Nucrunner

KEL-TEC Gen2 SUB2000

I would appreciate any comments as far as whether the KEL-TEC Gen2 SUB2000 is good to go “as is” in NJ? 

Is it a rifle or a Pistol? (Permit other than FID required?)

I understand are some adjustments with the stock, will it be required to be pinned? 

Giving thought to purchase, would appreciate any pros or cons to owning one in NJ.

No specific use, just another option at the range.

Thanks!

Jerk alert!

If you want a reliable, well made, dependable 9mm rifle that takes Glock pattern magazines then get the Ruger PCC.  Kel-Tec has yet to to a product that has those three qualities.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Jerk alert!

If you want a reliable, well made, dependable 9mm rifle that takes Glock pattern magazines then get the Ruger PCC.  Kel-Tec has yet to to a product that has those three qualities.  

Except the one @GRIZ has the site fell off. True story 

• Like 1

I had a Sub2000 gen 2 in .40 S&W. It was not a pleasant gun to shoot in that caliber.

It is considered a rifle as the gun cannot fire in the folded position. 

I do like the folding concept. I will probably get one someday, in 9mm, if I find a used one for the right price. I think new it is overpriced.

As for compliance work, the Gen 2 has a threaded barrel, so you either need to weld the provided thread protector on (which is what most FFLs do to it) or have a muzzle brake welded on. The Gen 1 rifles do not have a threaded barrel, but you want Gen 2 for the improved design and sights. I would only buy a Gen 1 if it was a screaming deal.

The adjustable stock has been cleared by the State Police firearms unit as being OK in NJ, as it is needed to take the gun down for cleaning. If you want, I can try to find my copy of the letter.

All that said.... I own the Ruger PCC 9 and agree that it is a superior rifle in just about all aspects. It is heavier and less compact than the Sub2k, but it feels like a real gun and it has really fantastic ghost ring sights. It takes Glock magazines from the 26/19/17. I have the original version, but the new aluminum handguard version really looks nice.

Let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nucrunner said:

I would appreciate any comments as far as whether the KEL-TEC Gen2 SUB2000 is good to go “as is” in NJ? YES

Is it a rifle or a Pistol? (Permit other than FID required?) RIFLE

I understand are some adjustments with the stock, will it be required to be pinned? DO NOT PIN

Giving thought to purchase, would appreciate any pros or cons to owning one in NJ. GOOD FOR BACKPACK CARRY

No specific use, just another option at the range. GO FOR IT.

Thanks!

• Like 2

I have the .40 that takes M&P magazines... being I have two M&P40s.

Stock, they are borderline functional. Will it work... very likely yes. However, somewhere between airsoft and BB gun is a good comparison. Having a few other pistol caliber carbines, the SUB-2000 is nice for the folding feature, but it is as economic as you can make a functioning firearm.

With that being said, if you like the design... look up MCARBO. They do A LOT of modifications for the SUB-2000. I personally have all of their internal modifications in mine... and remember how I said it felt like an airsoft/BB gun? The MCARBO equipped gun feels like a gun.

I got on their pre-release sale, and got their new optics mount for about $100. Very nice design, and beats the other options... and still allows for folding. It will mount the SIG red-dot I have at home whenever I get situated up in ME.

Comparing the Ruger, I can't really talk much... as I always preferred the CX4 to the KelTec. However, the Ruger is encroaching 7 pounds (CX4 is under 6). The SUB-2000... 4.25 pounds. Plus, if you want flexibility with magazine compatibility... the KelTec does do a lot more than just Glock and Ruger.

• Like 1

I have a sub 2k gen 2 that takes Glock mags.  It has run flawlessly and is fun to shoot.

major negative: the sights. God awful, I couldn’t even use them. I removed the crappy back flip up sight, and have a romeo 5 on it.

The red dot makes it very fun to shoot.

3 hours ago, Screwball said:

The KelTec does do a lot more than just Glock and Ruger.

