GRIZ

Whar Sidearm doea the Commander of US Forces in AfghanIstan Carry?

The commander of US forces in Afghanistan rocks a 1911 as his issued sidearm
https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/irons/2019/06/06/the-commander-of-us-forces-in-afghanistan-rocks-a-1911-as-his-personal-sidearm/

This guy has an impressive resume.  82nd AB, Ranger, etc.  Went to Delta as a Captain.  He held multiple positions in Delta becoming the Commander.

He carries a 1911.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I imagine as the CO of US Forces over there he gets to damn well carry whatever he wants!! RHIP!!

I don't know about the other services but the Army Regulation governing uniforms says something to the effect of  "this regulation does not apply to General Officers".  That means a General can pretty much wear what he wants.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:26 PM, GRIZ said:

He carries a 1911.

Because he lets an 0-1 clean it for him.

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

I guess he doesnt have to worry about getting it dirty....:mosking:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I guess he doesnt have to worry about getting it dirty....:mosking:

I don't know about that.  He was at an event in Kandahar past October where several Afghani officials were assassinated.  I read an account that Miller "deployed" his M4 at that event.

He also spent 15 years with Delta Force and I hazard a guess he fired at least a few shots in anger during that time.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Because he lets an 0-1 clean it for him.

A 4 star in the the Army gets a lieutenant colonel, a major, and a captain for officer aides and several enlisted aides.  Not sure who gets assigned to clean the General's sidearm but with Miller's background my guess is he does it himself.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

..but the General is only Delta force.  What does he know?

I notice Miller has spent most of his career in Special Operations.  It's a good thing there's a career ladder for officers in Special Operations to make it to the top. 

It used to be those officers who wanted to stay in Special Operations found themselves in an up or out situation.  They had to make a choice between staying in Special Operations and wind up retiring as a Major or leave Special Operations in order to get promoted.

9 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Not sure who gets assigned to clean the General's sidearm but with Miller's background my guess is he does it himself.

You'd be suprised.

5 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

You'd be suprised.

That depends.  I'm sure the General doesn't clean his own firearms in a regular unit.  Officers in Special Operations are as much a part of the team as much as they are in command due to the small unit size.  For example, the Captain SF A Team Commander, pulls his shift on guard duty if the team is holed up somewhere for the night.

Old habits are hard to break.