Jump to content
Von973

First handgun suggestions

Recommended Posts

I’d give the other members here a price range on what you’re willing to spend to help narrow it down. I’d recommend a full size 9mm handgun. M&P9, H&K VP9, Glock17. I’d also recommend hitting a local gun shop/ range that has a decent inventory and handle the guns and shoot them before you put down money and your p2p purchasing one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can go with those three, and I'd add a Walther PPQ in 9mm to the list. For the M&P in 9mm make sure it's a 2.0 version.

That would be four major, solid 9mm pistols to consider. After you handle them at a FFL find a range where you can rent them and shoot them. It will be money well spent. Your preference will be yours to discover.

Then start saving your money. The odds are you won't be satisfied with just one.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I can go with those three, and I'd add a Walther PPQ in 9mm to the list. For the M&P in 9mm make sure it's a 2.0 version.

That would be four major, solid 9mm pistols to consider. After you handle them at a FFL find a range where you can rent them and shoot them. It will be money well spent. Your preference will be yours to discover.

Then start saving your money. The odds are you won't be satisfied with just one.

I have to shoot a Walther ppq my boss has one and says he loves it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think a full size 9mm semi auto or a .357 magnum revolver is a good choice for a first handgun.

In full size 9mm, there are S&W, Beretta, HK, Sig, Glock, CZ, Walther, and others in polymer, aluminum, and steel frames, and various trigger types. 

In a .357 Magnum revolver, you have S&W, Ruger, a few Colts and some others. In a .357 Magnum, .38 Special ammunition can be shot for lighter recoil.

Visit some stores, hold some guns, see what feels good. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pasu0115 said:

I would think a full size 9mm semi auto or a .357 magnum revolver is a good choice for a first handgun.

In full size 9mm, there are S&W, Beretta, HK, Sig, Glock, CZ, Walther, and others in polymer, aluminum, and steel frames, and various trigger types. 

In a .357 Magnum revolver, you have S&W, Ruger, a few Colts and some others. In a .357 Magnum, .38 Special ammunition can be shot for lighter recoil.

Visit some stores, hold some guns, see what feels good. 

 

I have heard a lot of good things about the CZ pistols but haven’t had a chance to rent one at the range yet and thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between the VP9, PPQ and M&P I don't think there's a 'wrong' choice. Just your preference.

I differentiate the Glock (Gen 4) solely on the basis of the trigger. It's not as good as the other three, at least not for me. But it's a workhorse, always goes bang (not saying the other three don't) and I can break down the entire pistol in three minutes with one punch. So that pistol is on my bug out or SHTF lists. Plus parts are all over the place.

Haven't shot a CZ, but have read many favorable reviews and posts. Good luck. The hunt is half the fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Between the VP9, PPQ and M&P I don't think there's a 'wrong' choice. Just your preference.

I differentiate the Glock (Gen 4) solely on the basis of the trigger. It's not as good as the other three, at least not for me. But it's a workhorse, always goes bang (not saying the other three don't) and I can break down the entire pistol in three minutes with one punch. So that pistol is on my bug out or SHTF lists. Plus parts are all over the place.

Haven't shot a CZ, but have read many favorable reviews and posts. Good luck. The hunt is half the fun.

I appreciate your input 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Von973 said:

I’m leaning towards the M&p 2.0 but I’m open to trying different guns until my FID and permit comes in 

Then I have to add my experience. I own and shoot the other three. Then I bought a full size M&P 9. The first time I shot it I lit up the target.

I was surprised. Happily. So I don't think you'd be disappointed.

But I'm keeping all the others. :icon_mrgreen:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

I have an m&p9 not the 2.0, it was my favorite until I got my hands on a H&K VP9  now that has become my favorite. 

