Von973

First handgun suggestions

55 minutes ago, 10X said:

Nothing teaches the basics of marksmanship like a .22.

Not to mention...  with a .22, you get all of that initial training and learning done at far lower cost (due to the lower ammo cost). I truly think a modestly priced .22 will pay for itself over time with the ammo cost savings.

Then, once the OP gets a centerfire and is a more experienced shooter... it will be time to turn to the next phase of gun ownership... becoming a good "ambassador of the shooting sports". For that phase, once again, it's nice to have a .22 when you bring your own newbs to the range. Be future-oriented with your purchase! :good: 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

it will be time to turn to the next phase of gun ownership... becoming a good "ambassador of the shooting sports". For that phase, once again, it's nice to have a .22 when you bring your own newbs to the range. Be future-oriented with your purchase! :good: 

That's an important point.   I always try to take 6 first-timers to the range every year.  It's not much, it's not enough, but I like to think I'm flipping a few votes over to our side.    And they always have a great time.

The first two this year were college students from England (ok, no NJ votes flipped there), both studying at TCNJ for the semester, and both determined to get out shooting before they returned home, where they would have no access to firearms due to England's draconian gun laws.   Range time in the US was a bucket-list item for them, and they found me right after finals, and just a few days before their flights home.   We worked through a variety of .22 and centerfire rifles and pistols,  and I've never seen such happy young people--they were absolutely giddy to have the chance to go shooting.

• Like 1

Yes. The idea of learning on a 22 has many pluses. Maybe the OP might want to look into getting a 9mm or .40 handgun along with getting a .22lr conversion kit for it. That way it's like having 2 pistols but for less money. Also, you will be training on the same platform. Same frame and grip, same trigger pull, same manual of arms etc..

1 hour ago, 10X said:

I'm a big proponent of starting with a .22, maybe a Ruger Mk IV, Browning Buckmark, or S&W Victory.  Try before you buy if at all possible, but at least handle them.    Nothing teaches the basics of marksmanship like a .22.

Then plan to follow it up with a centerfire purchase, and there are some good recommendations for those in the thread above.

Thanks

Try out EVERYTHING and find what you like best.

Back when I first started I was dead set on buying a Glock 19.  Then I tried @Ray Ray's Beretta Px4 Storm and fell in love with it.   That was my first pistol.

I generally stick to 9mm and .38/.357 as well, though a nice .22LR is a good pistol to practice on for cheap.  Hammer fired, Striker Fired... both have their own benefits

My collection covers pretty much all of the basics.

DA/SA Hammer Fired:
Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm
Beretta M9A3 9mm
Sig P226 9mm

SAO Hammer Fired:
FN Hi Power 9mm

Striker Fired:
S&W M&P 9L 9mm
S&W M&P Shield 9mm
Glock 19 Gen 5 9mm
Beretta Nano 9mm
Beretta Neos .22LR

Revolvers:
Colt Peacekeeper .357
S&W 686-3 .357
Ruger Wrangler .22LR

You're more than welcome to try any of them out if you wanna hit up the range.  If you go to RTSP Union you're probably pretty close by.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Try out EVERYTHING and find what you like best.

Back when I first started I was dead set on buying a Glock 19.  Then I tried @Ray Ray's Beretta Px4 Storm and fell in love with it.   That was my first pistol.

I generally stick to 9mm and .38/.357 as well, though a nice .22LR is a good pistol to practice on for cheap.  Hammer fired, Striker Fired... both have their own benefits

My collection covers pretty much all of the basics.

DA/SA Hammer Fired:
Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm
Beretta M9A3 9mm
Sig P226 9mm

SAO Hammer Fired:
FN Hi Power 9mm

Striker Fired:
S&W M&P 9L 9mm
S&W M&P Shield 9mm
Glock 19 Gen 5 9mm
Beretta Nano 9mm
Beretta Neos .22LR

Revolvers:
Colt Peacekeeper .357
S&W 686-3 .357
Ruger Wrangler .22LR

You're more than welcome to try any of them out if you wanna hit up the range.  If you go to RTSP Union you're probably pretty close by.

Thanks I appreciate the breakdown. 

6 minutes ago, Von973 said:

Thanks I appreciate the breakdown. 

It's a flawed list.   One shouldn't have that many nice handguns without a couple of 1911's in the mix.

