Hope

Handgun laws in Jersey in 1990

3 hours ago, SW9racer said:

The next problem with your story is the dad cannot give the daughter a handgun in nj. She would have to apply for a purchase permit and could then take possession. If she didn’t then that is another felony to be charged with. That law I believe started in the 60’s in nj.  

The OP says she inherited the gun from her mother.  Later on in the thread there is a comment that her father wanted her to have a gun.  The question is who's gun was it before the 21 yr old got it.  The mother who died and left her the gun in her will? That would be legal. Or did her father give it to her?  That would be illegal without the proper transfer procedures  (P2P).

@Hope  that's a 1934 Beretta not a 1964.

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

The question is who's gun was it before the 21 yr old got it.  The mother who died and left her the gun in her will? That would be legal. Or did her father give it to her?

And what about Naomi?

Maybe the book is going to be a mystery. 

• Like 1

Hi all--

Yes, I have shot a gun skeet shooting.

In the fictional story I'm researching, the Beretta was given to the daughter by the father for self defense after she was raped. The Beretta had been one by the daughter's mother. The daughter did not inherit the gun formally, it was simply given to her by her father after the rape.

SO, just to emphasize, this is not a true story, this is a work of fiction but I want the events to hew to the truth nonetheless.

I have no idea what the question about pork rolls or egg and cheese is about. Is that code for something? 

Thanks,

Hope

4 minutes ago, Hope said:

Hi all--

In the fictional story I'm researching, the Beretta was given to the daughter by the father for self defense after she was raped. The Beretta had been one by the daughter's mother. The daughter did not inherit the gun formally, it was simply given to her by her father after the rape.

SO, just to emphasize, this is not a true story, this is a work of fiction but I want the events to hew to the truth nonetheless.

I have no idea what the question about pork rolls or egg and cheese is about. Is that code for something? 

Thanks,

Hope

Yes its code for how stupid nj actually is....

2 hours ago, Hope said:

Hi all--

Thanks,

Hope

Note she said "Pork Roll".....NOT "Taylor Ham"

Those in the northern climes of NJ seem to believe that pork roll is really called taylor ham.  those who know....know differently. 

But back to your story.  Pulled-over with a beretta in her glove box....she is toast. 

If dad gave her the beretta with no real training and instruction....he is a fool

I am still trying to figure out why she only had a single round in the magazine....makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Hope said:

Hi all--

Thanks,

Hope

Her father giving her the gun opens a new door.  If a prosecutor can prove the father gave her the gun the father can be charged with the illegal transfer.

The best case scenario for this 21 yr old is the prosecutor offers her a plea deal with no or minimal jail time and fine where her and her father won't be prosecuted for the illegal transfer if she pleas to the gun charge.  This might also include reducing the charge to a misdemeanor.  She'll have a conviction that will follow her in any case.

There is no reason for a prosecutor to offer her a deal with the scenario you give.  He would have her guilty if there was a trial.  A prosecutor might offer her a deal to get the case off his calendar as she isn't a career criminal but he doesn't have to with the facts you provide.

@Hope I also wonder what your idea behind having only one bullet in the magazine is.  The criminal charges would still be the same if she had no ammunition with the gun.  If the one round was a hollow point that would be an additional charge.

13 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Her father giving her the gun opens a new door.  If a prosecutor can prove the father gave her the gun the father can be charged with the illegal transfer.

The best case scenario for this 21 yr old is the prosecutor offers her a plea deal with no or minimal jail time and fine where her and her father won't be prosecuted for the illegal transfer if she pleas to the gun charge.  This might also include reducing the charge to a misdemeanor.  She'll have a conviction that will follow her in any case.

There is no reason for a prosecutor to offer her a deal with the scenario you give.  He would have her guilty if there was a trial.  A prosecutor might offer her a deal to get the case off his calendar as she isn't a career criminal but he doesn't have to with the facts you provide.

@Hope I also wonder what your idea behind having only one bullet in the magazine is.  The criminal charges would still be the same if she had no ammunition with the gun.  If the one round was a hollow point that would be an additional charge.

It’s a story. A book. Maybe a body was found 3 miles away with 14 rounds in it. She was saving the last for her father because she found out she wasn’t his real daughter. But when she found out her real father was really the Governor of New Jersey she was going to turn it on herself. Then the Trooper pulled her over and they fell in love and moved to Maine where they could live together with the beretta in freedom happily ever after. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Crazy 1

23 minutes ago, BobA said:

It’s a story. A book. Maybe a body was found 3 miles away with 14 rounds in it. She was saving the last for her father because she found out she wasn’t his real daughter. But when she found out her real father was really the Governor of New Jersey she was going to turn it on herself. Then the Trooper pulled her over and they fell in love and moved to Maine where they could live together with the beretta in freedom happily ever after. 

Spoiler alert!

Anna,

I suggest you set your novel in a free state......May I suggest Texas!  Nobody will buy a book, even a novel, when you start to explain to the readers how NJ gun laws work!  It's simply too unbelievable for most free Americans!

That and her parents would not have raised her in NJ if they really loved her! It really sucks that much here!:(

54 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Anna,

I suggest you set your novel in a free state......May I suggest Texas!  Nobody will buy a book, even a novel, when you start to explain to the readers how NJ gun laws work!  It's simply too unbelievable for most free Americans!

That and her parents would not have raised her in NJ if they really loved her! It really sucks that much here!:(

Unless she’s supposed to get caught. Maybe it’s a story about a woman’s prison. Now we’re talking!

• Like 1

@HopeSo there you have it.  We can tell you what could happen.  We can tell you what we have read has happened.  But what positively will happen we can't say because we're law abiding legal gun owners that successfully follow the rules to avoid these types of messes and have not gone through it ourselves..  As much as we want these unconstitutional, feel good, ignorant laws changed we (so far) opt to pursue the legal channels rather than defiance. We're regular people that live under a black cloud of reputation given to us by active shooters and gang members promoted by corrupt media.  We look down on real life individuals like your story character because their actions become negative headlines and statistics that darken that cloud on the rest of us as we obey the rules.     

• Like 1

Well, you could consider using the next chapter after she's pulled over to describe her ordeal navigating the legal system and trying to stay out of jail.  If you try to represent it as it would likely happen your readers would probably stop reading due to the nonsense she goes through being completely absurd.

Thanks all!

It's a coming of age story, so my character's unthinking carelessness regards the handgun is part of that messiness.

I had thought that perhaps, in 1990, laws/police were slightly more casual regards handguns than today. But if I understand the general gist of these replies, NJ has some of the strictest laws in the nation. So perhaps even thirty years ago, my character would have been in big trouble, i.e., arrest, fine, court. 

If I get published I will be sure to thank and credit NJGF. Cheers everybody, and thanks again.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Hope said:

Thanks all!

It's a coming of age story, so my character's unthinking carelessness regards the handgun is part of that messiness.

I had thought that perhaps, in 1990, laws/police were slightly more casual regards handguns than today. But if I understand the general gist of these replies, NJ has some of the strictest laws in the nation. So perhaps even thirty years ago, my character would have been in big trouble, i.e., arrest, fine, court. 

If I get published I will be sure to thank and credit NJGF. Cheers everybody, and thanks again.

Keep us posted