As of now, yes.  But 1 Ruger can potentially take many more 9mm magwells.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

As of now, yes.  But 1 Ruger can potentially take many more 9mm magwells.

Even if you get a Glock SUB-2000... you can order the two halves (not the actual firearm... the bolt tube is), and a universal magazine release. You now have the multi version. Halves and magazine release come out to either $57 or $82... depending on which you buy.

CZ-75, Beretta 9x, TP9, P320, M&P, P226, S&W 3rd Generation... then the Glock full-size or compact. And KelTec has been doing new magazine adapters as new guns have become popular.

Still don’t see Ruger doing anything with other magazines... even though I’d want to see it. And still want a .45 version for a suppressor host. But money will go elsewhere until that happens.

I am likely getting a 9mm Glock magazine carbine in the near future... at least when CBP fully switches over to Glock (figuring by October 2020, but likely sooner, since the northern border should be getting them first). I’d consider another KelTec... but an AR pistol also is sort of calling me. Definitely not a Ruger, completely due to weight.

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

Definitely not a Ruger, completely due to weight.

There is no way my hard earned money will go to a sub standard product.   Kel-Tec is most definitely sub standard. 

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

There is no way my hard earned money will go to a sub standard product.   Kel-Tec is most definitely sub standard. 

Spend your money however you want. I’d put my MCARBOed SUB-2000 up against most other pistol caliber carbines... and would feel confident with it.

Even the stock SUB-2000s have enough rounds through them to prove they are fine. You can call it what you want, but I do not see any other 16” carbines coming in that weight, much less be able to fold in half. Some of KelTec’s firearms have teething issues, but most get squared away. But the thinking outside the box is what a lot of buyers are drawn to.

That all being said, think I narrowed down on the firearm I mentioned earlier...

https://www.cmmginc.com/product/pistol-banshee-200-mkgs-9mm/

Still getting that PTR 9CT... but I like what I’ve been hearing about with the Banshee. And since 9mm Glock magazines will be abundant in the next year or so, it will be a good buy.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:31 PM, Gunnz said:

I have a sub 2k gen 2 that takes Glock mags.  It has run flawlessly and is fun to shoot.

major negative: the sights. God awful, I couldn’t even use them. I removed the crappy back flip up sight, and have a romeo 5 on it.

Same here.

I have a few thousand rounds through my 9mm Sub 2000 and it runs great.

On June 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM, Screwball said:

I have the .40 that takes M&P magazines... being I have two M&P40s.

Stock, they are borderline functional. Will it work... very likely yes. However, somewhere between airsoft and BB gun is a good comparison. Having a few other pistol caliber carbines, the SUB-2000 is nice for the folding feature, but it is as economic as you can make a functioning firearm.

With that being said, if you like the design... look up MCARBO. They do A LOT of modifications for the SUB-2000. I personally have all of their internal modifications in mine... and remember how I said it felt like an airsoft/BB gun? The MCARBO equipped gun feels like a gun.

I got on their pre-release sale, and got their new optics mount for about $100. Very nice design, and beats the other options... and still allows for folding. It will mount the SIG red-dot I have at home whenever I get situated up in ME.

Comparing the Ruger, I can't really talk much... as I always preferred the CX4 to the KelTec. However, the Ruger is encroaching 7 pounds (CX4 is under 6). The SUB-2000... 4.25 pounds. Plus, if you want flexibility with magazine compatibility... the KelTec does do a lot more than just Glock and Ruger.

Second the MCARBO mods.  I have the 9mm version that takes Glock 17 mags.  I tried the Midwest mount for my RDS.  It's a clever design that swivels out of the way to permit the gun to fold, but the retaining bolt kept loosening up, and the gun would maddeningly not hold zero.  I currently have a QD mount on there (whose name escapes me), which can be removed and replaced while holding zero.  I'm going to check the MCARBO mount that you mention.