• Agree 2

What Cult do you want to belong to?

As a gun universalist, I believe all firearms are cool, it would be tough to go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here so far.

I do think for your first gun, buy something reasonably priced and main stream.  Odds are you don't know WTF you want or what your preferences are... and they will all change anyway.  There is no sense buying something super specific that you will have issues selling in the future, i.e. CZ 75 SP01, Sig P226, HK P30, 1911s, Springfield XDM, any FN, etc.  They are great guns... but resale value on them blows... why?  Not quite mainstream.

For first gun, assuming you have one pistol permit?

Around $300 - Ruger Security 9

$400 to $500 - M&P 9mm

$500 to $550/$600 - CZ P10C, Glock 19, Sig P320

I would not spend more than that on a first gun.

Sig P320 is nice that it is modular (big deal in NJ), but not sure of accessory prices.  I am not crazy about the trigger, very plasticy feel.

I do not recommend any HK for first gun as mags and accessories are STUPID EXPENSIVE, unless you are $$$$ bags or buying a gun to impress someone.

Ruger Security 9 for around $300 is a great gun with a nice trigger.  Very low cost investment to get you going and practicing.

M&P 9 is a solid pistol with fairly cheap accessories (mags, holsters, etc) and won't hold you back.  Again, cheap enough not to regret buying one (as long as it is not in 40 sw).

CZ P10C, is unique as that it is cultish and mags are a bit expensive and you will have a hard time selling it... but it is a solid pistol and at the top end of what a striker fired pistol should be.

Glock 19 is the Toyota Camry of the gun world.  Solid, reliable.  Gen 5 brings nice upgrades.  Mags and accessories are really cheap.

I would apply for more permits and at least pick up another 22 LR pistol so you can really practice, a lot.

8 minutes ago, Maksim said:

What Cult do you want to belong to?

As a gun universalist, I believe all firearms are cool, it would be tough to go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here so far.

I do think for your first gun, buy something reasonably priced and main stream.  Odds are you don't know WTF you want or what your preferences are... and they will all change anyway.  There is no sense buying something super specific that you will have issues selling in the future, i.e. CZ 75 SP01, Sig P226, HK P30, 1911s, Springfield XDM, any FN, etc.  They are great guns... but resale value on them blows... why?  Not quite mainstream.

For first gun, assuming you have one pistol permit?

Around $300 - Ruger Security 9

$400 to $500 - M&P 9mm

$500 to $550/$600 - CZ P10C, Glock 19, Sig P320

I would not spend more than that on a first gun.

Sig P320 is nice that it is modular (big deal in NJ), but not sure of accessory prices.  I am not crazy about the trigger, very plasticy feel.

I do not recommend any HK for first gun as mags and accessories are STUPID EXPENSIVE, unless you are $$$$ bags or buying a gun to impress someone.

Ruger Security 9 for around $300 is a great gun with a nice trigger.  Very low cost investment to get you going and practicing.

M&P 9 is a solid pistol with fairly cheap accessories (mags, holsters, etc) and won't hold you back.  Again, cheap enough not to regret buying one (as long as it is not in 40 sw).

CZ P10C, is unique as that it is cultish and mags are a bit expensive and you will have a hard time selling it... but it is a solid pistol and at the top end of what a striker fired pistol should be.

Glock 19 is the Toyota Camry of the gun world.  Solid, reliable.  Gen 5 brings nice upgrades.  Mags and accessories are really cheap.

I would apply for more permits and at least pick up another 22 LR pistol so you can really practice, a lot.

Thanks and I should have applied for 2 or 3 permits now I know 

used 9mm Glocks are pretty cheap and run forever.. my first gun was a Glock 23 but ended up switching to 9MM.. still in Glocks.. some people hate them because of how they feel but I have no issue with it.. gun runs great.. 

low cost.. super reliable.. parts always available.. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 8:28 PM, Von973 said:

I know it’s all personal preference but what would be some suggestions on a first handgun to a new gun owner..ps I am still waiting on my FID and handgun permit 

After reading through this thread, it seems all the members here have given you good advice and suggested fine handguns for a first time owner. My advice would be, compile a list of pistols you're interested in, in the caliber you want. Go to as many gun shops and or ranges that rent guns and handle them. Grip like you would use it. If for whatever reason it doesn't feel right, put it down and try another to you find one that feels good in your hand. Eventually you will. That's the first step in your journey.  What I think is the cat's meow, may not be for You. Second. I'm sure you've been researching the internet and watching YouTube videos. There's nothing wrong with that.  We all do. But, don't get hung up on which handgun is more accurate. All modern handguns are more accurate than 99% of us can shoot them. Even a cheap HiPoint. Remember it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Get the one that you want that feels good in your hand, and practice, practice, practice. That is where caliber/cost comes into play. So that is also a personal decision depending on your finances. 

