that.

Anyway, I don't know anything about golf carts, well, not really.  I could probably fix one without a manual.  I know motors, electricity and gears and that kind of thing.

What I don't know is how much of a PITA these things are.   Anyone have any experience with reliability?  

I know everyone seems to run Par-Car, Club Car, Yamaha and E-Z-Go.    Seems like Yamaha would be a winner there.

Electric or Gas?  I know gas needs tune ups and oil changes, electric just seems easier but then batteries fail over time.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

If I bought one, I'd go electric. Quieter and less maintenance, although you will have to plug it in each night and replace the batteries every few years. Also, some communities are electric only.

13 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Electric or Gas?  I know gas needs tune ups and oil changes, electric just seems easier but then batteries fail over time.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

I think it depends...

If your Neighbors are liberals get a gas powered one with an insanely loud muffler

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The entire place is golf carts, 95% of people have one and there are around 150,000 residents.   Many (most) of the people there are red staters not liberal bozos.

The mix is probably 50/50 gas or electric.  No one cares what you drive, I just want to make an informed decision.

Just now, Malsua said:

The entire place is golf carts, 95% of people have one and there are around 150,000 residents.   Many (most) of the people there are red staters not liberal bozos.

The mix is probably 50/50 gas or electric.  No one cares what you drive, I just want to make an informed decision.

I personally would do gas.....  Charging batteries seems like something easy to forget to do...  than there is the cost of replacement batteries..

5 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

Find out what shop service their carts. Just look in the parking lot for what model breaks/needs service the most.

That's probably a good idea although the gas ones are in for new belts, oil changes and the like a lot more than the Electric.  

Then there's your answer. You want to be doing that when your 70 or 80? Just a thought...some of these communities don't allow you do any work like that unless its in your closed garage.

Quick funny story. My buddy was in Fla looking for a retirement community on his Goldwing. Saw a new village selling pre built sites and stopped at their trailer. He liked what he saw and signed up for one. They stepped outside and the agent saw his bike parked. Said they don't allow motorcycles on site. Ended that deal fast. Another friend who already lived in one of those community's tried to bring his brand new Grady White  home to do some small work on couldn't get past the gate. Can't park them in the village.

Just be aware. 

Definitely electric. Less moving parts, and since they've been around for many decades, any bugs have been long worked out.

Also, think about it, with a gas cart, you'll have to keep buying gas in jugs and bringing it home, and refilling the tank. You want to do that in retirement, or just plug the cart into the wall?

My father lived in Florida, had an electric cart in his community for like 25 years. Played golf just about every day. Except for the occassional flat tire or mechanical issue, I think he replaced batteries once. And he ran that thing multiple times every day.

Range is always an issue with Electric, specially after a few years. 

Also, I don't think people understand how prevalent carts are in The Villages. Carts have their own lanes on the roads, their own pumps at gas stations, their own parking at restaurants, etc.   It's the preferred method of travel inside The Villages.  The Villages is pretty big at 32 Square Miles.  You can live out the remainder of your days there and never leave and many people do just that. lol.  Just don't get an STD which apparently is running rampant through the oldsters.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Range is always an issue with Electric, specially after a few years. 

Only if you DON'T take care of the batteries, and run them down too far..

If you keep deep cycle batteries charged up, they will last a long time (many years) and hold a good charge. Flat line them once, and they're toast...

Just now, SW9racer said:

Just get a half dozen large breed dogs and hook the team up to a wagon. 

Max dog size is 40lb.   It's bigger at different properties.   I don't mind, my Bichon can't get to 40lb.

Speaking of...had a Fox visit us the other day.  We've been seeing her a lot, but this was close and we stared at each other for 5 minutes.  Was pretty cool.

4 hours ago, Malsua said:

Max dog size is 40lb.   It's bigger at different properties.   I don't mind, my Bichon can't get to 40lb.

Speaking of...had a Fox visit us the other day.  We've been seeing her a lot, but this was close and we stared at each other for 5 minutes.  Was pretty cool.

We've been seeing a ton of those around here.  We got to see him/her hunt successfully on several occasions.

3 hours ago, Malsua said:

Geezus.  Quote one of those out.   Starts at 9799.  Add a cup holder, and a 10 minute battery, $17k.

Oh, come on... you'll be retired, go for it... it's only money, you can't take it with you.. :yahoo:

Plus, you'll be the envy of the neighborhood, while everyone else is driving their, used, beat up, Ez-Gos!!!

I lived in a community in the poconos that allowed golf carts and atvs.  I liked the option.  It was great for my then-younger kids to get around.  The batteries took a little extra wear and tear with the cold winter weather, but Florida would not have that problem.

1 hour ago, father-of-three said:

I lived in a community in the poconos that allowed golf carts and atvs.  I liked the option.  It was great for my then-younger kids to get around.  The batteries took a little extra wear and tear with the cold winter weather, but Florida would not have that problem.

The best thing is the parking!   There is always somewhere for a cart.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, SmittyMHS said:

They stepped outside and the agent saw his bike parked. Said they don't allow motorcycles on site. Ended that deal fast. Another friend who already lived in one of those community's tried to bring his brand new Grady White  home to do some small work on couldn't get past the gate. Can't park them in the village.

Just be aware. 

I decided a long time ago that I will NEVER again live anywhere that a Homeowners Association exists.   I don't know if membership on an HOA board naturally attracts the fascists, or if otherwise reasonable people quickly become tin pot dictators when given the paltry power that should come with being on the board, but living in some/many communities with a HOA is a little like what I'd imagine living in North Korea is like, minus the possibility of being publicly executed by Dear Leader.

A few things I've experienced or heard recounted by neighbors when I lived in the condo complex:

Put up a screen door:   Fine levied

Plant a couple of flowers:  Fine levied

Hang a towel to dry on an upper floor balcony where it can be seen if you walk far enough out into the common area: First warning, threat of fine if repeated

Open your car hood in the parking area (attempting to check oil, but the neighborhood enforcer pounced immediately):  First warning for performing automotive repairs in the parking lot, threat of fine if repeated.

Attempt to hook up a 12 v compressor to inflate a low tire:  same response as above

Ban imposed on parking any vehicle with writing on it...with a week's notice, they banned everyone who drove a work vehicle that was in any way labeled as such, everything from a drywall contractor's panel van to a Merry Maid's Corolla.  

So yeah, be aware.  And be wary.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, 10X said:

I decided a long time ago that I will NEVER again live anywhere that a Homeowners Association exists.  

100% with you brother.

If I lived in a place with an HOA again, stop #2 for me would probably be the electric chair.