On June 8, 2019 at 7:31 PM, Gunnz said:

I found it virtually impossible to get my head low enough to use the iron sights.  When I was able to get my cheek against the stock, I ended up with an ugly bruise.  The red dot makes a huge difference.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

Second the MCARBO mods.  I have the 9mm version that takes Glock 17 mags.  I tried the Midwest mount for my RDS.  It's a clever design that swivels out of the way to permit the gun to fold, but the retaining bolt kept loosening up, and the gun would maddeningly not hold zero.  I currently have a QD mount on there (whose name escapes me), which can be removed and replaced while holding zero.  I'm going to check the MCARBO mount that you mention.

I found it virtually impossible to get my head low enough to use the iron sights.  When I was able to get my cheek against the stock, I ended up with an ugly bruise.  The red dot makes a huge difference.  

They had it for $99 for a few days surrounding D-Day... big pro-military and L/E company. It is somewhat higher, but they are still working on getting orders out. They were sure there was going to be demand, but think they slightly underestimated it. But from the people that tried out the prototypes, it far surpasses the Midwest Industries one.

They also do a slightly higher rear sight that helps with the cheek weld. Think the mount goes for cowitness, and then you can raise it if your red dot has spacers.

I looked at it via the website and YouTube... but will be heading to NJ whenever mine ships. Only gun things I had sent to FLETC was my P30 magazine/spacer for my duty gun... and ankle holster that I had modified for my 642-1 and weapon light.

On 6/9/2019 at 10:30 PM, Screwball said:

Spend your money however you want. I’d put my MCARBOed SUB-2000 up against most other pistol caliber carbines... and would feel confident with it.

Even the stock SUB-2000s have enough rounds through them to prove they are fine. You can call it what you want, but I do not see any other 16” carbines coming in that weight, much less be able to fold in half. Some of KelTec’s firearms have teething issues, but most get squared away. But the thinking outside the box is what a lot of buyers are drawn to.

That all being said, think I narrowed down on the firearm I mentioned earlier...

https://www.cmmginc.com/product/pistol-banshee-200-mkgs-9mm/

Still getting that PTR 9CT... but I like what I’ve been hearing about with the Banshee. And since 9mm Glock magazines will be abundant in the next year or so, it will be a good buy.

Interesting. That Banshee is 24.4" inches "with the brace collapsed".  With the right type of flashider welded on and a VFG it would seem to qualify as a NJ legal non NFA firearm.

Not sure if this is worth starting a separate thread, but for those who have Kel-tec Sub 2000, curious at what height you have your optic mounted?  I'm currently using the MCARBO mount with a riser, and it seems to work OK.  But I'm wondering if others have it lower for a co-witness with the iron sights?  I'm thinking the rear sight might get in the way, and one might need to get into contortions to get low enough to see it (as with the iron sights). 

34 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Not sure if this is worth starting a separate thread, but for those who have Kel-tec Sub 2000, curious at what height you have your optic mounted?  I'm currently using the MCARBO mount with a riser, and it seems to work OK.  But I'm wondering if others have it lower for a co-witness with the iron sights?  I'm thinking the rear sight might get in the way, and one might need to get into contortions to get low enough to see it (as with the iron sights). 

How high is the riser?  It looks like that mount is setup for cowitness without a riser depending on what optic you're using.  

I have my optic on a 1 inch quick detach riser.

I don't think it's possible to get an optic low enough to co-witness unless you go with some kind of aftermarket iron sight setup.

With the stock irons I have to get REAL low to make them usable...

10 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I have my optic on a 1 inch quick detach riser.

I don't think it's possible to get an optic low enough to co-witness unless you go with some kind of aftermarket iron sight setup.

With the stock irons I have to get REAL low to make them usable...

You can definitely use something like a holosun, those things mount incredibly low. Many rds like aimpoints also have low mounts. Now, the question really is... what height is comfortable to use... I've never shot one, so I'm not sure. Cowitness is nice to have an all, but not at any sacrifice to ergonomics