2 hours ago, Locker50 said:

After reading through this thread, it seems all the members here have given you good advice and suggested fine handguns for a first time owner. My advice would be, compile a list of pistols you're interested in, in the caliber you want. Go to as many gun shops and or ranges that rent guns and handle them. Grip like you would use it. If for whatever reason it doesn't feel right, put it down and try another to you find one that feels good in your hand. Eventually you will. That's the first step in your journey.  What I think is the cat's meow, may not be for You. Second. I'm sure you've been researching the internet and watching YouTube videos. There's nothing wrong with that.  We all do. But, don't get hung up on which handgun is more accurate. All modern handguns are more accurate than 99% of us can shoot them. Even a cheap HiPoint. Remember it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Get the one that you want that feels good in your hand, and practice, practice, practice. That is where caliber/cost comes into play. So that is also a personal decision depending on your finances. 

Thank you 

I really want to say thank you all for the input and advice I really do appreciate thank you. 

3 hours ago, Locker50 said:

" All modern handguns are more accurate than 99% of us can shoot them. Even a cheap HiPoint. Remember it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Get the one that you want that feels good in your hand, and practice, practice, practice. That is where caliber/cost comes into play. So that is also a personal decision depending on your finances."

Let's not get carried away there. =)

There were also some M&P's that could not shoot minute of barn at 25 yards. =)

12 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Let's not get carried away there. =)

There were also some M&P's that could not shoot minute of barn at 25 yards. =)

Would it make you feel better if I said most instead of all? Remember  we're  trying to help a new shooter who wants a handgun. Would I recommend a Hipoint? Of course not. Never owned one. Never will. And I stand by my comment about most new handguns. Almost all are more accurate than 99% of us can shoot em.  Are there lemons that were made? Of course. Have you tested lots of handguns in a ransom rest? I have. Can YOU duplicate those results in real life , free hand? I can't.  I've watched guys blow away guys while shooting sub compacts,  and getting way better groups than guys shooting Walther PPQ Match's and CZ Shadow 2's .,at ranges out to 40 yds. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Locker50 said:

Would it make you feel better if I said most instead of all? Remember  we're  trying to help a new shooter who wants a handgun. Would I recommend a Hipoint? Of course not. Never owned one. Never will. And I stand by my comment about most new handguns. Almost all are more accurate than 99% of us can shoot em.  Are there lemons that were made? Of course. Have you tested lots of handguns in a ransom rest? I have. Can YOU duplicate those results in real life , free hand? I can't.  I've watched guys blow away guys while shooting sub compacts,  and getting way better groups than guys shooting Walther PPQ Match's and CZ Shadow 2's .,at ranges out to 40 yds. 

Hehe... oh believe me, you are preaching to the choir. I do agree.  Just wanted to make a hi-point joke.

Generally out to most distances the gun will be more accurate than the shooter and in many cases it is the garbage ammo that will account for most of the shift.

As long as they are $300+ firearms, generally accuracy will not be an issue and I agree 100%... it should not be a driving factor for most people.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, 10X said:

On 6/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, 10X said:

I'm a big proponent of starting with a .22, maybe a Ruger Mk IV, Browning Buckmark, or S&W Victory.  Try before you buy if at all possible, but at least handle them.    Nothing teaches the basics of marksmanship like a .22.

Then plan to follow it up with a centerfire purchase, and there are some good recommendations for those in the thread above.

If I were to do it again, I would also start off with a ruger mkiv 22 for my first pistol. Perhaps a S&W 617 model .22 revolver if that's what you fancy.  With that said..

"What gun should I buy" Is kind of a ridiculous question to ask the internet, you'll get a million strangers telling you what to buy. Some good suggestions, probably some not so good ones. 

Most or at least many people will have no idea what you need or what makes sense for YOU.  Go to your local dealer and discuss the options!