I still favor the VP9. The trigger suits me well, and on tac nights I really like the H&K lever mag release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this going to be something for range use only? Home defense? Are you consider competitions such as IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge Matches, etc?  Do you have any formal training with firearms?  All things to be considered.  I know you said you are new to handgun ownership, but not sure if are new to guns or gun use in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

VP9 is the full sized model I believe the vp9sk is there smaller version. You can’t really go wrong like the others have stated, it really comes down to personal preferences and how well you shoot each one basically. 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

Is this going to be something for range use only? Home defense? Are you consider competitions such as IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge Matches, etc?  Do you have any formal training with firearms?  All things to be considered.  I know you said you are new to handgun ownership, but not sure if are new to guns or gun use in general. 

Yes a super newbie lol but it will be the range and possibly home defense. I do not have any training but I plan on getting as much training as possible. I've been shooting a few times but I’m new to guns and gun use. 

1 minute ago, Matroskin said:

I would vote against VP9, I have it but the mags are expensive and maintenance is complex.

glock if it fits your hand but m&p checks all the boxes.

also CZ p10 c is a good option with trigger out of box better than glock and m&p.

Thanks for the input 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Von973 said:

I appreciate it I have been to the range a few times with friends and I like the m&p 9 2.0, I haven’t had a chance to shoot a H&K vp9 or the glock 17 but I did shoot a glock 19

If you shot a Glock 19 you pretty much have a good idea what a Glock 17 is like.  Going to the range with friends and trying their guns is a good idea.  IMO the Glock 19 is the best all around 9mm made.

Spend some time figuring out what else you want to try before you go renting guns.  You can easily can spend more than your gun is going to cost on rentals.

Keep in mind that you will spend thousands more than the original price of your gun on ammo.  Taking that into account for a centerfire handgun a 9mm in a semiauto or 38/357 in a revolver makes sense.

I've always been of the opinion that a double action revolver is a good handgun to start with.  It takes a bit more to learn the DA pull but when you master a DA revolver everything else is easy. JMO.

Getting some instruction is important. You can take formal classes or learn from an experienced shooter.  Doing this early will save you a lot of time and ammunition.  It will also help you prevent developing bad habits that will be difficult to break.  I know many good shooters who were self taught.  They will never be great shooters because of the bad habits they developed.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

If you shot a Glock 19 you pretty much have a good idea what a Glock 17 is like.  Going to the range with friends and trying their guns is a good idea.  IMO the Glock 19 is the best all around 9mm made.

Spend some time figuring out what else you want to try before you go renting guns.  You can easily can spend more than your gun is going to cost on rentals.

Keep in mind that you will spend thousands more than the original price of your gun on ammo.  Taking that into account for a centerfire handgun a 9mm in a semiauto or 38/357 in a revolver makes sense.

I've always been of the opinion that a double action revolver is a good handgun to start with.  It takes a bit more to learn the DA pull but when you master a DA revolver everything else is easy. JMO.

Getting some instruction is important. You can take formal classes or learn from an experienced shooter.  Doing this early will save you a lot of time and ammunition.  It will also help you prevent developing bad habits that will be difficult to break.  I know many good shooters who were self taught.  They will never be great shooters because of the bad habits they developed.

Thanks for the info

22 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Do it.

try a Sig 320 first though 

Will do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously this topic has been discussed a lot on forums, youtube, print and social media, at gunshops and wherever. 

But my answer always is the same.  A 4 inch 357 is an excellent option.   It is capable of doing everything you need.  They are reliable, cost effective and last forever.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do yourself a favor and try to get some trigger time with a CZ before you make a decision .  CZ-75 or CZ-SP01 for a full size or CZ-P01 for midsized handgun.  

Try as many guns as possible.  And as  Ray Ray said, don't exclude revolvers.  Revolvers are simple to operate, understand and clean.  And with a 357 you can also shoot the much softer shooting 38s through it.  Revolvers are great first time handguns.

Good luck and enjoy trying as many as possible.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big proponent of starting with a .22, maybe a Ruger Mk IV, Browning Buckmark, or S&W Victory.  Try before you buy if at all possible, but at least handle them.    Nothing teaches the basics of marksmanship like a .22.

Then plan to follow it up with a centerfire purchase, and there are some good recommendations for those in the thread above.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • NJGF members in chat (2)



×
×
  • Create New...